AMD Kaveri: Next-Gen APUs A10-7850K and A10-7700K

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012
With this someone could probably build a $300 steambox with 8GB ram. Sure it wouldn't be as strong as an Xbox One, but it would be mostly as strong, and cost almost half as much. Can't wait to see if they can make even bigger gains + DDR4 in the next iteration...

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
How is 300 dollars half as much as the xbone?

Relating to the article, its great that amd finally got a few of these things out. I hope they run well, and don't destroy themselves under heavy load like the previous apu units.

grndzro

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
HSA helps eliminate the bandwidth bottleneck. Slap on some DDR3 2400 and a serious heatsink and OC it with a 100$ 7850 from ebay.

David Dewis

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013

Intergrated RAM would be great! Not sure if thats what you meant. Would need an update to architecture but would make building simpler for first time builders. Would always want to keep Storage separate though.

kind of, but generally you can get a motherboard + equivalent cpu + gpu for the same price.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
you can see clearly where amd has shifted its focus in recent years from raw cpu horsepower to apu's and it just shows you that despite people saying that amd is no longer a cpu performance competitor when it comes to raw cpu power, they are however a heavy competitor in the apu market and that's where the market is now and intel is finally realizing that, because cpu performance alone isn't what it used to be. Now the market has shifted to a all in one type of market where you have good performance from a cpu and gpu at the same time keeping power consumption at a reasonable level.

David Dewis

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013

True, but maybe simpler for first time builders. Also seeing as FM2 is only option on AMD size for ITX, this would be good if no room for a gpu

grndzro

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
HSA helps eliminate the bandwidth bottleneck. Slap on some DDR3 2400 and a serious heatsink and OC it with a 100$ 7850 from ebay.

Kewlx25

Distinguished

It helps latency a lot more than bandwidth, slightly better bandwidth, but also higher efficiency, meaning less bandwidth required.

jacobian

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
As expected, AMD is mostly showing benchmarks that leverage the GPU cores. I am going to believe the hype once we see benchmarks employing real world apps.

I really like APU's concept. Of course I would prefer a nice CPU with an add-on graphics cards, but an APU is a lot cheaper and still a viable solution.
I own an A10-6800k with no discrete graphics, and when I have more money I'm going to get an add-on graphics card.
My only complaint is that the "CPU" part of the APU is a bit lacking, the best one so far was similar to a FX-4300, and that doesn't leave much room for upgrading the graphics subsystem without bottleneck problems..
I would love to see an APU that paired average graphics (like the ones presented here) with a better cpu, like the FX-6300...

On a side note:"based on specifications alone, is probably faster than the Trinity-based A10-6800K." The A10-6800k is actually Richland based, not Trinity.

This is gonna be good! Can not wait to see the Steamroller potential and also what GCN can do in APU format.
GCN was made with APUs in mind, so my hopes are high for a low cost, low power, portable gaming system!

jacobian

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
I am curious though if Intel is going to see this as a threat, and if they do, how long is it going to take them to respond. If AMD's APU sales take off, my guess is: not very long. Every Intel Core CPU on the market is effectively an APU. While Intel is still behind AMD in iGPU technology, it proved with Haswell iGPUs that they have a good in-house potential for developing competent integrated graphics.

Massive gain the previous gen, but Iris can not go much further, there will have to be a fundamental change in their iGPU to compete for PERFORMANCE in this space.

Right now the APU pricing is a little to high compared to a 6300+GPU setup, and that is why the APU based systems are not doing as well as you would expect.

Dec 18, 2013
I'm hopping this 7850K in CLOCK PER CLOCK battle at least comes close to 4670K's IPC speed, if this chip still turn out to be way behind 4670K's clock per clock speed` I'll be extremely disappointed and certainly won't purchase it and instead will wait for Haswell-E! but still... I keep my hops high for this to be at least somewhere close to 4670K's single threaded performance.

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Soo...Comparing their apu to an i5 in a graphics bench huh...
I'm gona go compare an F-150 with a BRZ then do towing tests...
or I could just compare the apu and an i5 converting raw photos.

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Soo...Comparing their apu to an i5 in a graphics bench huh...
I'm gona go compare an F-150 with a BRZ then do towing tests...
or I could just compare the apu and an i5 converting raw photos.

Don't get me wrong I still think this is cool, and it is something I would definitely consider buying for an htpc

Status
Not open for further replies.