News AMD Might Refresh the Radeon RX 6000 Lineup in Late April

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Even with a slight bump in clock speed and faster VRAM, it is not going to make a significant difference in terms of performance, nor resolve its weakness in RT. I feel it is just a waste of money to refresh current gen cards. The same applies to Nvidia’s refresh, which we know barely improve performance.
In addition, I feel AMD should just can the RX 6400 series or make it exclusive to OEMs. If the RX 6500 XT is the first card to be sold below MSRP in such times, that says a lot about the demand, or rather the lack of demand for it in the hardware enthusiasts/ budget gamer market. Sadly, the RX 6500 XT is seen as a card of last resort, i.e. if there are no other reasonably priced card to buy, then someone will pick it up if they muse have a dGPU.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Minor editing nitpick:
It is unclear whether the new cards will also feature improved GPU performance (because of higher clocks or an improved configuration), but it is said that the new parts will be slightly more expensive than the existing Radeon RX 6900 XT, Radeon RX 6700 XT, and Radeon RX 6650 XT.

I think that's supposed to be 6600 XT.

In addition, I feel AMD should just can the RX 6400 series or make it exclusive to OEMs. If the RX 6500 XT is the first card to be sold below MSRP in such times, that says a lot about the demand, or rather the lack of demand for it in the hardware enthusiasts/ budget gamer market. Sadly, the RX 6500 XT is seen as a card of last resort, i.e. if there are no other reasonably priced card to buy, then someone will pick it up if they muse have a dGPU.

I disagree, and that reasoning doesn't follow. If there's a market even for the GT 1030, then there's certainly a market for the 6400, which will outperform it.

Depending on the price, of course.