AMD misidentified or newbie taken to the cleaners?

jdc

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2002
HI,

I just bought an AMD athlon 2700+, and an asus a7n8x mb. I hooked everything up and after getting windows installed, i clicked on MyComputer and the system info said I had an AMD athlon 1500+ running at 1.3 ghz..

Did I get hosed?

I downloaded HotCPU tester and it identified the CPU as an AMD 1500+ also.

Any ideas?.. i am new at this so be kind.

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
dude you didn't get hosed, you need to set the FSB to 166Mhz, and because you bought a good new motherboard, this will not be a problem. This can be done in the BIOS....just look for "FSB", or "clock frequency", and set to 166.

your CPU multiplyer is x13

so when you run your computer with FSB 100 you get 1.3Ghz

SO YOU MUST CHANGE THE FSB to 166 Mhz, then you'll be running at 2700+

let us know if this helps :)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by FiL on 11/23/02 10:51 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
Your XP 2700+ should be running at about 2.17GHz (166MHz FSB x 13 multiplier). Which means it is erroneously set to 1.333GHz (100MHz FSB x 13 multiplier). Get into the BIOS by holding down the delete key upon system startup. While in the Bios, select Advanced chipset features:

- Set "CPU Interface" to aggressive
- Set "Memory Frenquency" to 166 (assuming you have at least DDR333 SDRAM memory)
- Set "CPU External Freq. (MHz)" to 166MHz
- Set "SDRAM CAS Latency" to 2
- Set "SDRAM Active Precharge delay" to 5
- Set "SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay" to 2
- Set "SDRAM RAS Precharge Delay" to 2
- Set "CPU Vcore Setting" to Manual
- Set "CPU Vcore" to 1.75V
- Set "Graphics Aperture Size" to 128MB
- Set "AGP Frequency" to 66MHz

Press the "Esc" key. Then, Save and exit the BIOS. Report back to this forum with your experiences if it's not too much trouble. And if you have windows XP, and have not already done so, install <A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/pro/downloads/servicepacks/sp1/default.asp" target="_new">Service Pack 1</A>.

<i>It's your world kid!!!</i>

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
No, you've been had. But if you send me your chip, Ill send you a nice 1800+ which runs at 1.533 which is a bit faster... :)

I'm only messing, you need to change the cpu clock frequency to 166 in the bios as per above.
What type of memory have you got? I hope PC2700 or faster?

<font color=red> -- </font color=red><font color=blue>A bush in the hand is worth two birds at the bar</font color=blue>

jdc

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2002
ok.

i knew i was doing something stupid. (and it was late and i was into my 6th beer.. only because one of the howto's i read said you must drink 6 of your favorite beverage while building your first pc from scratch and that is way more then the one or 2 i have on the way home from work (ask my wife))

the only eason i was worried is because i had some problems with the place i bought the components from and i was sure that this just added to the heap..

thanks again everyone :)

for ms ( i did get 3 512 mb, corsair pc2700 w/ the plat heat spreaders)

eden

Champion
I must admit I am impressed that the XP2700+ really is out!
Although I'd like a combo nForce 2 with a good price to prove me this is a worthy processor with price/performance over an Intel ATM.

--
*You can do anything you set your mind to man. -Eminem

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
...and that is way more then the one or 2 i have on the way home from work...
I hope you're not driving...

Let us know how the 2700+ works out :)

*PIII-800 @900 i440BX SMP and Tualeron 1.2 @1.74 i815*

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
I think on that motherboard you would benefit from using 2 modules of RAM, so you can run it in dual channel configuration. You've got 3 you say..? That is a lot. Why so much?

<font color=red> -- </font color=red><font color=blue>A bush in the hand is worth two birds at the bar</font color=blue>

jdc

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2002
no drinking and driving for me :)

I bought 3 modules due to ignorance. (newbie see 3 slots, newbie buy three sticks). since i am having trouble getting everything working. (see other thread) i used one of the modules to upgrade another computer.

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
It's good to see people taking the plunge and building their own system. Good choice of parts too. Nice one bruvva.

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Eden, where have you been hiding? <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1" target="_new">Newegg</A> has had the 2800+ in for over a week now, and in stock. The only cavet is that you <i>must</i> purchase a new motherboard that is on the approved list (which I think are any KT400 and NF2 boards). And it also costs $410 for the OEM, plus the MB cost. But they are out. I'm sure more and more places have the 2800+ out. We just won't see retail versions for another 4 weeks probably.

-SammyBoy

Some day, THG-willing, I shall obtain the coveted "Old Hand" title.

eden

Champion
While this is hard proof, I feel like I'll only believe this if someone buys one and takes a pic. It just seems so unlikely that the January-prone to release chip is out now.
But it seems to be, which is rather weird.

--
*You can do anything you set your mind to man. -Eminem

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
I think what it means is that Newegg is a "Tier One" reseller for AMD and when AMD ended up with CPUs that OEMs didn't want, they gave Newegg first dibs. They aren't listed on pricewatch, and I only found them because I was looking at prices for other mid and top range AMD and Intel procs. If in fact Newegg got them from AMD, they are only selling them for $13 above list price... or some OEMs sold Newegg their surplus chips. I still don't think we'll see retail models of the 2800+ until after Christmas.

-SammyBoy

Some day, THG-willing, I shall obtain the coveted "Old Hand" title.

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
My friend just had same thing happen........order xp 2100+ 266mhz and cpwin and sisoft I.D.'s it as 1500+ 1.33mhz 200fsb Palimino...friends was supposed to be AMD Athlon XP 2100+ 1.73ghz 266mhz wit new quanti speed.........markings on cpu ID's it with two IDs (one AX2100DMTC3 and underneath AGOIA0217WPDW)...friend is looking to return it (especially since they paid higher for the one orderd).......jdc, if you still check in can you let me know if you returned yours.......anyone else with info please respond.......thank you

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your friend is an idiot and is costing all of us money. His CPU is supposed to run at 13x133.3MHz (1733MHz), but he has his bus speed set at 100MHz instead of 133MHz. If he sends it back he's adding to the cost we all pay for companies to deal with these bad customers. AMD was too stupid to place bus speed detection pins on their CPU, so all boards default to 100MHz bus speed unless you MANUALLY change it to 133 in BIOS or by a jumper on the board.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
no, you are wrong, there is nothing wrong with your chip
for the 2100+ your FSB needs to be 133... you are running it at 100, 100x13 = 1.3 Ghz, you need to up your FSB to 133, 133x13 = 1.73 Ghz

seems like this is mentioned a lot...
again, there is nothing wrong with your chip

also, if the power goes out, or your bios gets reset, you may need to change this again

(bb || !bb) - Shakespeare

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
i am not sure this has anything to do with AMD's "stupidity" more that someone didn't read the manual, OEM boards all have DIP switches for the FSB so that computers come set-up without hassles... and n00B customers don't have this "problem",

i feel that anyone installing a processor themselves should know at least how to read, or otherwise have been taught how to install (including setup) one correctly,

(bb || !bb) - Shakespeare

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can put together a PIII or P4 system without reading a thing or changing any BIOS/Dip/Jumper settings, unless you have a board made for overclocking which ignores the FS pins. This is a great deal for OEM's as they simply slap them together and don't configure a thing.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

eden

Champion
Yes indeed, we get too often the FSB question.

--
<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">The THGC Photo Album, send your pics and see others'!</A>

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
excellent......thank you crashman and tnadrev........I just got an rma...but really wanted this info instead........I am the buider and idiot (I know how to clock but when saw cpwin and sisoft id info [below], I didn't want to overclock it)...and I have not yet shipped...and yes I am certainly pissed at the return shipping fee and do not want to send it back if I am in err (or even if they were in err)...I am up to my A** in puter parts for friends and didn't need another delay...this makes me so happy...I just couldn't believe what i saw with sisoft and cpwin (the 1500+/200 palamino)can this be?...I am back to the drawing board...and I could kiss you both (it's o.k... I am a dudette).......Merry Xmax

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sorry, didn't mean to insult you directly (I normally reserve direct insults for the truely stupid).

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
No I failed to put in LOL after saying I am the idiot. I was not upset, but overly happy that someone had replied. (also,if you saw the mess I am in here you would understand...total disarray)...may I ask another question? I reinstalled and clocked it up to 1700 but multiplier only allowed 12.5 and I put fsb at 135 or 136..not sure at moment..now when I run 3dmark it (conmputer) restarts after about 30sec. to 1 min into benchmark...I put core at 1.75 and my atx psu is 400watt generic...and cpu temp is around 40c-43-c...never had this trouble with video card before...thanx again and thanx for being concerned.

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
think I got it.......I don't know which, but I put clock mulitiplier at default, fsb at 133mhz and changed video off method form V/H sync+Blank to DPMS (am using shuttle ak35).......ran right through 3dmark...thanx again

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That sounds like a heat problem. Do you have a piece of software (should be included on the board CD) that monitors temperature? I've also seen the problem caused by video card heat and overly aggressive memory timing.