News AMD Investigating USB Connectivity Issues with Ryzen PCs

Reginald_Peebottom

Honorable
Apr 6, 2017
It’s interesting the timing of this article for me - I have two B450 gigabyte chipset mobos (different models) and the ‘lesser’ model with a Ryzen3 1200 has occasionally, but consistently in the sense that it happens with some regularity, lost USB connection with my MS wireless keyboard/mouse combo. Unplug and replug and it works again until the next reboot (it only seems to do it once per session). If I use a PCIe USB 3 add on card, no issue. Other mobo - no issues with the same keyboard mouse combo.

Perhaps this is just coincidental, but, I have occasionally had issues with non intel chipsets (via, amd, and not surprisingly SiS) - not often and usually they are odd little problems or issues. I am not an intel fanboy and obviously own more than one amd system including a ryzen powered gaming laptop (works goodly) but there is something more solid about intel products as unscientific as that belief I have may be.

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Yeah, AMD has certainly produced high-performing CPUs over its history, but I would never expect dependable IO connectivity from an AMD system. Probably fine for everyday users in most cases, but I would not expect it to be in the same category as a decent Intel system. Just too many intermittent problems with AMD systems really. Stability is generally good, but not 24/7/365 good.

Also, for those that like to blame Windows, if a device doesn't work as expected with Windows, it's usually a faulty driver or device design that's to blame. Not always, of course, but most of the time.

Sergei Tachenov

Commendable
Jan 22, 2021
I have a B550 mobo with 3700X, no problems with USB whatsoever. But I heard that this problem only appears when PCIe4 devices are present. Funny enough, I tried to install an NVMe4 SSD, but it didn't work at all (wasn't even recognized). I just returned it to the seller, no questions asked, so I don't really know whether it was a faulty SSD or some problem with mobo. And I don't have a PCIe4 GPU either (still on RTX 2060, with these crazy prices...).

Also, for those that like to blame Windows, if a device doesn't work as expected with Windows, it's usually a faulty driver or device design that's to blame. Not always, of course, but most of the time.
And according to the rumors, the problem only appears with USB devices using Microsoft drivers, so blaming Microsoft is a natural thing. I'm neither a fan nor a hater of neither Microsoft nor AMD, but if the rumors are true and the same systems work just fine in Linux, then it's only logical to suppose that Microsoft's driver is to blame.

Reactions: RodroX
Feb 23, 2021
Consistently in the sense that it happens with some regularity, lost USB connection with my MS wireless keyboard/mouse combo. Unplug and replug and it works again until the next reboot (it only seems to do it once per session). If I use a PCIe USB 3 add on card, no issue. Other mobo - no issues with the same keyboard mouse combo FaceTime PC .

Last edited:
I have never had such issues with any AMD system I have used, including ones using 500 series motherboards.
same, I'm on a b550 board with a 3600, my motherboard sports both usb3 and usb-c (3.2) connectivity, I have 10+ usb devices plugged into my system at any given time, and I've never seen this.

Yeah, AMD has certainly produced high-performing CPUs over its history, but I would never expect dependable IO connectivity from an AMD system. Probably fine for everyday users in most cases, but I would not expect it to be in the same category as a decent Intel system. Just too many intermittent problems with AMD systems really. Stability is generally good, but not 24/7/365 good.

hahahah. oh man, dude i don't mean to make fun of you but the number of USB errors that have plagued intel systems over the years is innumerable. they had 2 generations of motherboard that sported some of the worst USB3 connectivity I've ever seen with known bugs across entire platforms (back around ib/sb, people just sucked it up cause there was no real option from AMD) Broadwell brought its own USB issues early on before intel finally licked it with some bios updates. Yes, it's been a little while since intel had usb problems, but dude, take off those blue sunglasses you got on. Team blue has had some epic issues over the years right out of the box... including it's current chips (though they're not USB ones).

and as I said earlier in this post, I've never seen this problem, and I'm a borderline power user, just a step under someone doing 3d rendering or CAD for a living and I've never seen it. That's not to say this isn't a real problem, but that it's probably not chipset or physical chip design causing it. it's probably a driver issue.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021
Spot on... I used to have intermittent problems until I realised that it was due to microsoft power saving profiles that was causing usb devices to enter power saving mode and drop out.
I have had issues with my wireless keyboard and mouse on my desktop X570 mobo. Trying out disabling USB selective suspend setting in my current Power Plan to see if that is a workaround for now.

Sergei Tachenov

Commendable
Jan 22, 2021
same, I'm on a b550 board with a 3600, my motherboard sports both usb3 and usb-c (3.2) connectivity, I have 10+ usb devices plugged into my system at any given time, and I've never seen this.
According to the same rumor that says about this issue having something to do with Windows and PCIe4, it also seems to happen most often with USB 2.0, while USB 3.x is working fine.

kyzarvs

Distinguished

My 8350-based VM host is into its sixth year of uptime. That's 6+ years of 24/7.
My CMS host is Ryzen-based and into it's second year of uptime - it's newer so hasn't had as long and I had to reboot it in 2019 for a patch.
My company sells software installed on HP Proliant micro-servers with AMD CPU's - I don't think any of the 45 installed has an uptime of less than 6 months. The iLO ports fail sometimes, but that's an HP part, not AMD and we've had it fail on Intel and AMD systems.

Obviously, none are running Windows, which is where I'd more likely look for a solution. As someone else said if the default WHQL driver (y'know the ones Microsoft certify to the manufacturer that they work) fails... Call Microsoft. WHQL is meant to inform manufacturers of issues so they can resolve them, if WHQL isn't doing its part to properly test and identify bugs then it's the WHQL process at fault. Given the rough n' ready state of many W10 updates going back 2 years or more, I'd squarely put the blame at their door.

Last edited:
Reactions: Makaveli

Drazen

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2015
Yeah, few issues :mad:
I submitted issue to AMD months ago and nothing!

In my case I have RGB mouse pad connected to USB 2. Almost every day, every few hours I hear Windows dig dong ding melody when USB device is plugged/unplugged and mouse pad looses lights for second or two.
Very interestingly, I didn't noticed this today!
Also my wireless keyboard looses connection, almost every day. Mouse is ok but it is on separate USB receiver.

So, AMD, issue is serious and my problems are nothing compared to ones posed on Reddit - usually VR related, probably when USB is heavy loaded!

The PC I build about 8 month ago with a X570 motherboard + R5 3600 never had this issue. Drivers is only one of the many things that can cause USB connectivity issues, bad grounding is another one, and there are more.

(Please if you happend to read the following do things at your own risk, be sure to unplug everything from the wall, use rubber shoes, and if you don't know what you are doing, leave the work for someone who actually knows)

The first step for all those having this isuses with USB connectivity will be updating usb drivers. The second step will be updating the device drivers. Next will be to build the whole system outside the case, over a wooden board, and test how it goes.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021
100% windows problem. I had USB problems with intel system as well a year ago .. like external storage not detected after unplugging them and then replugging. later it was fixed by MS. no worries.

Zatanus

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
That's true.
I had until few months ago a X370 Taichi in wich I had my Ryzen 9 3950X. Some weird random issues at turn it on toke me to a MoBo change. So I bought my Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro (Wi-Fi). No more turning-on random issues. But then the sound of Windows device disconnection began to be heard randomly. Later I found out that it was my front multi card reader attached to a internal USB 2.0 header. Windows device manager sometimes showed it with an "unknown error" or "failed to start" flag.
My only solution was unattach from the header, as I actually not using that Multi card reader anyway.
I thought it was a driver error or something, for not having done a clean installation from scratch of the Operating System.
I forgot about it and went on with my life. 😕

My specs includes: a Zotac GTX 1660 Ti Amp DDR6, and a Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe4 PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280. :unsure:

TRENDING THREADS