?AMD Launches The New Radeon Pro Duo At $999

Status
Not open for further replies.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012

Ashes of Singularity a game that updated to make Intel Kaby Lake CPU or GEFORCE Benches weaker. If you put ATI/AMD Cards or CPU in it thats another story.

MikeMIke86

Honorable
May 11, 2013
Spoken like a fan boy, NVIDIA has intentionally made several games more difficult for AMD to optimize and you mention one game that's always done better due to AMDs strong async compute ability.
BTW Ryzen is coming for your i7, it's already getting beaten on average (in gaming) with 3600mhz ram and several optimizations.

I'm not a fan boy, I run the cheapest of both sides.. AMD gpu's and Intel i5 cpu's, the 8series processors were a joke but this fresh breath of air is fantastic for competition, kinda nice to see Intel choke after years of mobo pin changes in order to force feed more hardware for a measly 5-10% gain over the previous generation.. so I guess I've began grudging against Intel due to their greed more so than anything.

For all the reasons above I still run a 2500k 4.7gHz and a 3560k 4.5gHz, no reason to upgrade for 5% fps gains or 10% overall gains.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
The full-height single-slot Radeon Pro Duo features two Polaris 10 [strike]cores[/strike] GPUs both operating at 1,243MHz with 2,304 stream processors each. Total compute power is listed at 11.45 TFLOPs. The 32GB of GDDR5 (16GB per [strike]core[/strike] GPU) operates at 7GHz for a total of 448GBps bandwidth.
Please use correct nomenclature. The concept of GPU cores is already confused enough, with the industry using the term to refer to SIMD lanes, rather than what would classically be known as a CPU core.

Out of curiosity, what part is incorrect?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
See where I used strike-through? Those are my corrections. GPU and CPU refer to the physical chips, each of which may have multiple cores.

In fact, the Polaris 10 GPUs each have 36 cores, which AMD refers to as "Compute Units". They're really not much different than CPU cores, though.

I clicked on this mistakenly thinking it was a review. I want to see how this beast does at gaming!

Yes, I know that's not what it's for. But that's hardly my point. I guess driver support on essentially a dual RX 580 would be abysmal.

Immitem

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015
I wonder how it will compare to a w9100. I am just curious to see if it is capable of at least matching the Firepro with a single GPU. What I really want to see is the top-of-the-line Vega 9100, and soon!

genz

Distinguished
Interesting how "Pro" this card looks with a 2 year warranty. Xeons have 5 year. Geforce's have 3 year min across every manufacturer and that's not even Workstation tech. Samsung SSDs come with 5 year and 10 year guaranteed models too.

What do you have to do to get a decent warranty from AMD? Maybe they don't realize that that's a significant issue with their hot running cards.

Gaming cards are always cheaper than similar professional cards. and dual GPU cards are also often more expensive than two similar single GPU cards, so yeah, a pair of RX 580s is gonna be a lot cheaper. Realistically, about $1000 is not even that high a price for this when you look at some past prices.

JakeWearingKhakis

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
A lot of you are missing the point here. It's not a gaming card.

Also, the fact that it lets you assign each GPU to separate applications is amazing. If I was still into 3d modeling, rendering, and programming I'd be all over this thing.

Is this something a pair of radeon pro workstation cards could do in crossfire? Or is it only a feature on the Pro Duo? Like, could you assign the cards to different applications like this can? Just curious.

Brian_R170

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014

Exactly what I was wondering. The photo clearly shows a two-slot card, but maybe the photo is wrong.

ObamasBFF

Prominent
Apr 25, 2017
Why does a $1000 video card only have a 2 year warranty. I get it's not consumer, but a 2-year warranty? Really?

genz

Distinguished

They can at least on OS X, hence the Mac Pros using two GPUs in every configuration.

I get it's not a gaming card. But just the same, I wanted to see how Sandy Bridge's HD 3000 graphics could run Crysis.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

Not sure about now, but pro warranties include if you are on a certified system with certified parts and something goes wrong, you are entitled to dev time and a custom driver to fix the issue.

With a pro card, you aren't paying for power, or even for the best card you can get, you are paying for the guarantee you won't crash, and if something manages to crash, dev time.

Status
Not open for further replies.