AMD M processor battery life

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have heard conflicting report on how good/bad these prosessors are on
laptop batteries. Can someone relate their experiences? I'm looking at AMD
XP-M 2800+, AMD XP-M 3000+ and AMD 64 3000+

"nornet" <xiu3277@yahoo.com> wrote in message
|I have heard conflicting report on how good/bad these prosessors are on
| laptop batteries. Can someone relate their experiences? I'm looking at AMD
| XP-M 2800+, AMD XP-M 3000+ and AMD 64 3000+

It will vary greatly depending on other companents, primarily the video
adapter. I can relate personal experience based on a mobile A64. Mine is a
A64 3200+ (62w), but the battery life should be pretty much identical on a
3000+ and 3200+ (maybe couple minutes difference). WIth my GPU (relatively
power hungry ATI Radeon 9600 pro), I can get close to 3 hours on battery
letting the CPU throttle down when not needed. At full speed, it is much
mcuh lower. I hope this helps at least a little.

"Jason Cothran" <reply@board.nomail> wrote in

> "nornet" <xiu3277@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>|I have heard conflicting report on how good/bad these prosessors are
>|on
>| laptop batteries. Can someone relate their experiences? I'm looking
>| at AMD XP-M 2800+, AMD XP-M 3000+ and AMD 64 3000+
>
> It will vary greatly depending on other companents, primarily the
> video adapter. I can relate personal experience based on a mobile
> A64. Mine is a A64 3200+ (62w), but the battery life should be pretty
> much identical on a 3000+ and 3200+ (maybe couple minutes difference).
> WIth my GPU (relatively power hungry ATI Radeon 9600 pro), I can get
> close to 3 hours on battery letting the CPU throttle down when not
> needed. At full speed, it is much mcuh lower. I hope this helps at
> least a little.

Thanks Jason,
The systems will be used for business applications, so
I expect we would see a little longer battery run time. Can you tell ne
what type of notebook you have and your impressions of it?
Paul

| "Jason Cothran" <reply@board.nomail> wrote in
|

| > "nornet" <xiu3277@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| >|I have heard conflicting report on how good/bad these prosessors are
| >|on
| >| laptop batteries. Can someone relate their experiences? I'm looking
| >| at AMD XP-M 2800+, AMD XP-M 3000+ and AMD 64 3000+
| >
| > It will vary greatly depending on other companents, primarily the
| > video adapter. I can relate personal experience based on a mobile
| > A64. Mine is a A64 3200+ (62w), but the battery life should be pretty
| > much identical on a 3000+ and 3200+ (maybe couple minutes difference).
| > WIth my GPU (relatively power hungry ATI Radeon 9600 pro), I can get
| > close to 3 hours on battery letting the CPU throttle down when not
| > needed. At full speed, it is much mcuh lower. I hope this helps at
| > least a little.
| >

| Thanks Jason,
| The systems will be used for business applications, so
| I expect we would see a little longer battery run time. Can you tell ne
| what type of notebook you have and your impressions of it?
| Paul

eMachines m6809 (recently replaced by the m6811 --- processor only
difference). I am very very impressed with the machine. The only thing I
even plan on changing is the hard drive. I will within a week be taking the
4200RPM drive out and putting a 7200RPM drive in. If you will be doing
mainly office applications though, you may want to look at one without the
radeon 9600. That will also lengthen your battery time.