AMD nabs 20.9% processor market share

enigma067

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007
AMD nabs 20.9% processor market share
Justin Robinson

May 6, 2009 10:32 AM

Seems the economy is giving AMD a much-needed helping hand.

AMD have been struggling of late, caught in the middle of the road in performance and nowhere near Intel's Nehalem (not to mention lawsuits), relying on their Phenom II architecture to pull them through.

Good news abounds on the horizon however, as AMD have shown a significant improvement in market share compared to the Big Blue.

Q4 of 2008 had AMD's market share pinned at only 17%, but a jump has been shown in the last three months of Q1 2009 that brought the total up to 20.9%.

While this is being attributed to stock-clearance sales, one top mobo manufacturer is apparently making boards at a 3:7 ratio of AMD to Intel, a great sign that AMD might be back on the upswing thanks to ailing economic situations worldwide.

Head over to Tech Report for a little more, and cross your fingers that we get some competition going again between the two rivals - so we can get even cheaper tech in the long run.

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/News/144245,amd-nabs-209-processor-market-share.aspx

cybot_x1024

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008
i cant wait for this two companies to be neck n neck with each other. remember when nvidia released their high end geforce 8 series cards afew years ago, they were unbelievably expensive. Now after ATI pulling up their socks we have decent gpus at extremely low prices.
I hope the situation plays out the same way, actually i hope intel is caught pants down on this one. Then it will be core i7 for the masses.

the last resort

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
i too like this news. im glad AMD is making a (slight) comeback in marketshare. In the end, it should be good for the consumer, since AMD (should) be profitable and could do more R&D, and Intel will have to drop prices so people will buy their products.

Win-Win situation hopefully.

gomi

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
They really need to grab a bigger market share though if they want to return to profitability, the mid to low range should be filled with AMD based systems but for some reason the majority of the systems are still Intel.

randomizer

Champion

OEMs love Intel.

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
Yep. But most system builders prefer AMD. Sorta. Except high end users.

While for the high end users as well as brand name users, Intel is it.

This is good news at least. AMD still has a market to serve. =)

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Except that most reports also omit the fact that this quarter's figures are based on inventory adjustments, which as Mercury Research pointed out, did not reflect accurate percentage of market shares.

But I'm just an Intel shill. What do I know? :sarcastic:

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
I think that I'm going to build a new Phenom II X4 955 system with my economic stimulus check to help AMD out a little bit although I was tempted to go the Core i7 920 route.I don't do lots of video editing anyways.