News AMD Makes Zen 3 Official: Ryzen 5000 Promises 19% Better IPC, 1080p Gaming Dominance

JfromNucleon

Prominent
Oct 5, 2020
Wow, did not expect this, Intel might have to put a lot of effort to retake it's crown. Well competition is good for the consumer. (Though the price increase.........

Reactions: Shadowclash10
Wow, did not expect this, Intel might have to put a lot of effort to retake it's crown. Well competition is good for the consumer. (Though the price increase.........

Its always a good ideato wait and see what reviewers find out when they run thier own benchmarks, with the diferent settings, hardware, etc. But Ryzen 5xxx looks promising indeed.

One thing I like was the presentation itselt, it was sorta short and to the point, not going around stuff that no one really care, and way less inforcomercial style (thank God) than what nvidia did with the RTX 3000 series.

Now all we have to do is wait for independent reviews and see if reality meet expectations.

EDIT: Also it seems AMD is leetting go the Wraith cooler for the high end segment cpus.

JfromNucleon

Prominent
Oct 5, 2020
Its always a good ideato wait and see what reviewers find out when they run thier own benchmarks, with the diferent settings, hardware, etc. But Ryzen 5xxx looks promising indeed.

One thing I like was the presentation itselt, it was sorta short and to the point, not going around stuff that no one really care, and way less inforcomercial style (thank God) than what nvidia did with the RTX 3000 series.

Now all we have to do is wait for independent reviews and see if reality meet expectations.
One thing I noticed in the presentation was that the were not afraid to show a tie or even a negative

Giroro

Splendid
They eliminated equivalents to the overwhelmingly popular 3600 and 3700x, in lieu on the "pointlessly more expensive" 3600x and 3800x which performed nearly identically due to how the chips would almost never hit peak boost or base clocks.

So the price hike is more like $100, not $50.
And that's over launch msrp for the 3600, not the current lower market prices.
I doubt the gaming uplift for the 5600x is good enough to justify a 50% higher price, even if it beats a stock 10900k, that's still a relatively minor performance delta in an uncommon use case.

InvalidError

Titan
Well competition is good for the consumer. (Though the price increase.........
Well, if the competition can tack price hikes on parts that only slightly outperform the former leader, then you don't have particularly effective competition. This looks more like what would happen in an oligopoly - raise prices at every opportunity and hope your only competitor follows.

I was thinking of upgrading my i5-3470 to a Ryzen 5600 before the announcement but at those prices, I'll wait to see what Rocket Lake pricing and performance will look like.

It is also a $90 hike over the current going price of a 3600X on Amazon.com.

Perhaps the main reason AMD decided to axe some of its most popular options and jack up prices at the same time is because it is severely short on 7nm wafer starts and needs to cool off demand until manufacturing can catch up.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
One thing I noticed in the presentation was that the were not afraid to show a tie or even a negative
Both Intel and Nvidia usually stay away from comparing their products to products from other companies. That opens too many cans of worms and opportunities for complaining and nitpicking. When you're comparing vs your previous generation products, the new one really shouldn't ever be slower.

They eliminated equivalents to the overwhelmingly popular 3600 and 3700x, in lieu on the "pointlessly more expensive" 3600x and 3800x which performed nearly identically due to how the chips would almost never hit peak boost or base clocks.

I doubt the gaming uplift for the 5600x is good enough to justify a 50% higher price, even if it beats a stock 10900k, that's still a relatively minor performance delta in an uncommon use case.

AMD is launching this CPU in november 5, which does not mean this are the only 5000 series CPU they will launch.

Im guessing AMD just took a diferent approach to announce what they think they can deliver at this point, with a global pandemic going on. They are surely going to be building the silicon stock to launch new cheaper CPUs later on when the time is right.

Reactions: prtskg and kal326

InvalidError

Titan
When you're comparing vs your previous generation products, the new one really shouldn't ever be slower.
Not really. Some changes made out of necessity or some non-performance-driven constraints (ex.: going to a chiplets-based architecture for better yields) do adversely affect performance. For example, Zen 2 has ~20ns worse memory latency than Zen 1+ due to the extra overhead of having to go through the CCD-IOD interface.

Reactions: Shadowclash10

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Not really. Some changes made out of necessity or some non-performance-driven constraints (ex.: going to a chiplets-based architecture for better yields) do adversely affect performance. For example, Zen 2 has ~20ns worse memory latency than Zen 1+ due to the extra overhead of having to go through the CCD-IOD interface.
Sure, but did that manifest itself in a measurable decrease in application performance? Bulldozer was such a steaming pile, that the deficiencies from the chiplets never resulted in worse performance.

LaminarFlow

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2016

This is exactly the problem I'm facing. I'm due for a major upgrade and have a B550 motherboard ready to go. I was eagerly waiting for the direct upgrade of a 3700x, but am disappointed if only the 5600x and 5800x are offered at the November 5th launch. The $269 for a 3700x (+ usb sticks) ad at Walmart is still up. I want to get the Zen 3s, but if I'm trying to stay in comparable price range I have to lose 2 cores and pay more.

There may not be any increase of performance per dollar when going from a discounted 3700x to a 5600x. Not to mention there will likely be shortage of the new stuff at launch.

JayNor

Reputable
May 31, 2019
I wonder how a Tiger Lake-H will compare, and if we'll see that before the Rocket Lake-S.

I also wonder how much lpddr5 will improve performance on the same benchmarks using Tiger Lake.

hannibal

Distinguished
Well amd did get Intel between hammer and anwil!
They managed to put 5000 serieas above the Intel in price and performance and old 3000 serieas remains to be the budget solution below intel!
Wery sensible prising!
Also They can wait for Intel release and collect cpus that don`t bin as high as is needed for these and release 5700x and 5600 cpus to compete Intel next line up with prices if nesessary or put Also those $50 above older stuff to underline their technological leadership this round.
Also what was interesting is that use the same production node as with 3000 series so their cost per chip does not increase! That leaves room next year to release zen3+ cpus with 7nm+ production node plus some extra tweaks to further increase the ipc, before They go for ddr5 at 2020!
So They can release new models with very Little changes architecture wise and still be very competative with intels 10nm? Or 14nm releases next year!

everettfsargent

Honorable
Oct 13, 2017
This is not true ! using special offers is not professional. you are using Amazon special discount that wont last.

This CPU Price is $1000

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-edition-processor-24-75m-cache-3-00-ghz.html

and it is still being sold $999 on most sites. bestbuy , b&h and many others ..
Correct on the i9-10980XE (18-core) pricing. The ~$800 Amazon (also a B&H i9-10980XE misdirect to their own i9-10920X page) price is/were/are a scam. I know, because I ordered one from Amazon and got an i9-10920X (12-core) instead (received on 10/5/2020, return shipped at 9:31AM 10/6/2020) . Amazon should receive my RMA return package tomorrow. Perhaps by the middle of next week I'll see a full refund to my bank account.

The original reason for ordering? Stated as sold and shipped by Amazon ...
https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i9-10980XE-Desktop-Processor-Unlocked/dp/B07YP6D8RK
Do not buy this even if it says sold and shipped by Amazon.

Reactions: prtskg

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
AMD is launching this CPU in november 5, which does not mean this are the only 5000 series CPU they will launch.

Im guessing AMD just took a diferent approach to announce what they think they can deliver at this point, with a global pandemic going on. They are surely going to be building the silicon stock to launch new cheaper CPUs later on when the time is right.
Exactly. These are launch chips and they are bringing 4 models out at launch in less than a month.

Nvidia can’t even get launching one chip in volume going with launches a week or more apart right. Add to that the third chip series was delayed.
It remains to be seen what sort of volume they have at launch, but I’m sure more models and prices will follow once things in manufacturing and logistics sort of settle down