amd motherboard ??? or p4??

chunka1

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2001
Planning to build my first puter and need a reliable system.. somthing that can be installed easy enough. are those ecs k7vza board any good with a amd t-b 1.4? or should i stay with a p4? any suggestions, thanks

dazed and confused with all this puter stuff

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
That depends on what you want to do. If you need a top line motherboard with the best possibilities for overclocking go for the known names: Abit, Asus, etc. If you want a cheaper mobo (still high quality) with less OC possibilities go for ECS k7vza. It is a via KT 133 based mobo for about US$55-60. You can see how it performs against its competitors at http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q1/010117/index.html. One part from the conclusion of this review was: “During the performance tests, the ECS K7VZA challenges the positions of the Asus A7V and the AOpen AK73 Pro. The design of the ECS board can, therefore, be described as a clear success. The ECS board is less suited to overclockers as it neither allows adjustment possibilities for the Vcore core voltage or 1 MHz steps for the processor bus clock nor does it allow adjustments to the multiplier”

However, there is a couple of things to say:
This mobo (in general via KT133 mobo’s) doesn’t support DDR ram.
The revision tested at Tom’s was 1.0. Currently you can buy 3.X. (better support for Athlon 1.4)
About P4, there are lots of opinions, but there is one clear fact: in general AMD is cheaper at the same performance. So if money it’s an issue go for AMD, no doubt.

Good luck

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
The ECS K7S5A is better than the K7VZA because it uses the faster and more stable, SiS735 chipset. It has support for both DDR and SD-RAM.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!

G

I have just built two 'puters with AMD 1400/266 T-Birds and the ABit KG7R MoBo. Unless you want to overclock or just like fiddling with system settings you probably don't really need the TOL ASUS or ABit MoBos, but Bang for the Buck... I don't feel like the P4 can compete.

So far, I am enjoying COMPLETE stability (and the extra RAM I could afford since I didn't pay a Zillion dollars for the Intel name.)