News AMD Makes it Official: Ryzen 3 3300X and 3100 Launched, B550 Chipset Announced

NewJohnny

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
The lack of integrated graphics makes this a tough choice for media boxes, regardless of price. Intel still takes that space with their NUCs.

javiindo

Reputable
Jun 12, 2019
The i3 9100F is very powerful with his 4 cores/ 4 threads with 4.2Ghz boost. For gaming I still think it's the way to go.

tiggers97

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2013
"To put things in perspective, the new AMD chips come with the same core counts as Intel models that sold for ~$350 three short years ago."

Now I'm curious how these new AMD CPU's stack up against the 3 year old Intel CPU's

I am also curious how B550 is a budget board but includes PCIE 4.0. I wonder what kind of pricing we will see.
Wish they'd have also given details and specs... we were hearing that PCIe gen 4 applies only to NVME and 1st PCIe socket, furnished by the CPU. All other lanes furnished by the chipset would be PCIe 3. In addition to letting Asmedia do the honors with it, that should help drive cost down a lot while still uplifting performance since B450/X470 chipset furnished all PCIe gen 2 lanes if I'm not mistaken.

Would like to know exactly what's coming and put the rumors to bed though.

Reactions: RodroX

cwolf78

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
The lack of integrated graphics makes this a tough choice for media boxes, regardless of price. Intel still takes that space with their NUCs.

That's not the purpose of these CPUs. The upcoming desktop Renoir APUs should excel for that as well as some gaming as the flagship model will be roughly equivalent to the base PS4.

It'll be interesting to see how these fare against the stock 7700K if at/near similar all core speeds of 4.2 or 4.3 GHz (hopefully 4.5 GHz with OC?), just for gauging it's IPC/parity with Intel against a known 'decent gamer even today' processor....

Reactions: RodroX

InvalidError

Titan
I am also curious how B550 is a budget board but includes PCIE 4.0. I wonder what kind of pricing we will see.
Many B350/450 were able to do PCIe 4.0 fine for CPU-hosted lanes until AMD decided to push microcode update to kill it. Since B550 does little more than officially allow PCIe 4.0 support from the same CPU-hosted lanes and refresh existing IOs, B550 board prices shouldn't go up by much more than whatever premium AMD/ASMedia decide to charge for the chipset itself.

Unless board manufacturers also take the B550 opportunity to step up their mainstream VRM game a notch (ex.: real hex-phase VRM instead of souped-up triple/quads), I wouldn't expect B550 boards to cost much over $10 extra compared to similar B450 motherboards a similar amount of time after their respective launches.

You have to admit its funny to see AMD launching entry level CPUs to (just in case) have more gear to compete with Intel in the low end budget segment; while intel is launching higher core count parts to try to keep it up with AMD Ryzen 5/7/9 CPUs.

Who would have guess this 3 years ago.

Reactions: Soaptrail

TRENDING THREADS