News AMD Issues Fix and Workaround for fTPM Stuttering Issues

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
I don't think I've noticed this with any of my systems with it enabled, but I guess it's good it's getting fixed.
On my systems a hardware TPM would not be possible, because the geniuses that designed them put the hardware TPM right below the video card slot and hardware TPMs are tall as hell.

AMD systems are pretty brutal with USB devices powering down on non high performance settings at the OS, but that's a me being power-conscious issue.

Mar 7, 2022
I don't think I've noticed this with any of my systems with it enabled, but I guess it's good it's getting fixed.
On my systems a hardware TPM would not be possible, because the geniuses that designed them put the hardware TPM right below the video card slot and hardware TPMs are tall as hell.

AMD systems are pretty brutal with USB devices powering down on non high performance settings at the OS, but that's a me being power-conscious issue.

I upgraded to win 11 when it went public and since i do not have a TPM module i used the fTPM and all seemed fine and no issues it was not till months later that the stuttering started and i suspect it started after a windows update that probably changed how windows interacts with the TPM, but ever since then I have been getting random stutters several times a day and when it first happened i shrugged it off as a random thing but the more it happened it started to worry me as it was ether something compromised my PC or failing hardware but yeah a long google and linked it to fTPM, its frustrating that Microsoft are enforcing it as a requirement even if you do not use drive encryption.

I might invest in a TPM module to make the issue go away as they are only about £20 as I do not think Asus will be in any hurry to push out a new bios for the ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING, also about the location of your TPM pins well thats really silly but also if i remember correctly you can get an extension cable to plug it in and relocate it

The best of the best solution now is to stick with windows 10......
Yeah, there seem to be too many people willing to beta test Microsoft's updated OS right after it launches, then wondering why things don't work properly. It's probably a good idea to wait at least a year or so after the official launch for most of the glaring issues to get ironed out before installing it on any regularly-used system.

As it is, I don't really see much benefit in using Windows 11 at this point. No software requires it. Performance improvements and regressions seem like a mixed bag. It doesn't add any must-have, or even notable features. And a lot of the changes it does make to the UI seem to be widely disliked. It's pretty much just Windows 10 mostly covered with a new coat of paint that is not quite finished and still in need of some drying time.

I suppose if someone is building a new system, and doesn't want to reinstall their OS later it might be reasonable to go with Windows 11 from the start, particularly if they are building it around the new Intel CPUs that don't support prior OSes quite as well, but it doesn't make as much sense to install it on an existing system.

Reactions: phenomiix6

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Speak of the devil. I've been scratching my head with this problem last night, ended up disabling TPM altogether. The PC kept crashing, stuttering, sometimes the screen would go black when idle. And whenever that happens, Event Viewer shows something in the tune of "certificate authentication failed". The fact the fix comes later in May is somewhat of a bummer, but at least we know a fix is coming.

The best of the best solution now is to stick with windows 10......

I'm running Windows 10 as we speak.

russell_john

Honorable
Mar 25, 2018

I've had fTPM enabled on Win 10 since I built this system in fall 2020 and haven't had any issues nor have I had any USB issues .... My wireless mouse dropped on me twice but twice in over a year seems normal Windows glitching and unplugging and plugging it back immediately resolved the issue

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
I've had fTPM enabled on Win 10 since I built this system in fall 2020 and haven't had any issues nor have I had any USB issues .... My wireless mouse dropped on me twice but twice in over a year seems normal Windows glitching and unplugging and plugging it back immediately resolved the issue

It's not so much a USB issue, it's just that I have balanced power settings, with turn off unused USB devices, and unlike Intel systems, it does turn off the devices when unused, which kinda surprised me, as a former long time Intel user.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I been getting this once a week for a few months, just ignoring it for most part until I recently decided to try to fix it. Now I see I just wait for a BIOS update.

Win 10 isn't finished, it never will be, so I guess all the people here saying win 11 is beta must be on win 7 still?

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I've been getting these stutters on a 3900x CPU and x580 mobo for a long time. They're infrequent enough to just be annoyances. I would never have thought the fTPM could cause this kind of system behavior! Will have to keep a look out for those patches.

nukem950

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
Does anyone have a non-deeplink for the Microsoft page? I am dropping traffic on the intermediate tracking website, ojrq.net, which means I cannot use the link.

Yeah, I have this stuttering problem once in a while on my Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero X570 mobo (latest bios 4004 with AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.6b ).
CPU: Ryzen 9 3950X CPU
GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB TUF GAMING OC
O/S: Windows 10 64-bit Pro for the foreseeable future.

I was wondering if I could just disable fTPM in Bios, since I don't use Bitlocker or any other Drive Encryption?
Without the need for buying and installing a separate ASUS TPM-M R2.0 TPM-Module (which btw. my mobo supports).

Then I was wondering if this fTPM issue also cause sound crackling on my Sennhesiser (Epos) 670 Headset connected via USB-dongle (wireless)?
Only in games and just once in a while and never a sound problem if I use my stereo speakers (Realtek sound).

Best regards from Sweden

Last edited:

russell_john

Honorable
Mar 25, 2018
It's not so much a USB issue, it's just that I have balanced power settings, with turn off unused USB devices, and unlike Intel systems, it does turn off the devices when unused, which kinda surprised me, as a former long time Intel user.

My UPS has a power usage logging feature and when I built this system in late 2020 I did a little experiment with power profiles. I used the balanced setting for a couple of days and logged the electricity usage and then I used the Ryzen High Performance power settings for a couple of days and again logged the electricity usage, compared the results and did a little basic math and found the balanced settings would only save me $2-3 a year in electricity and is just not worth it for a desktop. I think those are really more for laptop use where battery life is more important than raw power so I've stuck with the high performance profile ever since ... For instance right now doing this with 5 tabs open in chrome I'm only using 90 watts of power total and that includes the 32" monitor .... My old FX8310 and 27" monitor which was maybe have as powerful as this used 125 watts in the same scenario. Modern CPUs a really quite efficient for the power they deliver

Last edited:

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
My UPS has a power usage logging feature and when I built this system in late 2020 I did a little experiment with power profiles. I used the balanced setting for a couple of days and logged the electricity usage and then I used the Ryzen High Performance power settings for a couple of days and again logged the electricity usage, compared the results and did a little basic math and found the balanced settings would only save me $2-3 a year in electricity and is just not worth it for a desktop. I think those are really more for laptop use where battery life is more important than raw power so I've stuck with the high performance profile ever since ... For instance right now doing this with 5 tabs open in chrome I'm only using 90 watts of power total and that includes the 32" monitor .... My old FX8310 and 27" monitor which was maybe have as powerful as this used 125 watts in the same scenario. Modern CPUs a really quite efficient for the power they deliver

Huh, that's quite surprising then!

I'm going to get a power meter then and give it a shot, It only bothers me watching movies when it turns off my mice, but thank you!

I'm going to get a power meter then and give it a shot, It only bothers me watching movies when it turns off my mice, but thank you!
You should be able to adjust the USB sleep setting independent of the overall power plan setting in Windows too. I believe you go to "Control Panel > Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings" where you can find the "USB Settings" in Windows 10.

You should be able to adjust the USB sleep setting independent of the overall power plan setting in Windows too. I believe you go to "Control Panel > Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings" where you can find the "USB Settings" in Windows 10.

On a laptop it make sense to have this activated as it saves energy somewhat(?) but on a stationary PC disable it.
Also make sure You use Amd Ryzen power plan - balanced is good enough since you also can adjust energy savings for the processor Min and Max. For ex. Min 5% Max 100%.
And with Amd Ryzen Balanced power plan it should be less VID Voltage to the CPU under idle (compared to High performance power plan) and therefore less stress on the CPU.

sample pictures. Use balanced instead of high performmance power plan - my tip. It really makes no diffrense regarding fps in games that I have seen, but better for the cpu and motherboard in a long term.
usb-selective-suspend.jpg

processor-power-management.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Sleepy_Hollowed

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019

Well, cant blame them because 99.99999% of diy home users do not use tpm at all.

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
I came across this article on google trying to track down why in the world my stout specced gaming pc for even 1440p high refresh rate gaming has horrible random lags/stutters in games of all ages, from old Resident Evil 5, to Dead by Daylight, to 7 Days to Die, to the new Evil Dead game, to Fortnite. With a 3700x, 32gb 3000mhz, 3070 gpu, two sata ssd, four 7200rpm hdd. I've done EXTENSIVE testing and I believe I'm plagued by this issue, HOWEVER, I believe I am ALSO dealing with a flakey mobo, since, attempting to update my b450 asus mobo to anything newer than an Aug 2021 bios results in either BSOD like crazy and system crashing/freezing (March 2022 bios I tried) or! outright instantly freezing the entire pc like the new beta bios with this supposed fTPM fix Asus customer support emailed me earlier. Currently trying an older Feb 2021 bios, this pc didn't used to do this stuttering crap, and I've played all sorts of games in the past with way weaker pc in comparison without any problems so this has been an extremely depressing past few weeks to say the least. I know my 3000mhz ram is less than "ideal" but, in gaming benchmarks online, at 1440p, there was very little to no difference going from 2933mhz-3600mhz ddr4.

I've ordered a new psu, b450 mobo, and case to frankenstein together a second pc, not having a modern ddr4 system to troubleshoot and test stuff on has really really sucked. I guess I took for granted having a modern (at the time) ddr3 system in years prior to test stuff on. I've literally done all I can do with testing, all drives check out fine, ram is fine, switched out gpu and it still did the same thing so gpu is fine, newest chipset drivers, clean windows install actually made this stuttering issue worse oddly, I'm on win10 64bit pro, heard wayyyyyy too many bad things about w11 to want to go to it.

If I could do life over again, honestly, I would have just went with an 8700k system years ago, I still have two personal friends on them in my small circle as I've gotten older, and, they've not had one single problem in years. I've certainly had my share of woes with ryzen getting ram to the right speed with first gen ryzen, my 1700 was a dunce of a sample, it couldn't handle fast ram plus an OC so it was crippled in way one or the other- i.e. an OC and refusing to boot with anything over slow 2133 speed ram which crippled it, or meh stock speeds and 2933 ram. At the present, finding out this apparent widespread fTPM issue with ryzens, I'm sorta regretting ordering a b450 mobo and case when I could have went 12400f and b660 mobo for around the same price, but, I'm not 100% ruling out a psu as an issue so I kinda HAD to order one of those... I'd wager even an older 10th gen 6 core 12 thread i5 would be fine for this entire console gen, I didn't end up streaming like I thought I would so the extra cores in the 1700/3700x didn't end up benefitting me much, and, encoding can be put on the gpu these days anyway.

I've been staying up late every night going down rabbit holes reading on what in the world this could be and trying things and doing extensive testing and something with the mobo has to be what's wrong with my system. I followed a 20 min long youtube vid last night doing weird stuff in powershell to "fix win10 micro stutter" but it didn't help either, I did a system restore to revert those changes. I noticed in msi afterburner, my fps drops/lagging/stuttering happens at the same time the frametime ms goes very high.

Mar 16, 2022
Not had this issue with the Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite or the MSI MPG B550i Gaming Edge Max WiFi.

I am glad it is being addressed though.

Jun 16, 2022
Yeah!
Finally
I've been suffering this random sluttering for many months and didn't even know how to call for finding solution on internet.
At first I thought It was my R9 5950x
Hopefully this stability may stay forever.

Reactions: Flyfisherman
Glad to hear.
An update to my post above; https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ftpm-stuttering-issues.3753195/#post-22633858

AMD Ryzen Balanced power plan is not required on any Ryzen 5000-series.
Just go with Microsoft Windows Power plan but still make the changes suggested.
Of course that requires the latest Chipset driver to be installed:
https://www.amd.com/en/support

Best regards from Sweden

Ps. You can also turn off Microsoft Windows Game Mode:
When you launch a game, however, Windows 10’s or 11 Game Mode takes effect and prioritizes that game over everything else on your PC. So why wouldn’t Game Mode be enabled by default?

It doesn’t do anything unless Windows thinks you’re running a game.
Some Windows users have reported that some games actually perform more slowly and increased stuttering with Game Mode enabled.
It sounds strange, and it certainly shouldn’t work this way—but it sometimes does.
Microsoft Windows is a poorly judge of which games, in particular games that are more than 2 -3 years old. or games with DX11.

If You have a fairly descent and a modern CPU and a good GPU, just turn Game mode off.
There are absolutely no reason for that feature to be enabled in a modern somewhat hefty or above system.
Start > Settings > Gaming > click on Game mode button => Turn it off

Last edited: