News AMD Launches Ryzen 5000 C-Series: First 8-Core x86 CPUs for Chromebooks

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
To compete with low cost, low power Intel Atoms for chromebook use?

Do they know what segment they are in? It is the lowest price segment with low performance demands and high battery life demands.
A 15w expensive chip is the wrong chip for the job. They just have to run a browser OS and have kids keep them on all day.

Why is AMD bringing the bling to chromebooks? Nobody asked for that. A 15w 8c is like putting a V8 in a Chevy Spark and charging $25k for it. But I suppose if AMD has to throw them away at a loss like Intel did with windows tablet Atoms you might be able to score a deal if you could install Windows.

Reactions: jacob249358

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
Chrome is going to be just a browser with the most basic stuff for another few years. The point of them is being cheap for people that just want to watch movies and answer emails or for school. Not sure if google has something big coming with chrome os but it would be fun to see someone compete with windows (Not really counting linux)

May 5, 2022
I guess nobody else in the comments here is using Linux apps on their chromeooks?

Chrome OS is the slickest, most trouble free OS I've ever used. Updates don't interfere with anything I'm doing and don't require multiple reboots (or any reboots). I'd love more powerful hardware as long as the price is right. The few high-end chromebooks seem to offer lower specs than similarly priced Windows machines. I'll pay a small premium to use my favorite OS but if the cost is too high, I'll buy a Windows machine and put Linux on it.

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
I guess nobody else in the comments here is using Linux apps on their chromeooks?

Chrome OS is the slickest, most trouble free OS I've ever used. Updates don't interfere with anything I'm doing and don't require multiple reboots (or any reboots). I'd love more powerful hardware as long as the price is right. The few high-end chromebooks seem to offer lower specs than similarly priced Windows machines. I'll pay a small premium to use my favorite OS but if the cost is too high, I'll buy a Windows machine and put Linux on it.
Chrome OS updates require reboots. And I think the linux apps thing is a very small portion of people. But chrome OS is very smooth and simple, I enjoy it myself.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
I just feel that 6/8 core cpus are way overkill for chrome books. 4 core will do the job nicely...

Btw, ARM will be biggest competitor in the chromebook segment. I am not sure if both intel and amd could compete in time to come...