AMD Just Secured a $500 Million Line of Credit

Status
Not open for further replies.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
got to give them a hand for trying. hopefully within the next few years, they will become the primary choice for computer builds. should wake up intel too

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
I can't help but like AMD for being a little engine that could. They've stuck through the tough times and continue to release products at lower price points than it's competitors. They offer great incentives (bundles) and don't really back down from a fight (Intel, Nvidia) even though they're smaller. They have a lot of fight in them so gotta give props. I hope the next gen consoles give them the boost they need. I'd love to see them make more money to invest in product development. I'd like to see them compete better against Intel. They already do a nice job competing against Nvidia.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
I'm conflicted, one one hand Intel, while not being an inherently flawed company, hasn't been making any great strides in processor performance recently, on the other hand they haven't really needed to, the bottlenecks lie elsewhere. I do admire the increases in overall efficiency and power consumption, but the jump from Ivy to Haswell was just piss-poor.

I do wish AMD were competitive again, but I have no reason to dislike Intel other than the recent stagnation which, in the long run, really isn't a huge deal.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
You don't have to dislike Intel, to like AMD or want AMD to be more competitive. Intel fans should be praying that AMD figures out how to compete again. Intel puts out their best products when they have competition.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
haswell was designed for mobile solutions mostly... they shine in the battery department. anyone with ivybridge or sandybridge is good for at least another generation, maybe even more

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I agree with deftonian that AMD is one heck of a great story of a smaller company toughing it out and pushing through great, competitive products. My only worry is that sometimes having too much money leads to bad decision making. When you are a smaller company a lot of money and a bad decision can ruin you quickly. A half-billion is a decently large credit-line. Just use it wisely and don't think you're superman all of a sudden, AMD. Too many of us are hoping you stay level-headed.

AMD needs every edge it can get. I give it major props for being able to do what it manages to do, with the resources it has. They really are the underdogs of this fight. I hope that this pans out well for them.

maybe these are the reasons they need to take out a loan. they could charge what they like for the 290 and 290x, they chose to take a profit hit for market share. that will only pay off if these products don't fail, and with the amount of heat they generate, i hope it doesn't end up leaving a taste of poor quality in consumers mouths. AMD have put out some good products, but i still question quality when they are constantly undercutting competitors prices.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
If you are selling enough quantity to gain market share; then you are not taking a profit hit. I question why the other companies are selling their products at such high prices when AMD is able to make a good product and sell it at such competitive prices. I have been all AMD for years now. It would be expensive for me to change everything over to Intel and Nvidia at this point. Facte in that my PC does everything I need it to do very well and I don't need to change brands. I would like to see AMD correct some things like the high temperature at which their processors and video cards operate. But for me these are minor issues since I am not a hard core gamer.

nuvon

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
hope people of higher rank in the company would not take a big chunk out of it as salary, bonus, business trip (exotic vacation)...etc.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
I hate to say this but they are kind lousy in Mobile laptop segment. Check all the whole Laptop catalogue. it is all Intel Intel Intel, it is very rare u see AMD APU on popular laptop maker. how about I want a convertible ultrabook like DELL XPS 12 that isn't Intel CPU and not AMD jaguar CPU, but a real mobile CPU? Lenovo? Asus? Sony? even mac are also Intel. There is noway they can succeed in mobile PC if they are not getting these OEM to release AMD counterparts for every diff laptop model. I cant buy a AMD mobile laptop if there isnt a decent one from a decent OEM maker.

superfreestyleer

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
@drosencraft I know that in context it makes sense, but in any other scenario saying "A half-billion is a decently large credit-line." woud be a terrific understatement

Its good to admire them but you also have to look at it realistically. AMD only releases at price points they can compete at. That's what every company does.

I am sure if the R9-290X was a beast, and by that I mean like what the HD7970 did to the GTX580, then it wouldn't have been priced as moderately.

axehand13

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Good with a $500 million dollar loan, they finally can release a AM3+ Steamroller CPU. I been hold off with a 1100t at 4Ghz for a real replacement. I always have gone AMD both for CPU and GPU for years now. I am glad to see them making some progress now.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
@tomfreak
My laptop has an A8 APU in it. For my 600 dollars, it's worked great for me. Played LOL, and XCom perfectly. Sure, the battery lasts 2 hours, and....well it doesn't last at all anymore after about 8 months of having it, but come on.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
I hope they don't end up like Telecom Italia, ie. a company with massive
debts which never makes any money, but cannot die because investors
hang on to the hope things will one day turn around, terrified at the
prospect of a collapse that'd default the debts.

I doubt it's enough to bring out a new competitive desktop CPU.

Ian.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Alas APUs don't interest me at all. I just want to see something
that forces Intel to make a genuinely faster desktop chip, because
they've been treading water now for 2 years due to the lack of
competition.

Ian.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Good to know AMD is still considered a Worthwhile investment. Hopefully this will help them push out a product superior to the tiegra that's cheaper than a snapdragon. Even though I wanna see a steamroller chip so I can build a new rig.

16bit

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
I really hope AMD doesn't go under anytime soon. They are doing some great things, and hopefully will continue to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.