xpeh

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
[citation][nom]bak0n[/nom]Where's the A10 in the list? Pfft.[/citation]

I'm still waiting for AMD to release them new APUs

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]yobobjm[/nom]This is nice, too bad I ALWAYS buy my stuff right before it gets discounted.[/citation]

I never check on prices after I buy something. It's bound to be unpleasant :)

antegravity

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
Pretty much no one but hardcore AMD fanboys or Intel haters are going to buy Bulldozer shit when Intel is rocking the house with Sandy/Ivy Bridge.

Sorry AMD, hope you get your shit together and give Intel some proper competition next generation. We will probably need it.

G

No real point in buying a 8150 other than the possibility that the binning may be a bit better. Just buy the 8120 and OC it up to where the 50 is. I can pull at least 3.9 Ghz stable on mine with stock voltage.

The picture at the top of the article also doesn't mention that the price of Deneb Phenom IIs dropped, as well. You can pick up a 955 BE for $81 and a a 965 for $91. Now THOSE are some great deals. :)

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]antegravity[/nom]Pretty much no one but hardcore AMD fanboys or Intel haters are going to buy Bulldozer *** when Intel is rocking the house with Sandy/Ivy Bridge. Sorry AMD, hope you get your *** together and give Intel some proper competition next generation. We will probably need it.[/citation]exactly and on some part of the other region AMD is pricing more expensive than Intel lol.

Perhaps they could grab some budget user from Core 2 user, I wouldnt mind top up $30-50 after selling my core 2 system to upgrade to AMD, but sadly their budget segment are stuck with a low clock dual core Athlon/Llano, which isnt an upgrade from core 2. lol.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]AMD can't even compete with Sandybridge let alone Ivy.[/citation]
They are not trying to. They just want to make money selling things to people who want them, which seems to be working out well.

theabsinthehare

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]What?[/citation]
It comes with one of those all in one type liquid CPU coolers, like the Antec H100.

[citation][nom]antegravity[/nom]Pretty much no one but hardcore AMD fanboys or Intel haters are going to buy Bulldozer shit when Intel is rocking the house with Sandy/Ivy Bridge. Sorry AMD, hope you get your shit together and give Intel some proper competition next generation. We will probably need it.[/citation]

I bought an 8120 despite knowing that an i5 is better. If nobody supports AMD now, how will they have the money to create something possibly awesome next generation? I can support my friends when they're down, even if it means a slight loss for me.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
AMD's prices are good and that is why people are buying their processors. When you can get as much processing power from AMD with less cost than going to Intel, a lot of people will go with AMD. These days processors / GPUs are getting to be plenty powerful for most people without touching the high end segments.

markem

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Heres to hoping PD puts a foot into Intel as its badly needed to bring silly old intel prices back down to earth

[citation][nom]markem[/nom]Heres to hoping PD puts a foot into Intel as its badly needed to bring silly old intel prices back down to earth[/citation]
You wish! REMEMBER AMD is not competing with Intel for the high end, they're moving mainly over towards APU's.

vider

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
[citation][nom]amuffin[/nom]You wish! REMEMBER AMD is not competing with Intel for the high end, they're moving mainly over towards APU's.[/citation]

AMD's APU line up is hurting Intel, matters not if AMD is in the APU area. It is all about the prices, AMD is proving Intel that people can get a cheap bundle and have a piece of that pie called "Gaming".

"Developing" (less hardware to code and optimize for = saved money and time) should prove to be more easy. When you can optimize your source code to a point where (once compiled) you could deliver an "enjoyable experience" over as many budget ranges(as possible), you WIN.

And AMD is doing just this.

Intel HDx000 igpu series can't pull of the same level of eye candy as the AMD Radeon HD 6xx0/7xx0 series can , the same could be said about the mobile platform as well.

And those in favor of Intel, if intel will be the only player in the field, gaming would not be the same as it is today. Gaming will start fading away on the PC platform and console gaming would take it's place. Which would turn to be bad, for every one.

Just my two ¢.

FX-8120 and FX-8150. Disable one core per module, eliminating the sharing of resources and allowing each core to then use all of the resources within a module, a roughly up to 20-30% increase in performance per Hz per core and a roughly 30-40% drop in power consumption. Overclock the CPU frequency and the CPU/NB frequency (this increases the L3 cache frequency, among other things; letting it default at 2.2GHz regardless of the CPU frequency seems to be a bad move from AMD IMO) and they can compete with the LGA 1155 i5s (even the LGA 1155 i5 K editions when they're given a very high overclock) surprisingly well. AMD competes a lot better than the hype says when you know how to use the CPU. Unfortunately, AMD didn't make such things more default nor even the easiest thing to do if you don't already know how to do it, so it's no surprise that most people don't realize this.

AMD doesn't compete perfectly in power efficiency when this is done, but it does sky-rocket compared to stock FX. This same trick works well on the six-core FX CPUs, but since it halves the active core count, it probably wouldn't work well with the quad-core FX models. The i3s and the i5s have nothing against AMD in performance for the money when this is taken into consideration (especially the i3s versus the six-core FX CPUs), granted Intel would still have the efficiency win. It would be even greater if Intel had Ivy Bridge i3s. Now if there was a K edition i3, then this would be different. Heck, giving the i3s Turbo would at least make a difference, but Intel seems intent on not letting them overclock at all except a minor amount through the BLCK, so oh well.

I can't think of a trick to let FX compete with the i7s directly in performance, especially not the LGA 2011 i7s, but still, this is a pretty significant achievement for AMD. Well, it would be if they would recognize this... Heck, their next Phenom-branded line could be the eight and six core CPUs that are designed like this by default while FX is delegated to the six-eight core models without one core per module disabled. It would be a better setup than having to do this manually.

[citation][nom]notsleep[/nom]windows 8 rtm will fix bulldozer and piledriver.[/citation]

Help, not fix. AMD still did quite a lot of work to stifle the fairly incredible Bulldozer architecture by giving such a crap implementation in the design of the die that simply fixing the die design flaws will be enough for AMD to improve performance substantially over several generations. Improving the thread scheduling will only help with the issues. Some things simply don't have software fixes.

Status
Not open for further replies.