AMD Intros Branded Desktop Memory Modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

lashabane

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
This should be interesting. Gotta ask myself two questions:

1) What are these going to look like? Cool green heatspreaders or anything else like that?

2) Who's going to sue AMD for this?

*Off topic edit*
What's with the first two postings using similar wording lately? Hadn't seen amk's posting before making mine.

yahh, this is how amd will attak intel and taek over. intel has no endorsed ram. bad for intel.
sounds like a stealth move to bring rambus (amd uses their ram for their upcoming high end gfx cards) back into ram business. :)<
will they help play crysis with a llano? only if ddr speeds reach up to gddr4-gddr5 levels.
edit: on second thought, these rams (1600+) will look so good with a new core i5 2500k +z68+ 6950 build. :)

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]yahh, this is how amd will attak intel and taek over. intel has no endorsed ram. bad for intel.sounds like a stealth move to bring rambus (amd uses their ram for their upcoming high end gfx cards) back into ram business. :)<will they help play crysis with a llano? only if ddr speeds reach up to gddr4-gddr5 levels.[/citation]
Intel does have a validation program for RAM but it's restricted to server and workstation. But it's not all about the platform or processor chosen. BIOS plays important role with memory support regardless of an approval sticker and there lies the problem. For instance, most motherboard makers will block ECC RAM support in cheap desktop boards even if the platform supports so users can't make cheap stable servers. Instead they must purchase much more expensive server/workstation boards in order to get ECC enabled.

supall

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Hmmm, so does that mean TomsHardware should build and bench AMD-centric systems to see how well they perform when certain components are replaced with non-AMD components? I would like to see if there is a difference in performance, even if its marginal.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
who remembers reading about this on here? i think it might of been part of forum or some news with this thing featured in the pic. Ive seen it listed on NCIX for while. However, it was only the value RAM.

ltdementhial

Aug 20, 2011
[citation][nom]buzznut[/nom]Is this like the G2 Patriot modules I've been seeing on newegg recently?[/citation]

something like that...

AMD is not entering THE memory market as a ensambler like RAMBUS, Samsung, Hynix etc etc...they are making a marketing strategy to sell some "signature modules" like the one @buzznut said...like the old OCZ Ati Series the nvidia.
or the intel

[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]That's.. interesting. Certainly a good buy for an AMD enthusiast, if the performance/reliability is okay.[/citation]

Last time I checked they were 1333MHz modules running CAS 9 so not that great performance.

I will stick with Corsair until, well until they start to suck.

TheViper

Distinguished
So how many AMD platform owners will simply buy an AMD branded memory kit thinking it will automatically be compatible with their motherboard only to have it not boot up?

Always check for compatibility. ALWAYS.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]digiex[/nom]I read this news way back this year.Common, recycled news.[/citation]
Then it was a rumor, now it is confirmed fact.

Probably nothing special... The only thing setting them apart from others on the market will be color, heat spreader (if there is one), and the sticker on it. I think between G.Skill, Corsair, Mushkin, Micron/Crucial... there's plenty of choices already.

I guess we'll have to see how generic they are/look.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
AMD isn't really getting into ram, since they are just having other manufacturers make this. It seems like an odd move to me since it may alienate other ram manufacturers.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
"this is how amd will attak intel and take over" I don't think AMD having their own memory isn't going to effect Intel any too much, especially when their are a bunch of other brands out their. Plus I don't think Intel will let PC manufactures ship Intel systems with AMD brand ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.