AMD (Mustang,Palomino,Morgan)

G

I have read from different sites that the AMD Palomino will be out in the market at Q2 2001. I think it will be available at a starting clock-speed of 1.5Ghz as what was written in various sites. When this comes out, Intel would have to worry!

I have a few questions to ask to anyone out there who knows:

(1) Is this new processor inluding the Mustang and Morgan compatible with socket A mobos like the ASUS A7V? Does it support DDR?
(2) How much would the inital Palomino cost (an estimate is ok)? how about the Mustang? Morgan?
(3) When will it be available in the international market? Is it also in Q2 2001?
(4) Where can I find specs about this (if any)?

If there are anyone out there who could help me with this, I will surely appreciate it.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm here to answer your questions.

1. nope, maybe
2. you can't afford it, forget about it.
3. who knows, maybe Grizley1 knows!
4. http://www.amd.com/

well, I've tried my best to um, help ya.

G

In reply to:
I'm here to answer your questions.

1. nope, maybe
2. you can't afford it, forget about it.
3. who knows, maybe Grizley1 knows!
4. http://www.amd.com/

well, I've tried my best to um, help ya.

-------------------------------------------------------
I'm back to reply to your answers.

Thanks for your answers. However, where did you get your assumptions? In your answer to question 2, how did you know that I can't afford it? I mean give some figures and I will tell you if I can or can't afford a Palomino or Mustang. But thanks anyway. No offence, just give me a reference or basis on your answers and maybe I will take tham into consideration.

G

Zagato, I would suggest that you view AMDMLETDOWNs posts with a bit of humour.

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The Mustang got the axe. AMD decided to go with with the dual Palomino to fill the Mustang gap.

From everyting I've read the Palomino will work in any Socket A motherboard, but not to its full potential. In current KT133 mobos it will be limited to a 100Mhz FSB, which means the multiplier will have to be changed to make it run at its rated clock speed. A KT133A or AMD760 board should realize the full potential of the palomino (especially the AMD760 boards).

I'd imagine the Palomino to cost about what the T-Bird cost when it was released. $350-400? That's just a guess though.

Availability depends a great deal on production. If AMD can ramp up production very quickly then I see no problems with international availability.

Check out Tom's articles on the AMD roadmap for more info.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
1. I think so, but it will be greatly depreciated performance wise. DDR will be it's main memory, like P4 and rambus.
2. Well, I don't know. Probably $300-400, MUCH less than the P4.
3. Not sure. Have to search for that one
4. www.amd.com, and some in AMD's Roadmap

G

Oh! Ok. Sorry about that. Please accept my apologies AMDMeltdown.

G

I see.

KT133A will realize the full potential of the Palomino? Do you know any motherboards with KT133A? I heard ASUS has but I do not know which model.

I take it that if you say AMD760 board it means that AMD are creating this motherboards? Am I not mistaken about this?

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
ASUS' KT133A board is called, well, the A7V133.

When we refer to AMD760 board, we are refering to any motherboard with the AMD760 chipset. It's not a board itself. AMD doesn't make motherboards, except for reference boards for thier new chipsets........ Back onto KT133A.... it sucks. No big deal, all it does it pump the FSB up to 133MHz, there is no support for DDR memory.

G

Hmmmm...

So it just pumps up the FSB and no support for DDR memory. Yeah, it sucks. Are there any other motherboards out there that would use the full potential of the Palomino and at the same time support DDR?

G

I have just read an article from this site about motherboards. It is <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q1/010104/index.html" target="_new">"The Three Musketeers - Athlon Platforms For 133 MHz FSB"</A>. I guess they are not out in the international market yet so we have to settle with other motherboards even for a Palomino.

At the end of the article, Tom mentioned the upcoming VIA KT266 chipset which will support DDR memory. Still, I guess it will be a long wait. :frown:

I wonder if it is worth the wait. I wonder if this VIA KT266 chipset would bring out the best in the AMD Palomino. Furthermore, which motherboard would use the VIA KT266? My guess is that ASUS would use the VIA KT266 since they are currently using the VIA KT133A for their A7V133. Maybe they will call it the ASUS A7V266.

Well it's just my speculation. :wink:

G

I was wrong in my previous post. I said there that it is A7V266 but actually it is the A7M266. I found it in the <A HREF="http://www.asus.com.tw/whatsnew/whatsnew2010.html" target="_new">What's New at ASUS</A> and they will start shipping in quantity by Q4 2000. I guess it is out in the market by now. It consists of AMD-761 North Bridge and VIA VT82C686B South Bridge.

Sorry about my previous posts. It's just now that I've learned of this.

So, does anyone have the A7M266 already? How was it? Have you any trouble getting it to work?

<b>I wish Tom would do a review on the A7M266.</b>

Hmmm. I wonder if brings out the best in the upcoming Palomino.

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The A7M266 was <b>scheduled</b> to be out last month, but the latest timeline says it won't be available until the end of January or early February. I plan to get one as soon as it's available.

G

There are rumors that AMD are experimenting with a new slicon process which only requires a passive heatsink at 1.5GHz - this could be used for Palamino if they get it perfected, quick! This of course means you could clock the processor up *huge* amounts with a decent cooling system. Plus, it'd be great for portables.

G

The international market thing, my guess is a month or six weeks after it is widely available in the US! If the processor is launched but impossible to find for a few weeks in the US, expect to wait four to six weeks after that. Well maybe I should be a little more clear, expect to wait that long if you live about 90min North of the US border. (There's a little geography lesson for you 'a')

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I live 45 min north of the US border, but I'm more southern that New York!!! Confused?...... Get a map!

In my opinion I live in the best place in the world. The summers are BEAUTIFUL, perfect for swimming on the perfect beaches, bike riding, cruisin' in my 66' Cobra, among many other things. Winter is also mild, though some years we get lots of snow.

But hell this isn't the Weather channel....

G

Grizely1 Your a regular TOM Bombadil Living in the land he calls his own.

G

Well maybe I should be a little more clear, expect to wait that long if you live about 90min North of the US border. (There's a little geography lesson for you 'a')
Man! I live much farther than 90min North of the US border. I live in the Asian countries so I live a thousand miles away from the US! Geez. This means I would wait like forever for the new stuff.Bummer. :frown: