News AMD Lists Radeon RX 7950 XTX, Other Unreleased Graphics Cards

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
And that's where AMD had completely messed up with their BS naming scheme having TWO cards called "RX 7900". The way it has always worked in the past is that the level-8 card ALWAYS had a version of the top-tier GPU, if not the full version. Now, the RX 7800 XT will really be just a RX 7700 XT with the wrong name and thus the price will be stupid and the performance will be disappointing for a level-8 card because it'll really be a level-7.
I think what caught AMD off guard is the amount of RX 6000 inventory that was piled up, by the time they went to launch the Navi 31 cards. That forced them to launch above it, and then to scrunch their model numbers accordingly.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
AiB partner 7900 XTX cards are already comfortably in the 3GHz+ zone.

Initial release benches showed Time Spy graphics score for the 7900 XTX at around 26-30K, but (see sig) my Taichi gets over 34K.
The memory Gbps increase will be welcome but if these cores are just overclocked versions of the 7900 XTX the top-end release will be meh. :(
We'll see!

Colif

Win 11 Master
As a result, every single card that AMD releases in the RX 7000-series is going to be a grave disappointment because the uplift is going to be barely worth talking about
This really depends on what you coming from. If you nuts and buy a new GPU every generation, then yes... most of the cards on both sides aren't worth it this generation. But if you coming from 2 generations ago, the uplift can still be good... really depends what you come from and go to. I jumped from a 2070 Super to a 7900 XT and its 225% better.

I didn't care about naming, I didn't care about 4k, so the 7900xt was good enough for me.

This whole generation of AMD and NVIDIA GPUs are way overpriced too much. AMD is not that much unlike Nvidia.

But talking about Nvidia's new gen, if previous ADA releases are anything to go by, it looks they would be selling the 4050/4050Ti SKU (performance wise) card under the upcoming 4060/4060Ti branding for $400+.

I wanted to get one of these for myself, but I have planned on skipping this whole gen of cards. 8GB VRAM just doesn't cut the mustard in modern AAA/AA games, let alone 128-bit mem bus interface (though the card sports a higher L2 cache). I would rather get an RTX 3060 12GB variant instead.

Dream/speculation:

If suppose Nvidia releases the RTX 4060 Ti for $250/300 and the RTX 4060 for $199/250, then these will be the powerhouse GPUs that the market has been craving all throughout the Covid-19 pandemic from the last three years.

At this price, gamers could finally have a chance to upgrade especially those holding on to Polaris RX 470/RX 480/RX 570/RX 580 and Pascal GTX 1060 3GB/GTX 1060 6GB, RTX 20-series, and other older gen cards (including myself). But sadly, NO, we all know this is never gonna happen.

Gaming has actually become an expensive hobby for sure, Amen ! That is if you want to play latest modern AAA games. For older games, any older-gen PC might do the job though.

Newer gen cards are more expensive, but at the same time, the specs have been downgraded on some of the SKUs if not all. The GPUs have also become more power-hungry, and bulky, some of the flagship Nvidia cards even requiring the new 16-pin connector, and a new PSU as well. You can't feel safe using adapters instead though.

Games are also expensive these days given how they are released in a half broken state, and highly unoptimized, and require 50+ GB of patches after the release just to iron out most of the issues plaguing this generation of games. Early gamers are actually beta testers.

If people don't support the devs/publishers by pre-ordering games, then the gaming landscape might slightly change.

Reactions: bit_user

Colif

Win 11 Master
If people don't support the devs/publishers by pre-ordering games, then the gaming landscape might slightly change.
thats funny as realistically the quality of the AA A games this year leaves a sane person to think best idea is not pre order any games and wait for reviews by players who show gameplay on Youtube. Only then do you know if its actually worth buying now or maybe waiting 2 years for them to fix it. If all players did that, maybe they start releasing games that work without 1st day patches.

Reactions: bit_user
thats funny as realistically the quality of the AA A games this year leaves a sane person to think best idea is not pre order any games and wait for reviews by players who show gameplay on Youtube. Only then do you know if its actually worth buying now or maybe waiting 2 years for them to fix it. If all players did that, maybe they start releasing games that work without 1st day patches.

Yeah man, couldn't agree more. The gaming industry has really gone down the drain. These days we can't trust any game dev/publisher who can offer a polished and a finished product at the time of release.

Patches after patches has become a common trend, as it takes several years to fix issues, and some are not even resolved even after patching. Hogwarts Legacy recently got a patch which had fixes for at least 500+ game bugs/glitches, and gameplay mechanics.

Some say that the patch actually had more fixes under the hood, but the devs never disclosed them to the public. Maybe they are worried about the company's rapport.

I think tech outlets and game reviewers should be given a copy to test the game before release, and post their results. But that would be biased if the review gives a 5 star out of 10 rating of the game, BEFORE it is released. Obviously, no one will then buy the game after reading any negative review.

Publishers won't allow for this to happen.

This really depends on what you coming from. If you nuts and buy a new GPU every generation, then yes... most of the cards on both sides aren't worth it this generation. But if you coming from 2 generations ago, the uplift can still be good... really depends what you come from and go to. I jumped from a 2070 Super to a 7900 XT and its 225% better.
Well, yeah, that's true but it can't be denied that AMD still botched it, especially after the brilliantly-executed RDNA2 launch (which got spoiled by the clusterfrack that followed). At the high-end, yes, the RX 7900 XT and XTX are better buys than their GeForce counterparts and I'm sure that compared to GeForce, all of the Radeons will be better buys (which has been the trend for over a decade now). The threat to the mid-grade and low-end RDNA3 cards isn't GeForce, it's RDNA2 and right now, RDNA2 is going to be nigh-impossible for RDNA3 to compete with.

People who buy Radeons do so because they want the best performance for the money and don't care about frills like RT, AV1 and/or nVenc. Therefore, RDNA2 cards still offer more of what a Radeon owner is looking for than RDNA3 cards can at the same price point.
I didn't care about naming, I didn't care about 4k, so the 7900xt was good enough for me.
Sure, you and I don't care about naming because we're both tech experts and experts buy by spec. The thing is, most people aren't tech experts. If they're complete noobs, they buy by brand only and often get badly burned in the performance:cost ratio. People who are somewhat tech-savvy know what level of card that they buy and with the model numbers now somewhat skewed, they could easily make the wrong purchase. They might not even realise it and they may remain completely ignorant of it but I'll know that it happened and it pisses me off when billion-dollar companies needlessly fleece people, especially in this day and age.

It's tactics like that from Intel and nVidia over the years that made me hate them. If AMD makes the people who hated Intel and nVidia's practices start to hate AMD, they're doomed and so is the entire market because Radeon will cease to exist.

Last edited: