News AMD Launches Ryzen Embedded 5000: Vermeer for the Embedded World

lmcnabney

Prominent
Aug 5, 2022
I would have loved for AMD to have gotten these out a lot sooner. I guess I am happy with my J5040 media server, but the GPU power is missed.

m3city

Reputable
Sep 17, 2020
I would have loved for AMD to have gotten these out a lot sooner. I guess I am happy with my J5040 media server, but the GPU power is missed.
Exactly. But these AMD embedded are a quite different "beasts". J5040 is basically a top offering from Intel for the time being, given the constrain of very little power (~10-15W). It's good enough if it has to stream multimedia without transcoding on the fly (an option for home media server like jellyfin). It can serve as home cloud (ie Nextcloud), NAS etc. AMD has similar - but more powerfull V2000, V3000 Zen based CPUs but I think these are not available for home users, and are rather for industrial applications. Hard to buy in Europe, unleass you order by tens.

These CPUs are first of all 65W, and lack GPU. Totally different world in my opinion. I have J4005 and it does it job (although sweats when asked for work with all its 15W ;), but I would love to update it to AMD counterpart.