AMD Laughing at HD 5870 benchmarks....

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

romulous75

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
I would really like to see AMD help the Folding@Home group get a fah client going that fully utilises the 4870 / 5870 GPUs, then I would most certainly buy one. As for the cpu bottle neck, is does not look like that will be a problem for too much longer, what with 12 core experimental cpus @ AMD pulling some impressive numbers.

darkvine

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009

Yeah pretty much, but I was simply pointing out other reasons you might want it.

Same thing with the i7. People go off for hours about games not using it to the max and how a core 2 quad or a AMD x4 is just as good, forgetting that some people do other things then simply game.

Gintok

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
This interests me it really does not the rig contest but the AMD vs Intel + ATI vs nVidia discussion. I'm probably one of the few people who is not loyal to a brand. I've had both a quad from AMD and Intel and both were very good for different reasons (price, performance etc) same goes for cards.

Quite simply put I like the idea of the manufacturers battling it out, what I don't like is a complete and utter domination. My view is that with competition, technology gets better, and it gets better and efficient much faster than without competition. Prices also decline, it's an evolution. Without competition, or if 1 side got annihilated and was unable to recover, we would have less choice, a manufacturer would most likely raise their price as there is no competitor and they would be able to rest on the laurels.

That's my 2 cents, keep in mind I'm new so please don't shoot me :p

Very true, and I think you'll find most of us agree with you. I always try to tell people to base their choice of manufacterer on what the manufacterer sells at the price they are looking for, not who sells the fastest top of the line. Looking at it that way, all four (ATI, NVIdia, Intel, AMD) have a strong segment or segments.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006

I would say for practical medical uses, precision is far more important than speed. Accurate results can give scientists a more accurate model to work with, knowing that the results are very precise rather than more results which may not be as accurate.

And in ignoring the speed, only because itll involve more work, not less accuracy, and since its already accurate enough, they dont care about the speed ignores the very spirit if F@H for most people that run it, thus a few of the comments here already.
If the scores are low, then it doesnt motivate people to use/do it, and thats my point, and their failure

Well that is the point of F@H, accurate science, not people who are interested in another form of 3Dmark with Floptimizations and all. If the science we spoiled just so people could post higher PPD scores wouldn't that really undercut the whole idea of F@H more, in which case it could be replaced by a 3Dmark/day score?

Stanford should update the F@H client to allow ATi to make use of Local Data Share so the HD4K don't have to do the force calculations twice, however I think they're focusing on an OpenCL client according to MrHouston IIRC. However it might be a while until that launches, and as long as the reviewers know that if they decide to use F@H as a benchmark, then it won't matter too much for perception, but people will still wish they could even just do more to help rather than calculating some things twice for next to no reason.

It's a sticky situation, where do you put your resources, in updating the old client or making the new one better?

randomizer

Champion

When I started to reply, your post hadn't shown up. Notice there's only 34 seconds between them ;)

Yea, Stanford only builds the core.

Well, Mikes right, its just that the points sytem is the payoff, and while that suffers, so do contributions, and Ive seen several people say theyre buying nVidia because of this, so, yes, ATI has to step it up

Well contributions don't suffer if people buy nV, contributions might rise if there's the standard 20-60% advantage, but potential is lost, and that's where the old HD2K/3K design hampered GPU2 on the HD4Ks which finally had the fix LDS.

I personally just want them to make an OPenCL client, and care less about making a fix to the HD4K, but then again I only run it on HD2K & HD3K (and some nV GF8) rigs anyways, and will be moving to mobile HD5K, so maybe that's my bias toweards the desire for an OpenCL client. ;)

kamar6

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
Help a noob. I'm building on a budget. Got a used ECS 6100pm board for $25. Put in a 7750 Kuma for $60. Added a 750MB WD Caviar Black for $67. My bro gave me a 600watt PS. Now I just need a GPU. I'm sure the 5870 and 5850 would be overkill for my system. What would be the best GPU that would not be overkill? 4870? GTX260? 4850? gtx250, 4670 etc....

romulous75

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

That would depend on your budget and the intended use of the card. I take it you are building a gaming rig ?

For my TV box I just purchased a 9800GT. It requires no additional power but is almost as fast as an 8800GT (which does). Now that would happily run games @ 1280x1024 and perhaps 1680x1050 with no AA and medium settings.

If you have one of the latest CPUs it would run well. I know that E8400 or better run games nicely because of the 3Ghz frequency and decent cache. You may also get away with running a pentium dual core for much less. I've not heard of a ECS 6100pm board so I'm not sure if that's AMD or Intel. But for gaming I dont think it metters much.

kamar6

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009

romulous75

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

kimixii

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Lol, after reading this thread, i love my atom/gma950 combo on my aspire one =] lol, no but really, its great to see amd/ati back in the fray. A year or 2 ago when I got back into the thick of things, it seemed like nVidia was going to dominate and Ati was gonna always play catch up. Doesnt seem like that any more. Ive always been an Ati fan, although ive had a 7800GT from nVidia and loved it too. Competition is good, like Gintok said earlier, and its ok to have a bit of competition. My buddy has an AMD Phenom II X4 cpu, 2.8 ghz i believe, and although its prolly not as fast as its Intel counterpart, you cant beat the price to performance. He gets rediculous FPS in WoW and CS:S, which is all he plays. Not everyone hangs on Crysis or 3DMark all day. Lol.

vjcsmoke

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009

solidsteel

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009

That's unbelievable, I'm 15 and I'm building my first gaming PC this Christmas with the same processor only the 965 BE, and an OVERCLOCKED XFX 5870!! I'll be playing at 1080p so that promises even better results, I cant wait man!!!