AMD Makes Fun of Nvidia Fermi's Hotness

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]fulger[/nom]I am using nvidia from my first pc and never got a problem then i decide to buy ati (5870) i had to change 3 cards and the 4 card had artefacts so i waited like 3 moths and i change my card with 2 gtx 470 in sli not a single problem and the temperature not a problem i got the first card at 80% fan speed and the second at 70% and the themperatures never go uper then 80c(close case)so that's my experience with ati cards (i will never buy a ati card again)[/citation]
You were holding it wrong!

zcubed

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
Its interesting they bring this up when conveniently my HD 5870 started freaking out with gray box artifacts last night. Focus on your own products and drivers, AMD, before making fun of the competition. You're not perfect either.

quicksilver98

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
See this for what it is. Its a campaigning tactic. It's like Vote Democrat because.... Or Vote Republican because.... You guys need to grow up and drop all of the "Fan Boy" crap. You know if it was Nvidia doing it you would jump on the bandwagon and bash ATI. This brings me back to the whole hair dryer videos from a bit back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOVjZqC1AE4

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]AMD must be worried! If the past is any indication, these "all in good fun" strategies are usually pulled out as a last resort. I got a GTX460 and it's neither hot, slow or expensive - so...I guess AMD's petty attempt at "fun" is a little out of touch with reality.[/citation]

The 460 isn't the top of the line now is it? It took Nvidia 2 tries to get to where they are now. Meanwhile ATI has woes when it comes to Crossfire, which is a software problem. Wo which would you rather have? A card that needs a revision (another $400 poorly spent) or a card that is great form launch day and goes from fair to awesome as new drivers creap out? (And you NV boys have nothing there, I remember the 101.whatever driver revision and how it cooked older GF cards because it screwed with the fanspeeds on them. )

rockstone1

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]I remember a certain first gen product having the exact problem??http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/14 [...] w-roundup/[/citation]
Wow, that was only three years ago.

dfusco

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
[citation][nom]fulger[/nom]I am using nvidia from my first pc and never got a problem then i decide to buy ati (5870) i had to change 3 cards and the 4 card had artefacts so i waited like 3 moths and i change my card with 2 gtx 470 in sli not a single problem and the temperature not a problem i got the first card at 80% fan speed and the second at 70% and the themperatures never go uper then 80c(close case)so that's my experience with ati cards (i will never buy a ati card again)[/citation]

What!?!?!? I can't hear you over that roaring noise!!!

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
That was entertaining. :D
The occasional humorous jab at a competitor is alright, as long as they don't become too aggressive (political campaigns, Macintosh commercials etc.).

jimishtar

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
I bet we will find green in there lol
one of the best jokes i've seen :) hope nvidia strikes back, it will be cool to see more funny clips like this :)

mikeadelic

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
sweet mother of god, have you not heard of commas or periods?

G

Take a look at the 1min mark when the commander is taking a drink from his coffee..anyone notice the "subtle" F.U.? (looks at his finger on the cup). Accidental? I think not!

holyherbiness

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Somewhat nerdy and unfunny jab at Nvidia, though it's fun to see AMD/ATI do something like this. Feels like those low budget 5 hour energy commercials on Hulu.

Anyway, I'm proud to say I bought a Fermi, and my 195 dollar EVGA GTX 470 happily kicks the snot out of the more expensive 5850 (I'm talking sale prices here for brand new hardware based upon the last month) and can trade blows with the 5870 in DX11 games with the latest drivers. This, having done tons of research about whether to go either route ( I was actually leaning torwards the 5850 or 5870 at one point). That, and not having to have a large gamer case is a plus (9.5 inches Nvidia vs like upwards of a foot long for a 5xxx)
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3836/msis-geforce-n470gtx-gtx-470-sli/4

Though it does use a heck of a lot of power, but I figure it's like leaving an extra incandescent lamp on all year. And everyone whines and moans about the fan - uh, I can barely hear it at 80%. Heat? Okay yeah Nvidia gets spanked. This thing runs at like 70 idle and 80 under load.

Sure it took Nvidia a few tries to get it right, and the 5xxx series were still beating up on Nvidia's newer offerings until just a few months ago, but right now Nvidia 4xx series definitely feel like the better buy.

Guess we'll wait and see for the 6xxx series to keep Nvidia on its heels again. Oh. I forgot to mention. I love Radeon's Eyefinity - having to get SLI cards to run a similar setup on Nvidia kinda sucks.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
[citation][nom]jojesa[/nom]You were holding it wrong![/citation]
That's a good one, man!!!... lol
An Apple iPhone 4 joke for nVidia's Fermi... :D

blevsta

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
[citation][nom]holyherbiness[/nom]Oh. I forgot to mention. I love Radeon's Eyefinity - having to get SLI cards to run a similar setup on Nvidia kinda sucks.[/citation]

I think you're crazy. You just about need dual videocards to support that type of resolution anyways. So using 2 Nvidia cards in SLI makes sense.

ATI needs to work on their support for multiple cards. Right now you have to connect all monitors to the primary card, which means you must use display port for one connection. Also, in order to drive 6 monitors you have to buy a Eyefinity 6 card.

I'd say both multi-monitor setups have their pro's and cons. I'd give the edge to Nvidias solution right now because I'm willing to bet more people have dual video cards than display port monitors.

kikireeki

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
[citation][nom]ares1214[/nom]I doubt Nvidia will strike back, they dont have much to pick on with ATI this round. All they can do is brag they have the fastest cards and better tess. performance. Maybe they can make fun of the size of the ATI cards.[/citation]

How about grey screens, and half-assed drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.