AMD Market Share Gains Accelerate in Desktop PCs, Servers and Mobile

It is hard to believe that OEM are still dragging their feet in adopting AMD CPUs. What are they going to do when AMD is on 7nm and Intel on 14nm+++?

I am still waiting for a laptop with a great IPS screen, a thin form factor and a 2700u/3700u offering. As of now, most of the Ryzen mobile laptops are garbage.

bramahon

Distinguished
May 4, 2010

Could you be more precise on that? Is it the configuration, price or drivers? From where I hail, the main issue is availability, with retailers bent on shoving only Intel down the throat of hapless customers.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
@bramahon I can't speak for @redgarl, but I've heard a lot of complaints about drivers. Driver distribution was left to OEMs, who by all accounts have been doing a terrible job at making up-to-date drivers available.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-responds-ryzen-mobile-drivers,38123.html

I think there may also be a lack of quality options with AMD parts, and instead they get stuck in cheaper units with low res TN screens, slow HDDs, etc that make them less desirable.

compprob237

Distinguished

Most of them are considered "cheap" alternatives to the Intel models. They typically get paired with awful laptop HDDs, low RAM, and get paired with a wimpy mobile GPU. That's probably what they're talking about.

msroadkill612

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
The mobile processor is brilliant. Correctly optioned and with proper divers direct from amd, it is unbeatable in the largest segment - sub dgpu mobile.

There are very good rigs from oems like HP & dell, which allow customising, and amd are taking charge of drivers very soon.

oems have made getting a KISS good one stock very messy, and the retail sales force seems very incentivised to shift intel inventory to customers.

Merit won thru for zen desktop DIY and more gradually pre-builts, and it will for mobile, but the same lag factors are even greater.

Decent graphics are non negotiable on a modern rig. For a road warrior, 4 cores is sufficient, but intel's included graphics don't cut it.

Add an Nvidia graphics card, and intel is back to being competitive, but at a very different price and power consumption point - but that point's bar will rise hugely in a year or so with 7nm APU mobiles.

Feb 6, 2019
@Bramahon Most of the OEMs have used terrible cooling solutions and power management options leading to severe throttling with Ryzen mobile.

mateau

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011

Actually a couple of years ago I bought the ASUS FX550IU-WSFX laptop from NewEgg. For what I paid for it I have zero complaints. It has the Bristol Ridge AMD Quad Core FX-9830P Processor with a Radeon RX 460 and 1920 x 1080 screen.

Of course Ryzen is better; faster and more capable. But I find it hard to justify replacing the Asus for something better. Unless of course I can find a laptop that is thinner and lighter. The Asus was also quite a bit lighter than the
Lenovo W-540 I was schlepping around and the screen is better. My primary reason for an HD laptop was for Autocad Civil 3d in the field, the screen is phenomenal. I also travel a lot internationally and my laptop is essential communications for everything as well as entertainment.

AMD products are every bit as good as Intel if not better with Radeon on die. They are also cheaper.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
@compprob237

That's not completely the case now, the Ryzen laptops are saddled with sub par screens, battery, and likely also using a mechanical HDD (of larger capacity but who cares) compaired to an Intel laptop of the same price range. Which matters way more than if the laptop can play crysis.

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015

AMD did update its policy here, now it provides drivers directly.

AMD also addressed recent customer complaints about drivers for existing Ryzen Mobile parts, which currently only come from OEMs. Now all Radeon software updates apply to all Ryzen Mobile Laptops, even the previous-gen Ryzen models. That should allow customers to get their bugfixes and day-zero game drivers directly from AMD as they are released.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-3000-series-picasso-apu-ryzen,38290.html

What I've seen in Ryzen laptops compared to Intel laptops so far has been low quality low resolution screens, low capacity batteries, lower quality build quality, lack of quality parts overall effecting the rest of the entire system (Cooling, Benzels, Chassis, HDD, SSD, RAM, RAM Configuration, etc.)

This isn't AMD's fault, but AMD pays for it with less sales of its mobile processors.

Great IPS screen with Freesync, high quality battery, great keyboard and mousepad, nice speakers, thin form factor, SSD, fast memory...

All of what is available are 700$ laptop cutting corners everywhere. My only hope is Microsoft Surface new generation... I never though I would be anticipating a microsoft laptop ever in my life.

Feb 6, 2019
Does Ford, or GM make the greatest cars? No. Still they are giants and have good market share.
AMD had always been a very good deal, especially on the desktop side. You get more for your money. Having such a miserable market share is only because of their bad marketing. Stop lying to people, you're not faster than Intel! Start talking with numbers and tell people you're the better deal.

mateau

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011

That's not true at all. HP and Dell are building very good Ryzen Laptops not to mention Asus Republic of Gamers Ryzen machines. There will be many thin form factor laptops this fall as well. In fact 1920x1800 graphics are all in.

AMD is continuing to grow it's market share in both laptops and desktops. And like I pointed out with the Asus FX550IU it is an excellent gaming machine and it was very well priced at well under $900.

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished

Actually my experience when I bought my Ryzen was that Intel had nothing to compete in the performance territory I needed. When the 1st gen Ryzen launched, an OCd R7 1700 could handle bigger workloads than a 10 core 6950x which retailed for ~$2000 in my country. So for fully threaded workloads (rendering mostly), my $365CAD Ryzen was both faster than an Intel 10 core (for my purposes) and over $1600 cheaper. That was the facts in 2017.

Intel has used an awful lot of propaganda and PR stunts to try to convince people that this reality didn't exist, while making processors that are only extremely marginally better in one area, and generally not as good in others.

I think the problem is people are generally unintelligent and lap up the nonsense like good dogs.

Think about it ...

Intel is better than AMD because it can open chrome in .0001 second as opposed to .00015 seconds. Really? Who cares?
Intel is better at single threaded performance. Great, now I can open my browser a microsecond faster that I won't notice.
Intel is better at low threaded gaming ... sure if you bottleneck the CPU and take the GPU out of the equation -- who games like that? No one ...
"Intel has a 5ghz 28 core processor available for you before the end of 2018!" - ok we know where that BS went ...
Intel was the first to 5ghz ... no AMD was, back on their crappy bulldozer processor.
Intel processors use less power .. no ... they don't ... they use more.
Etc.

The problem isn't that AMD can't sell the "budget" processor line, the problem is that reality is escaping most people, because they believe in BS and lies. I for one am happy to see that AMD, under Lisa Su, has processors that stay mainly withing their TDP, that AMD official leaks are often understated, not exaggerated (like some other companies "RTX - 6 times faster than GTX, plus Raytracing!"). I am appreciating their honesty.

If you think that Intel's "Marketing" (propaganda) is what AMD needs, I think you are wrong about that ... we certainly don't need another Intel ...

Besides, this gets into the fanboi argument that "company X has the best flagship, therefore all their products at all their price points are superior to all competition" - which is what I was gathering you saw as the issue ... it is an issue.

A Ford GT always seems to beat out Ferrari's best at leMans -- in fact that is why Ford built the GT in the 60's --- strictly to beat the crap out of Ferrari at LeMans. And it does ... fairly consistently. The 2017 GT also beat out Ferrari at LeMans.

Numbers prove that Ford has the best flagship grand touring car in the industry. Does that mean that all Ford products are better than all their competitors at any price point for any purpose? Ford fanbois would say yes ... intelligent people would know better than to think like that.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
At some point AMD will need to sell laptops and desktop with their own brand so users can benefit from the lower prices for a given performance of their cpu's.

Better quality in other components or lower prices keeping the overall quality.

For mobile AMD top chips can easily be $100-150 less than equivalent 4c/8t mobile intel cpu's.

mateau

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011

It's ironic that you use Detroit Iron as a metaphor for PC's. You see Detroit has been selling cars for decades based on Race Results. Winning performance on the track equates to sales performance in the showroom.

And Intel has for years been claiming the top spots in consumer CPU's and server CPU's. Both Threadripper and EPYC has knocked Intel off that tier. Threadripper with 32 cores and 64 threads of execution and bandwidth and EPYC !!!

And then there is 7nm EPYC ROME!!! AMD has already sold several thousand of these for supercomputers we know about.

And 7nm THREADRIPPER!!

The Detroit Iron reference was spot on. Halo products from Nvidia and Intel are why both have dominated. So many people see whoever is best then go buy their products however under 1% can afford the best. AMD is starting to get it in the CPU space so when Zen 2 based products land we should see some nice Halo products. I hope they take that to heart and make a monster Navi product even if its extremely costly. The marketing is worth it alone to develop these Halo products that say to everyone mine is better than your best product.

stdragon

Admirable
Last I looked into speccing out a Ryzen based laptop, many reviews pointed out a common theme - gimped PCIe lanes to the M.2 slot. It wasn't because of the CPU, just a MB design consideration for whatever reason. Makes no sense to me unless they're trying to force it into the low-end of the market so as to not take market share away from their existing Intel/nVidia laptops.

mateau

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011

EliteBook 755 G5 with AMD Ryzen™ 7 PRO 2700U processor (2.2 GHz, up to 3.8 GHz with Turbo Boost, 4 MB cache, 4 core) + Integrated AMD Radeon™ Vega Graphics (2MN16AV)

15.6" diagonal FHD LED UWVA Anti-Glare for WWAN for HD Webcam slim (1920x1080)

32 GB (2x16 GB) DDR4 2400

512 GB M2 SATA-3 FIPS TLC SSD

OR.....

ASUS ROG STRIX GL702ZC-WB74 AMD Gaming Laptop, Ryzen 7 1700, Radeon RX580 4GB, 17.3” FHD FreeSync Display, 16GB DDR4, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD
AMD 8-Core RYZEN 7 1700 Processor, 3.0 GHz (16M Cache, up to 3.7 GHz)
AMD Radeon RX580 4GB built on Polaris architecture for incredible VR and HD gaming
16GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD for ideal balance of OS drive speed and storage
17.3" FHD (1920*1080), matte, 60Hz, WV, Free-SYNC
Red-backlit tactile gaming keyboard with 1.6mm key travel distance

'nuff said?

Try Googling "gimped PCIe lanes". You are not original.

The nm process size is not comparable between different companies. TSMC's 7nm process yields at 83 million transistors per mm^2. Intel's 14nm process yields 37.5 million transistors per mm^2, but their 10nm process yields 101 million transistors per mm^2. So Intel's 10nm process (if they can ever get it working reliably) is actually smaller than TSMC's 7nm process.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_nanometer#7_nm_process_offerings
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_nanometer#10_nm_process_nodes

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished

One Caveat ... Considering how tight Intel's 10nm was initially planned, how long and hard they struggled with failure, and the wiggle room they have to still make a 10nm claim ... I am not 100% certain that what they set out to achieve for 10nm will be what they produce in the end.

anticeon

Distinguished
May 22, 2014
AMD, pleasee... Notebook processor is very important because nobody use desktop anymore. i hope they can make great APU for notebook

TRENDING THREADS