AMD Launches HD 7700M, 7800M, and 7900M Mobile GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

joedjnpc

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Where is the naming falsification? There's clearly an "M" there to differentiate the products. The 79** series represents the highest end model, why do AMD need to keep the naming and performance consistant in the move from desktop to laptop? Anyone with half a brain knows you can't get the same performance in a lappy.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]The naming falsification (7870 -> 7970M) continues.[/citation]
As confusing and as much fuss that I can put up over the eternal naming game, I do understand it. The 7970 is supposed to be the top performer (single core GPU card) for the 7000 series for desktops, so keeping the naming scheme, the 7970m is the top performer for the mobile/laptop 7000 series - all with disregard to performance. I understand the reason, but I would just rather it be HD7970 = the 7970m in performance, with the obvious tweaks for power consumption and heat output that a mobile unit must have. Gaming/apps on a laptop would be so much easier with respect to looking up system requirements and knowing that hardware naming is on the same playing field.

noobzilla771

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
OMG I just bought an Alienware m17x R3 last week too :( The R4s with 7970m is out with base price of $1899.
I got a refurb 6990m for $1200 after taxes. Hopefully I got it for that price because it's old GPU. If refurb 7970m shows up for the same price I will shoot myself :(

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
The thing i hate is the rebandage gpus. I mean if you want to talk about truly the falsification that's falsification and i'm surprised their hasn't been a class action lawsuit in regards to rebrandaging the same gpu's by fooling consumors into thinking it's a newer gen gpu when it actually isn't.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]The thing i hate is the rebandage gpus. I mean if you want to talk about truly the falsification that's falsification and i'm surprised their hasn't been a class action lawsuit in regards to rebrandaging the same gpu's by fooling consumors into thinking it's a newer gen gpu when it actually isn't.[/citation]
Anyone in the know feels the same way about the re-badging as you do here. Lucky for consumers, all of these cards mentioned in the article are the new architecture. It may be too early to make a call, but so far Nvidia seems to be taking a solid first-placed lead for re-badging this generation of GPU's - shame on both of them though.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]matt_b[/nom]As confusing and as much fuss that I can put up over the eternal naming game, I do understand it. The 7970 is supposed to be the top performer (single core GPU card) for the 7000 series for desktops, so keeping the naming scheme, the 7970m is the top performer for the mobile/laptop 7000 series - all with disregard to performance. I understand the reason, but I would just rather it be HD7970 = the 7970m in performance, with the obvious tweaks for power consumption and heat output that a mobile unit must have. Gaming/apps on a laptop would be so much easier with respect to looking up system requirements and knowing that hardware naming is on the same playing field.[/citation]
so if there is potential for power improvements, why not apply them for desktops?
the mobile part MUST perform less to consume less power

BTW nice to see AMD focusing more on mobile stuff

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
[citation][nom]amuffin[/nom]Still considered PC gaming...just now i'll be able to play my games in random places...[/citation]
In the trees outside random apartment windows is my favorite spot.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I'm surprised nobody here is talking about the GIGANTIC INCREASE IN PERFORMANCE.

I mean sheesh, that kind of performance increase over last generation? I expected something meagre like 15-25% but no, 40% JESUS!

If I had the dough.. I would buy a laptop with one in it within seconds of reading this article..

G

Does anyone has tested the separate audio stream with HDMI/DP port function on HD7K series?? It's fun. But, why do this?? I have tried to output 3 video stream to 3 monitors and all of them can have their own audio output. Just for fun only. Never do that again......@@

[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]The thing i hate is the rebandage gpus. I mean if you want to talk about truly the falsification that's falsification and i'm surprised their hasn't been a class action lawsuit in regards to rebrandaging the same gpu's by fooling consumors into thinking it's a newer gen gpu when it actually isn't.[/citation]

There are always differences, even if they are minor and/or won't be used by many buyers. For example, the 6770 has support for Blu-Ray features that the 5770 does not. There are other such differences with pretty much all re-badges.

[citation][nom]Albert Shyu[/nom]Does anyone has tested the separate audio stream with HDMI/DP port function on HD7K series?? It's fun. But, why do this?? I have tried to output 3 video stream to 3 monitors and all of them can have their own audio output. Just for fun only. Never do that again......@@[/citation]

It's a very useful feature for video conferencing.

[citation][nom]hellfire24[/nom]mobile gaming sucks!!!PC FTW![/citation]

A PC is a computer running Windows. If a laptop is running Windows, it is a PC. You ment desktop when you said PC. No, the two terms are NOT interchangeable.

[citation][nom]madooo12[/nom]so if there is potential for power improvements, why not apply them for desktops?the mobile part MUST perform less to consume less powerBTW nice to see AMD focusing more on mobile stuff[/citation]

The mobile power improvements are done because they actually can be done there and must be done there (IE, pretty much all mobile computers have an IGP even if it isn't used so they can have switchable graphics and such implemented whereas not all desktops have usable IGPs, so it's not always an option for them). Remember, decreasing clock frequency and voltage exponentially decreases power usage despite it not decreasing performance too much, so lower end parts are always more power efficient than higher end parts. Compare the power efficiency of the Radeon 5770 or 6770 to the 5870 or 6870 and compare the performance differences too.

Then there's also the point that Pitcairn is far more power efficient for gaming than Tahiti because it is less compute focused than Tahiti. These mobile 7900s are based on Pitcairn, so they're more gaming power efficient at the sacrifice of compute power efficiency than they would be if they had been based on Tahiti.

All of these combine to help the mobile power efficiency. Then comes the real power efficiency tweaks to further improve this.

[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Let's see if AMD rebadges the lower end 7000's GPUs...[/citation]

AMD already told us that the low end Radeon 7000 (7600 and below) will be VLIW5 cards. They might not all be re-badges, but at the least, they are based on the older architecture from the Radeon 5000 and most of the Radeon 6000 cards (only the desktop 6930, 6950, 6970, and 6990 were VLIW4 instead of VLIW5. All of the mobile Radeon 6000 cards were VLIW5).

These high end mobile graphics look like they could handle 1080p very well. The 7970m looks like it should perform between a 7850 and 7870. Mobile gaming is going to be getting a pretty good overhaul. Now, what remains to be seen is if we will actually get good games that can push mobile gaming back into it's niche... Just kidding, but it'll probably happen anyway.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]madooo12[/nom]so if there is potential for power improvements, why not apply them for desktops?[/citation]
Same reason smaller tech in general has higher associated costs the more it's scaled down. If you're willing to pay a premium for a scaled-down GPU with less potential horsepower and reduced power consumption, pass the word along to those companies then.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]joedjnpc[/nom]Anyone with half a brain knows you can't get the same performance in a lappy.[/citation]
hmmm...most people i meet seem to have less than half a brain then... :D

alphaalphaalpha

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012

... That's not quite what was asked. Madoo12 asked why the full desktop graphics cards don't have the power usage improvements that the mobile graphics cards have, not why we don't have mobile graphics cards built for desktops. IE why don't the desktop cards have this Enduro technology or something similar. I think that blazor answered that well enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.