[SOLVED] Amd motherboards overheating?

pocketgaming12

Reputable
Jan 2, 2019
So i was at my local pc shop and was talking about upgrading to ryzen 5 3600.
The owner told me that he doesn't recommend me that because of some overheating problems of the motherboards?
He showed me a MSI X570-A PRO in his workstation and told me that it has that same problem and that its really bad, like pc crashing, driver problems...
Now what i dont know does that mean all of the motherboards have that problem? I was thinking of buying the B450 AORUS PRO but now i'm like real scared....
Any help is apprecheated!

Be suspicious of generalizing salesmen. And always remember the store probably has more margin on the Intel parts they're selling to get you into the same performance class so there's an incentive to steer you away from anything AMD.

I have no problems with overheating on my B450m Mortar / 3700x combination.

Last edited:
So, i think that i will take this one https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-B450-AORUS-PRO-WIFI/dp/B07FW85VFT (not from that specific link but that model) .
Hope there will be no problems!
What will be the rest of your system build...CPU, RAM, GPU, PSU, Case? Have you settled on that yet?

If still settled on the 3600 it should be a good match. But pushing on to 12 or 16 core (if that's a gleam in your eye) things start getting dicey.

ALSO, be sure to ask your store if it's Ryzen 3000 ready or will need a BIOS update.

pocketgaming12

Reputable
Jan 2, 2019
What will be the rest of your system build...CPU, RAM, GPU, PSU, Case? Have you settled on that yet?

If still settled on the 3600 it should be a good match. But pushing on to 12 or 16 core (if that's a gleam in your eye) things start getting dicey.

ALSO, be sure to ask your store if it's Ryzen 3000 ready or will need a BIOS update.
I asked that before they told me about the thermal issues, but they have said that it is not a problem to update the BIOS if it is needed and that they would do it. I will pair the 3600 with a Gigabyte RTX 2060 super and 3200mhz 2x8gb ram, but for the case and psu and other stuff I will still see what they offer. The main problem was the thermal thing that they were saiyng to me, nothing else.

Jan 9, 2020
So i was at my local pc shop and was talking about upgrading to ryzen 5 3600.
The owner told me that he doesn't recommend me that because of some overheating problems of the motherboards?
He showed me a MSI X570-A PRO in his workstation and told me that it has that same problem and that its really bad, like pc crashing, driver problems...
Now what i dont know does that mean all of the motherboards have that problem? I was thinking of buying the B450 AORUS PRO but now i'm like real scared....
Any help is apprecheated!
Add more cooling

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
On my MSI B350 Mortar (not cheap but not high end either) board (1st gen Ryzen chip - OCd), I was noting that one of my mobo temps would get to ~110C, sometimes higher, under very heavy load (all cores 100% over long period of time). Seemed high to me but everything worked normal so I ignored it. I'm sure if someone saw this they'd say it was overheated.

I updated my bios not long ago, and notice now it only goes to ~90C under heavy load, which is closer to what I would expect.

Not sure what about the bios update made the change ... maybe it was just a temp offset issue?

Anyway, just an anecdote.

On my MSI B350 Mortar (not cheap but not high end either) board (1st gen Ryzen chip - OCd), ...

1st gen processors were far less efficient as are 3rd gen, and B350 boards had notoriously inadequate VRM heat sinks. I have both a B350m Mortar / 1700 combo and a B450m Mortar / 3700X combo that are worlds apart in VRM cooling.

One thing that helps is to put a fan blowing on the heatsink if you aren't using a Stealth cooler. Doesn't have to be a big one, or especially fast, just something to keep the hot air moving out of dead air zones.

Last edited:

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
1st gen processors were far less efficient as are 3rd gen, and B350 boards had notoriously inadequate VRM heat sinks. I have both a B350m Mortar / 1700 combo and a B450m Mortar / 3700X combo that are worlds apart in VRM cooling.

Yeah MSI didn't take Ryzen launch seriously - that much was obvious with "too small" bios and all that. I did want to put in a 3900x into it, but unsure how well that will work ... MSI tells me it will :) I updated the bios already to zen2 compatible and now the bios sucks (I can't overclock properly with it anymore - have to use Ryzen Master)

The one thing that does give me hope the 3900x will work, is that I acccidently had 180w being pulled through my socket with my 1700 during some benchmarking after I updated the bios and it didn't crap out or give me any grief. The voltage was at 1.68v for some reason (I think the MSI OC tool did that when left on "auto" and I OCd it t 3.9) - and it ran like that through all mybenchmarking until I noticed my cooler at full tilt, and then, that huge power draw in HWMonitor, then realized the CPU voltage was waaaay too high ... I was surprised the CPU just took it like it was nothing. :)

The voltage was at 1.68v for some reason (I think the MSI OC tool did that when left on "auto" and I OCd it t 3.9) - and it ran like that through all mybenchmarking until I noticed my cooler at full tilt, and then, that huge power draw in HWMonitor, then realized the CPU voltage was waaaay too high ... I was surprised the CPU just took it like it was nothing. :)

It may have said 1.68 but actually not more than 1.50 or 1.55. Pretty sure 1.68 would have fried it pretty quick.

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
It may have said 1.68 but actually not more than 1.50 or 1.55. Pretty sure 1.68 would have fried it pretty quick.

Whatever it was, HWMonitor said it was pulling 180w at the socket at 3.875Ghz (at normal OC voltage (1.375) this is ~130w), and my cooler noise was telling me a similar story (but it never exceeded 85C - I have a pretty good cooler). Maybe someone can do some dirty math on that. :)

Like I said, I was surprised something bad didn't happen, but it didn't even crash ...

Whatever it was, HWMonitor said it was pulling 180w at the socket at 3.875Ghz (at normal OC voltage (1.375) this is ~130w), and my cooler noise was telling me a similar story (but it never exceeded 85C - I have a pretty good cooler). Maybe someone can do some dirty math on that. :)

Like I said, I was surprised something bad didn't happen, but it didn't even crash ...
I'm sure you know by now that HWINFO64 or Ryzen Master are the only monitoring software's that should be used with Ryzen.

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
I'm sure you know by now that HWINFO64 or Ryzen Master are the only monitoring software's that should be used with Ryzen.

I'm pretty sure everything between RM and HWMonitor line up for me. I've checked several times and quite often open RM just to confirm things.

RM and HWMonitor do report slightly different voltages, but the difference isn't dramatic at all.

If none of that was true, I wouldn't have had 85C where I normally have 65C, and my cooler wouldn't have been what alerted me to the issue. It was very clearly waaay over volted, and I did use RM to correct it.

But yeah, RM is the staple for readings.

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished

I just saw tat I typed 1.68 -- I meant 1.58 - was thinking 1.6 (rounded) but then added the stupid 8, not paying attention. so with that tiny offset in HWMonitor 1.55 could have been it.

Edit, Just rechecked HWMonitor vs Ryzen. All the exact same, except HWMonitor registers voltage adjustment under load due to LLC and RM doesn't seem to (which is where my "offset" was coming from).

Last edited:

yellowcardyc

Official Forum Representative
Jan 8, 2020
No worry about Ryzen 3600, especially you have airflow in your PC case. Ryzen 3600 doesn't generate heat like 3900X or 3950X does. Any X570 and mainstream B450 motherboards can manage it.