BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
At an event not in Tunisia, AMD was joined by BroadCom and nVidia to announce the shipping of the new 65nm Turion X2. The chips are said to go up to 2.4GHz initially, with higher speeds and lower voltage chips possible later.
Linkage!

Excerpt:
AMD’s award-winning 65nm Silicon-on-Insulator technology provides increased transistor performance, scalability and power efficiency. AMD Turion 64 X2 dual-core mobile technology based on the 65nm process, now shipping, represents an important milestone as AMD continues its rapid conversion of Fab36.

Notebook PCs based on the new AMD Turion 64 X2 dual-core mobile technology will be available later this quarter in designs from leading computer manufacturers.

AMD Mobile Platforms: Better by Design

AMD’s leading-edge Better by Design ecosystem includes ATI Radeon and NVIDIA GeForce Go graphics and wireless solutions from Atheros, Broadcom, Marvell Qualcomm and RealTek.

Uh, oh Baron, you committed one of the four cardinal sins of The Forumz:

1. Thou shalt not use the Inquirer as a solid source of information.
2. Thou shalt not mention 9-inch, MadModMike, or any of their alter egos.
3. Thou shalt not diss Jack.
4. THOU SHALT NOT LINK TO AMDZONE.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Uh, oh Baron, you committed one of the four cardinal sins of The Forumz:

1. Thou shalt not use the Inquirer as a solid source of information.
2. Thou shalt not mention 9-inch, MadModMike, or any of their alter egos.
3. Thou shalt not diss Jack.
4. THOU SHALT NOT LINK TO AMDZONE.

It was a press release, not an article. It ACTUALLY happened in SanFran.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
You know, we should sticky a list of Commandments.
#7. thou shalt not reply to any berroneous matrix flame bait nor indulge him in undue exaltation of AMD.

#8 Thou shalt not profess superiority when your proclivity towards broken grammar and slang spellings reaches so deep.

#9 Thou shalt not sit in your office unfairly criticizing AMD.

#10 Thou shalt not pretend to know the future.

#11 Thou shalt remember I said AMD would raise plenty of cash as no one wants to lose them.

#12 Thou shalt not screw with a conceited developer lest thou wish to perish in your own flames.

Around the survivors a perimeter has been created.
DEWD! :twisted:

13. Thou shall keep a spirit of good humor and have ye a thick skin.

Yes, I know that this was a press release that Chris Tom posted directly from AMD. It's 100% legit. AMDzone is certainly a fan site and that alone generally gets raspberries from most people here, but it doesn't mean that any or all things there might be made-up or otherwise false. Most of their information is simply gleaned from other sites, so AMDzone has nothing to do with influencing the information that they post.

I put that as Commandment #4 not because they might or might not be of dubious reliability but because anything taken from there will get a severe response from people on the Intel side of the fence here. If I were you, the direct link from AMD would have been my choice as to what to post. No sense in starting another cross-forum flame war like happened before with Scientia getting trashed here and then Jack getting trashed over at AMDzone.

And about the actual item you posted, it's about time for AMD to introduce 65 nm Turion 64s. Hopefully they can release some MT versions with 25-watt or less TDPs to increase battery life. The current crop of 31 to 35-watt Turion 64 X2s, Core Duos, and Core 2 Duos put off a lot of heat for smaller notebooks. There are the 13.1-15 W Core Duo LVs and 10-watt Core Duo ULVs out there, but they are IMHO unnecessarily rare as they only really start showing up in 12.1" notebooks, and then becoming common in the sub-notebook arena.

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Gotta love Yoda... although I do believe he spoke in the present tense.

65nm is good for notebooks... cooler, less power. Does it have the higher cache latency that plagued Brisbanes (not that it matters as much with notebooks)?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
13. Thou shall keep a spirit of good humor and have ye a thick skin.

Yes, I know that this was a press release that Chris Tom posted directly from AMD. It's 100% legit. AMDzone is certainly a fan site and that alone generally gets raspberries from most people here, but it doesn't mean that any or all things there might be made-up or otherwise false. Most of their information is simply gleaned from other sites, so AMDzone has nothing to do with influencing the information that they post.

I put that as Commandment #4 not because they might or might not be of dubious reliability but because anything taken from there will get a severe response from people on the Intel side of the fence here. If I were you, the direct link from AMD would have been my choice as to what to post. No sense in starting another cross-forum flame war like happened before with Scientia getting trashed here and then Jack getting trashed over at AMDzone.

And about the actual item you posted, it's about time for AMD to introduce 65 nm Turion 64s. Hopefully they can release some MT versions with 25-watt or less TDPs to increase battery life. The current crop of 31 to 35-watt Turion 64 X2s, Core Duos, and Core 2 Duos put off a lot of heat for smaller notebooks. There are the 13.1-15 W Core Duo LVs and 10-watt Core Duo ULVs out there, but they are IMHO unnecessarily rare as they only really start showing up in 12.1" notebooks, and then becoming common in the sub-notebook arena.

I believe they will drop lower power parts later on. But realistically a 1.2GHz chip will not power most laptops. As you sid only the sub-notebook will get those. The current Turions are at 31-35W at 90nm so if you lok at the WIndsor to Brisbane, Brisbane is about 27% better (65W/89W) so the 2.1Hz model shold clip the 20W range and the 2.4GHz will replace the 2.0GHz model at 35W.

I'musing a 1.6GHz Turion to write this and it's pleny fast. I can imagine what an 800MHz increase will do.

BTW, if someone wants to make ANY CPU POST about a forum rather than aCPU, there is nothing I can do. I don't believe in walking on egg shells, I'd RATHER fight about it.

Well, not really but don't try to find out.

Anyway, this is a good sign as Ed StrollinHo from Overclockers was just complaining about them not being around.

I just wish they were in a positon to release the mobile K10 now and get rid of 90nm Turions.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
#15 thoushalt not exalt charlie demarjin as lord and savior nor AMDzone.
#16 A person having exalted the ramblings of sharikabudooba will be destined for spiritual death.
so sayeth the tech gods.
#17 thou shalt not offend the jumping jacks true and factual observations as he is your master ,lest ye be turned into a pillar of salt with lots wife.
#18 thou shalt not claim thine grammar to best anothers when indeed the content of your own words weighs little more than the air on a windless day.
And when thou dost protest another observations for times and a half times to come ,be still and see with thine own eyes its truth or farce and let time discover these things ,not the hatred of your words ;lest ye be made a fool again and again amongst your peers.
#19 thou shalt not ever threaten the dewd, lest ye be smitten by thine own stupidity.
#20.Thou shalt remember my rants for AMD over the last year were more correct than 99% of anything you said in the same time.

I know you are but what am I?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I believe they will drop lower power parts later on. But realistically a 1.2GHz chip will not power most laptops. As you sid only the sub-notebook will get those. The current Turions are at 31-35W at 90nm so if you lok at the WIndsor to Brisbane, Brisbane is about 27% better (65W/89W) so the 2.1Hz model shold clip the 20W range and the 2.4GHz will replace the 2.0GHz model at 35W.

I'musing a 1.6GHz Turion to write this and it's pleny fast. I can imagine what an 800MHz increase will do.

BTW, if someone wants to make ANY CPU POST about a forum rather than aCPU, there is nothing I can do. I don't believe in walking on egg shells, I'd RATHER fight about it.

Anyway, this is a good sign as Ed StrollinHo from Overclockers was just complaining about them not being around.

I just wish they were in a positon to release the mobile K10 now and get rid of 90nm Turions.

grammar aside :lol: :lol: :lol: I agree the turion 65nm part is a great addition. Honestly though what are your impressions about the latency addition? will it not affect turion? And why.?

I doubt that they have plans to add cache so they shouldn't need that latency adjustment like with Brisbane.

I hate typing on a laptop KB. Those are obviously typos.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Gotta love Yoda... although I do believe he spoke in the present tense.

65nm is good for notebooks... cooler, less power. Does it have the higher cache latency that plagued Brisbanes (not that it matters as much with notebooks)?

Yes, but The Attack of the Clones happened years ago.

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I doubt that they have plans to add cache so they shouldn't need that latency adjustment like with Brisbane.
What do you mean "add cache"? Last time I checked, the Brisbanes had as much cache as their Windsor counterparts.

melarcky

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
i feel like we are in sunday school learning the old Testament hahaha

That's the power of 65nm Turion X2.
:oops:
and on the 7th day the lord took a break and played WoW and ever sense that day he has forgotten about us, because he is sucked into the World of War craft

I believe they will drop lower power parts later on. But realistically a 1.2GHz chip will not power most laptops.

It depends on the use of the laptop. It will be insufficient for people who use a laptop as a desktop (should have gotten a desktop instead IMNSHO, but...) Those who use a laptop solely as a laptop don't need much processor power but need a long battery life, a reasonable size, weight, and cost. How much power do you need to use a word processor, Web browser, e-mail client, music player, or a spreadsheet? My laptop's ancient Mobile P4-M does just fine while hard-throttled at 1.2 GHz. I'm sure a modern 1.2 GHz chip is significantly faster than the old P4-M.

As you said only the sub-notebook will get those.

Unfortunately, yes. What I don't understand is why the low-voltage chips don't see wider usage. Intel has the 13.1-15 W Core Duo LV series that runs on up to about 1.86 GHz, which is much faster than the 1.07-1.20 GHz ULV versions. I have seen only one notebook that even uses the LV chips- the Lenovo ThinkPad X60s. All of the rest of the "thin and light" computers use the regular 31-35 W chips. This makes their battery life no better than my big old laptop and run just as hot or hotter, too.

The current Turions are at 31-35W at 90nm so if you lok at the Windsor to Brisbane, Brisbane is about 27% better (65W/89W) so the 2.1Hz model shold clip the 20W range and the 2.4GHz will replace the 2.0GHz model at 35W.

The increase in clock speeds while holding TDPs steady is good, but I hope that AMD doesn't just raise the entire line's clock speeds to keep the same TDP values. I'd buy a Turion 64 X2 1.6 GHz unit with a TDP in the low 20s over a 2.0 GHz one with a 30 W TDP in a heartbeat.

I'm using a 1.6GHz Turion to write this and it's plenty fast. I can imagine what an 800MHz increase will do.

It will make it approximately 50% faster. But even as you say, a 1.6 GHz Turion is plenty powerful. Which is why I'd like to see them keep some lower-clockspeed chips with a low TDP for those of us that like smaller notebooks that don't roast our thighs and have a good battery life.

BTW, if someone wants to make ANY CPU POST about a forum rather than a CPU, there is nothing I can do. I don't believe in walking on egg shells, I'd RATHER fight about it.

I generally like to keep it technical and that generally only happens when the partisans are quiet. Anything to keep them quiet is good, even if it means letting some stuff slide. Ideally, the mods would pounce on junk and kill the flames before they hit the dynamite shack, but there are literally thousands of posts for them to wade through.

I don't try to start fights. I will very occasionally call out the most egregious errors of an extremely hard-core fanboy, but mostly just to get the whole truth out there for the benefit of some members who might not know what's really going on.

A lot of us are wondering where they were. It's been what, 6 months since the first 65 nm desktop parts shipped? I know that AMD has a limited 65 nm fab capacity and plenty of 90, but laptop parts pretty much ONLY benefit from process shrinks as the TDPs are pretty well capped. Maybe they found that they'd do better financially in doing Brisbanes over 65 nm Turions- I don't know. Call up Dr. Ruiz if you want a reason :D

The 90 nm Turions will be gotten rid of once the 65 nm ones ship. But I'd expect the K10 to go to the laptops last. Laptops are very sensitive to power draw and not as sensitive to performance while desktops don't care about power draw but performance is a must. The K10 is also a more complicated chip with more transistors than the K8 duals are, so at equivalent clocks and power states, they will draw more power. Sure, there are neat power-saving features in the K10 that will do well on notebooks (2 power planes, independently-clocked cores and IMC) but these will certainly require a chipset refresh as well. Notebook chipsets generally lag behind desktop chipsets as well, and probably for the same thermal and packaging issues that slow the CPU transition too.

I am eagerly awaiting the next round of notebooks to ship as mine's on its last legs. I'm in the market for a smaller one- ~12"- so the low TDPs are foremost on my mind. The rest of 2007 should be interesting from both manufacturers, as well as putting current models on enough of a sale for me to buy at a deep discount.

I thought that dissing was simply groundless insults. Telling you to go back to bed with Paul Otellini would be dissing, saying that there's no way that Intel will ship 45 nm parts this year and you're wrong would be something else. Not that you sleep with Mr. Otellini or Intel will or won't ship parts in any certain time frame...just an example :D

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
I thought that dissing was simply groundless insults. Telling you to go back to bed with Paul Otellini would be dissing, saying that there's no way that Intel will ship 45 nm parts this year and you're wrong would be something else. Not that you sleep with Mr. Otellini or Intel will or won't ship parts in any certain time frame...just an example :D

Eh... I don't mind mindless dissing now and again, it is kinda juvenile and fun... sorta reliving some of my youth ;) .... I do take a little offense when it gets vulgar, but I abhor reference to pedophilia --- Baron's staple insult.

Well, at least he's not referencing styrofoam anymore

baligavinod

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
AMDzone is certainly a fan site and that alone generally gets raspberries from most people here, but it doesn't mean that any or all things there might be made-up or otherwise false.

dont think there are many ppl left at amd zone to brag abt paper launches :D

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
There appears to be a handful of posters over there that post maybe 50 posts in a day. It's not dead but Tom's is a *ton* bigger.

Yeh, but remember, according to some of the guys over at AMDZone and several other forums, THG forumz are the laughing stock of the internet because THG is so Intel biased

baligavinod

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
not just ton bigger...ton smarter as well...i love this place :D

and i dont see any bias as THG towards any product or any hardware manufacturer...

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Eh... I don't mind mindless dissing now and again, it is kinda juvenile and fun... sorta reliving some of my youth ;) .... I do take a little offense when it gets vulgar, but I abhor reference to pedophilia --- Baron's staple insult.

Well, at least he's not referencing styrofoam anymore

:) :) He had the thread locked so it wouldn't bump.... I am thinking about adding it to my signature line ....
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=195472&highlight=store

ROFLMAO :lol: :lol: :lol:

DScott79

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2002
#6 The invisible sin, destined to be left out by the forum elite. The invisible sin states that all other sins shall be null and void in the absence of the sixth sin. Violation of the sixth sin may result in the termination of the parent forum, leaving all known fanboys wanting.