[SOLVED] AMD MSI Armor OC Rx470 4gb shutting off while gaming

nerzius

Prominent
Jan 11, 2021
Alright, so have ran in to a problem. Right now when not playing games, but just browsing internet it already hits 54 degrees, but when gaming around 70 . But when i jump in game after 10mins it just shuts off, everything other keeps going in the system, just the graphics card shuts off. Guy with better experience in changing GPU thermal paste changed it and i think the thermal pads as well. As it didnt help, i bought new Cooler Master Elite V3 600w PSU, it also didnt help, so im asking you guys, what could be possibly wrong? I have the newest AMD drivers and the fans are auto tuned by the AMD Driver Software.

P.S. I dont close my case, as it gets pretty hot, so i keep it open.

My specs:
I5-6500
H110M PRO-D
MSI Armor OC Rx470 4gb
8gb Ram (i dont remember the Mhz)
2 HDDs, 2T and one 1T
1 SSD, 500 Samsung
Cooler Master 600w Elite 3
Stock Intel Fan for CPU and Titan 700 case

Solution
I know it's not what you're going to want to hear, but that doesn't matter. If you want the truth, that's what I'm going to give you. If you don't want the truth, then I'm sorry but nobody can actually help you.

And the truth is, you're not going to get anything worth having for 50 euros. Not in a quality 550w or higher model. And most any unit out there that you can get in a 500w, 600w, 700w capacity is either going to be a unit that was manufactured a long time ago, or a piss poor cheap quality unit, in almost every case. These days, any quality platforms you can find are going to be like 450w, 550w, 650w, 750w, 850w, 1000w, 1200w.

So my advice would be, and again I know you're not going to want to hear it but I'm going to offer it...
That wasn't a great power supply, in fact, it was rather poor, even when it was new and that had to be quite a long time ago even if you somehow managed to purchase one recently that was "new old stock" that had been sitting on some shelf all this time.

Any idea how long that unit has ACTUALLY been in service? Not that it much matters, because it's highly probable that it's the root of your problem anyhow. While it's true that Cooler master has had some really good power supplies over the years, it's equally true that they've had some of the worst quality power supplies of any company that you'd actually know the name of as well.

DSzymborski

Titan
Yikes, someone must have been excited to clear that PSU from the back of the warehouse.

While something else could be going on, this is a problem that needs to be fixed. Basically, to justify using an old group-regulated PSU like this, you either need to have a non-gaming PC or it needs to be 1997.

Actually, the Elite v3 is an active PFC Forward topology design, but it is a low quality platform that lacks even 80plus designation, and I've seen a ton of these causing similar problems over the years. Plus, if it's got any miles on it at all, the low quality internals might well be even less capable than they already weren't in the beginning. Notice the use of the word "weren't", rather than were. LOL.

nerzius

Prominent
Jan 11, 2021
Actually, the Elite v3 is an active PFC Forward topology design, but it is a low quality platform that lacks even 80plus designation, and I've seen a ton of these causing similar problems over the years. Plus, if it's got any miles on it at all, the low quality internals might well be even less capable than they already weren't in the beginning. Notice the use of the word "weren't", rather than were. LOL.

As i bought it just a day ago new, you say I should just return it? The power supply really was new and atleast its beeter than my old Xsilence. So is it just bad PSU problem? Or there is smth about the GPU?

nerzius

Prominent
Jan 11, 2021
Maybe, maybe not. But you can't troubleshoot with a bad PSU. Before trouble shooting you need a decent and reliable PSU.

Thats a problem, as i dont have any really great PSUs, my friends also have some cheap ones. My budget for PSU is around 50 euros only.
Mby i should like install new BIOS on GPU?

As i bought it just a day ago new, you say I should just return it? The power supply really was new and atleast its beeter than my old Xsilence. So is it just bad PSU problem? Or there is smth about the GPU?
First I thought It's your Card... Have you monitored Temps while gaming? Is it old card... Cause sometimes you need to reapply thermal paste for these kind of issues....

And for power supply... that CM Elite v3 as above said... Is Dual Switch Forward Topology APFC power supply.. but not that great.. go for bettter PSU like Corsair CX450 or atleast Coolermaster MWE 450v2 Bronze (V2 is important... Cause MWE V1 is like same crap)

nerzius

Prominent
Jan 11, 2021
First I thought It's your Card... Have you monitored Temps while gaming? Is it old card... Cause sometimes you need to reapply thermal paste for these kind of issues....

And for power supply... that CM Elite v3 as above said... Is Dual Switch Forward Topology APFC power supply.. but not that great.. go for bettter PSU like Corsair CX450 or atleast Coolermaster MWE 450v2 Bronze (V2 is important... Cause MWE V1 is like same crap)

As I said earlier. the thermal paste has been changed 2 weeks ago. When browsing internet its about 54 degrees, but when I start a game - PC Building Simulator (great game for testing lol) last reading what I had was 69 degrees, then GPU turned off. Before thermal paste change it got to 93 degrees and turned off.

For the PSU - i want to get at least 500w, as i want to upgrade to more ram and better GPU (1070, rx570, rx580), but the problem is i got low budget right now. Around 50 euros max for PSU. I will probably return Cooler Master I just bought.

I know it's not what you're going to want to hear, but that doesn't matter. If you want the truth, that's what I'm going to give you. If you don't want the truth, then I'm sorry but nobody can actually help you.

And the truth is, you're not going to get anything worth having for 50 euros. Not in a quality 550w or higher model. And most any unit out there that you can get in a 500w, 600w, 700w capacity is either going to be a unit that was manufactured a long time ago, or a piss poor cheap quality unit, in almost every case. These days, any quality platforms you can find are going to be like 450w, 550w, 650w, 750w, 850w, 1000w, 1200w.

So my advice would be, and again I know you're not going to want to hear it but I'm going to offer it anyhow, save some more money and get a good unit so that you only have to do it ONCE and then don't have to do it again for a long time.

Before you buy ANY unit, look for PROFESSIONAL reviews of that unit by a reputable reviewer. Not some two bit Youtuber or what a bunch of morons on Amazon said. Professional reviewers, from sites like Tom's hardware, JonnyGury, Techspot, Tweaktown, TechPowerUp, etc.

If you can't find a review then come here and ask about the unit before you buy it, and be prepared to hear a lot of "nope, that's a piece of junk" before you get to one that gets a "yes, that's a good unit", because that's almost always what happens because people want to replace crappy units with other crappy units, because they are cheap. And being cheap is EXACTLY the problem to begin with for most these cases. As mentioned, even if this isn't the exact problem, which there is a good chance it is, there is little chance of actually FINDING the actual problem without a quality, reliable power supply in use.

Solution
As I said earlier. the thermal paste has been changed 2 weeks ago. When browsing internet its about 54 degrees, but when I start a game - PC Building Simulator (great game for testing lol) last reading what I had was 69 degrees, then GPU turned off. Before thermal paste change it got to 93 degrees and turned off.

For the PSU - i want to get at least 500w, as i want to upgrade to more ram and better GPU (1070, rx570, rx580), but the problem is i got low budget right now. Around 50 euros max for PSU. I will probably return Cooler Master I just bought.
At 50euros I can only recommend Coolermaster MWE 550v2 bronze..

nerzius

Prominent
Jan 11, 2021

So my advice would be, and again I know you're not going to want to hear it but I'm going to offer it anyhow, save some more money and get a good unit so that you only have to do it ONCE and then don't have to do it again for a long time.

Before you buy ANY unit, look for PROFESSIONAL reviews of that unit by a reputable reviewer. Not some two bit Youtuber or what a bunch of morons on Amazon said. Professional reviewers, from sites like Tom's hardware, JonnyGury, Techspot, Tweaktown, TechPowerUp, etc.

If you can't find a review then come here and ask about the unit before you buy it, and be prepared to hear a lot of "nope, that's a piece of junk" before you get to one that gets a "yes, that's a good unit", because that's almost always what happens because people want to replace crappy units with other crappy units, because they are cheap. And being cheap is EXACTLY the problem to begin with for most these cases. As mentioned, even if this isn't the exact problem, which there is a good chance it is, there is little chance of actually FINDING the actual problem without a quality, reliable power supply in use.

I think its not the PSU, I tightened the GPU cooler screws a little bit and it ran for around 30 minutes fine, till I hit about 78 degrees. Then it turned off again.