AMD Makes Fun of Nvidia Fermi's Hotness

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phraun

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
[citation][nom]blevsta[/nom]I think you're crazy. You just about need dual videocards to support that type of resolution anyways. So using 2 Nvidia cards in SLI makes sense.ATI needs to work on their support for multiple cards. Right now you have to connect all monitors to the primary card, which means you must use display port for one connection. Also, in order to drive 6 monitors you have to buy a Eyefinity 6 card.I'd say both multi-monitor setups have their pro's and cons. I'd give the edge to Nvidias solution right now because I'm willing to bet more people have dual video cards than display port monitors.[/citation]
You can get DisplayPort to DVI adapters though... You CAN'T get "Add two more monitor outs to my card" adapters.

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
I ma having a BBQ tonight! I just got GT470 and I figure, it's cheaper than a $700 Weber Grill and it can play games while I grill a steak on it.

It's a win/win situation :)

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]I remember a certain first gen product having the exact problem??http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/14 [...] w-roundup/[/citation]
Well... not exactly. In addition to high temps and power consumption the HD2900 also struggled with performance. The 8800GTS 640, its closest competitor in price outperformed it in the majority of benchmarks. The HD2900 also didn't offer any additional features in or outside of gaming that were unique to ATI. The two generations are similar in that both were delayed, and had high temps and power consumption, but the similarities really end there.

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
lol best video ever as far as ati vs nvidia, i bet amd has been waiting to do something like this after all that nvidia has been doing, but at the end im for both as competition is good for us the consumer :)

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
The cooling fans are just wired to the front of the computers with no holes for airflow. While ATI is trying to make fun of nVidia, they fail at showing that the cards actually need lots of cooling, since those extra fans are NOT being used at all.

Also the line saying "Fermi again, that's the 3rd time this week" kind of implies the card is selling well.

Funny advertisement but will only really appeal to ATI fans.

braneman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
ok so Nvidia has really hot cards that come late to the market and ati has drivers that make me cringe, and leak memory in scII. I love ati's hardware and nvidia's driver support... damn...

Benderoffender

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
After Nvidia headed the premature eulogies parade on ATI back at 2007, I think they deserve it. I still remember some idiot reviews claiming it was the "the death of ATI". Well I hope they're happy roasting marshmallow and has browns on they're rigs....

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]The cooling fans are just wired to the front of the computers with no holes for airflow. While ATI is trying to make fun of nVidia, they fail at showing that the cards actually need lots of cooling, since those extra fans are NOT being used at all.Also the line saying "Fermi again, that's the 3rd time this week" kind of implies the card is selling well.Funny advertisement but will only really appeal to ATI fans.[/citation]

It's just for a bit of fun really. I thought it looked kind of funny with the fans stuck to the fronts like that. If you don't look closely enough (you only see them for a few seconds), it looks like they were strapped to the cases as an afterthought, which is kind of the point.

Oh and 3 Fermis in a week, that must be a 50% increase in sales since the week before. They're really selling like hotcakes :)

Doomsy2006

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Ya they could do better. Get some good actors and do a longer segment. Fermi Again....That's the 3rd time this week. HAHAHAH Still gotta hand it to them. I laughed.

Status
Not open for further replies.