News AMD Lists Ryzen 7030-Series Mobile Processors

DerKeyser

Prominent
Oct 15, 2021
Sighh, guess we are getting close to the end of “AMD - the underdog who does things differently”.
AMD has now reached Intel level pricing and the HORRIBLE HORRIBLE mess in product naming and completely useless SKU’s

setx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2014
The naming scheme doesn't look that bad actually. It even has a bit of sense if you know what to look for, unlike random numbers of Intel.

Reactions: prtskg

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Sighh, guess we are getting close to the end of “AMD - the underdog who does things differently”.
AMD has now reached Intel level pricing and the HORRIBLE HORRIBLE mess in product naming and completely useless SKU’s
This is no different than what AMD has already been doing, for few generations! If you look at the low end of the 5000-series APUs, they are Zen2-based. The key point is that these are low-end models that I'm guessing wouldn't be in products you'd contemplate buying, anyway.

Calling these turds 7000 series is a rip off.
Ideally, these would be Zen3+ (i.e. made on TSMC N6), rather than straight Zen3 on N7. Anything models with RDNA2 strongly suggests it'll be Zen3+ on N6, since that's what the 6000-series is already using. You could then consider these as additional 6000-series models, except probably based on when they're being launched, AMD is using the current numbering scheme.

cfbcfb

Reputable
Jan 17, 2020
Two trends we could really use to lose.

Pricing stuff at S-tier levels when its a 3 year old cpu core, and acting like everyone has free solar electricity and a second air conditioner to run a new computer. Just saw a 1300w power supply with two 12 pin gpu connectors.

Hey, Intel/Nvidia/AMD: Price your products to market out of the gate, stop deceiving people with phony model numbers that pros understand but consumers won't. And none of us really need an electric baseboard heater in their living room.

neblogai

Distinguished
This is no different than what AMD has already been doing, for few generations! If you look at the low end of the 5000-series APUs, they are Zen2-based. The key point is that these are low-end models that I'm guessing wouldn't be in products you'd contemplate buying, anyway.

Actually, entry tier laptops with Zen2 based 5300U were some of the best laptop offers this Q3-Q4, selling for €300-350 for very usable specs (5300U 8GB 256GB and IPS screen). Quadcore Zen2 is still more than enough performance for media consumption, and Vega6 iGPU is best entry gaming offer at this price range. I do not like Barcelo (Zen3 and Vega) for midrange 2023 all that much, but it still makes sense for budget laptops simply because laptop with it can be cheaper: DDR4 costs less than DDR5, and it is a simple refresh within an already available chassi.

prtskg

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2015
Actually, entry tier laptops with Zen2 based 5300U were some of the best laptop offers this Q3-Q4, selling for €300-350 for very usable specs (5300U 8GB 256GB and IPS screen). Quadcore Zen2 is still more than enough performance for media consumption, and Vega6 iGPU is best entry gaming offer at this price range. I do not like Barcelo (Zen3 and Vega) for midrange 2023 all that much, but it still makes sense for budget laptops simply because laptop with it can be cheaper: DDR4 costs less than DDR5, and it is a simple refresh within an already available chassi.
Zen3 also uses DDR4 unlike Zen3+ (Rembrandt). So AMD can use Zen3 in cheap laptops too. Is the cost of production of Zen3 that different than Zen2 or Rdna2 that different from Vega? While Zen2 and Vega is good enough, I think they also bring negative advertisement as they're quite old. I'm not sure AMD's laptop division is doing good.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Is the cost of production of Zen3 that different than Zen2 or Rdna2 that different from Vega?
I don't know about RDNA2 vs. Vega, but Zen3 is supposedly 14% larger than Zen2. So, if you're trying to compete on cost with something like Intel's E-core based Jasper Lake, then you'd want to use the smallest cores you could get away with. And Zen2 is still a faster core than Tremont.