AMD Launches ATI FirePro V8800; Cheap at $1499

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
If only Adobe wouldn`t have been such an asses to have support in their CS5 suite only for nvidia :( now i`m wishing for their Flash to fail over HTML5 ... and this comming from a nvidia user.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]If only Adobe wouldn`t have been such an asses to have support in their CS5 suite only for nvidia now i`m wishing for their Flash to fail over HTML5 ... and this comming from a nvidia user.[/citation]There is a registry entry you can use to allow the use of all kinds of GPU's. If you go to the plugins section of their site and go to extra, or additional (something like that) plugins.. it's there. It'll allow it to work.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]There is a registry entry you can use to allow the use of all kinds of GPU's. If you go to the plugins section of their site and go to extra, or additional (something like that) plugins.. it's there. It'll allow it to work.[/citation]
care to post a link ?:)

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
IS CS5 out somewhere? wtf over.

Anyway, I have no use for tesla or firepro, but as is often mentioned here; the competition (between ati and nvidia) will only help everyone on either side of the fence.

G

"How does it perform against Tesla?"

This should be compared to Quadro, not Tesla. AFAIK AMD doesn't have anything out there that competes with Tesla.

babybeluga

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]qwerty45[/nom]but...can it play crisis?[/citation]

It can play "render an MRI of your brain from a massive blunt force trauma".

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]qwerty45[/nom]but...can it play crisis?[/citation]
I know this was in humor, but it makes me wonder: If money were no object would this card offer any performance benefits over, say, a 5970? Or is the card design just not able to cope well with games?

dj1001

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]I know this was in humor, but it makes me wonder: If money were no object would this card offer any performance benefits over, say, a 5970? Or is the card design just not able to cope well with games?[/citation]

I don't think it runs direct x or shader models not to sure but something must not fit. either that or it just doesn't perform well enough in games to be worth the price.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]care to post a link ?[/citation]I found out about this because I have CS4 and an NVIDIA GTX260 but I am running it on Windows XP x64. Adobe doesn't officially support XP x64 Edition and of course it doesn't recognize my GPU as being supported. Of course it is! Anyway, I actually found out about this on YouTube by some flamer wanting to take the credit for finding this out when in actuality he grabbed it straight from Adobe and just showed everyone how to modify the registry to allow (pretty much all gpu's) to work with CS4. Even Intel's integrated video works. Cheers.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I don't know about this card, but TOMS did do an article about workstation cards vs gaming cards. Obviously they were both at their best in their environment, but no workstation cards are not > gaming cards for gaming. Even if they do cost 3x more. It's simply not what their made for.

G

Most workstation grade cards are physically the same as consumer grade cards. The firmware and drivers are usually different to allow for better performance in workstation applications. The increased cost comes from increased support in terms of drivers and help.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
No. For two reasons -

A) The Economy Sucks
B) My director doesn't believe that Autocad gets a substantial boost from workstation cards.

vider

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
[citation][nom]babybeluga[/nom]It can play "render an MRI of your brain from a massive blunt force trauma".[/citation]
Isn't that what most stations in Hospitals in general use when they need to show an "MRI Scan" result?
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/dcb/medical_imaging/xenia/

[citation][nom]3unknown3[/nom]Most workstation grade cards are physically the same as consumer grade cards. The firmware and drivers are usually different to allow for better performance in workstation applications. The increased cost comes from increased support in terms of drivers and help.[/citation]

Support and good drivers is the answer to those prices.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
In CAD related tasks, a workstation card can get 300% or more performance over its desktop equivalent. As far as Firepro Vs Quadro it depends on the app. Typically FirePro is better in DirectX based applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.