News AMD Launches EPYC ‘Turin’ 9005 Series: Our benchmarks of fifth-gen Zen 5 chips with up to 192 cores, 500W TDP

Mar 19, 2024
Authors should mark which tests are single-thread and which are multi-thread ones.

Otherwise you always guess why 64-core Turin 9575F 5GHz wins among all other contenders - is it because the test was single threaded where higher clocked processor will dominate or all other Turin 128/192 multi-core processors were just the epic fail losing to 64core in majority of tests.

Also a lot of tests show 192 core option but missing data. Did these tests fail for this processor, your motherboard did not support it, or this is just the defect of plotting?

And it would help if authors also described what each specific part of the whole system each test is exposing the most

Last edited:

dalek1234

Honorable
Sep 27, 2019
Authors should mark which tests are single-thread and which are multi-thread ones.

Otherwise you always guess why 64-core Turin 9575F 5GHz wins among all other contenders - is it because the test was single threaded where higher clocked processor will dominate or all other Turin 128/192 multi-core processors were just the epic fail losing to 64core in majority of tests.

Also a lot of tests show 192 core option but missing data. Did these tests fail for this processor, your motherboard did not support it, or this is just the defect of plotting?

And it would help if authors also described what each specific part of the whole system each test is exposing the most
I'm with you on that one. Sloppy reporting, maybe somebody was in a hurry.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
I'm with you on that one. Sloppy reporting, maybe somebody was in a hurry.
Based on comments the editors made on previous articles, I think that it's a lot of work for them to put together such a review, compared to the amount of views it gets. It barely spent any time on the front page. FWIW, this site's audience seems to skew more towards gamers.

This CPU has been put through more tests on Phoronix, but he's also somewhat remiss at indicating which tests don't tend to scale so well with core count. I think he doesn't even bother running any lightly-threaded stuff on a CPU like this.

I'm sure ServeTheHome also covered it, FWIW.