aryothepersian

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
1. i like to know when exactly AMD is going to launch its new 45nm processors??

and

2. im going to build a new system (generally for gaming) and i ALWAYS LOVED to have an AMD processor!

BUT i believe (at least for now) i have to choose between intel e8600 or q9450 processors (+ Gigabyte ep35-ds4p35 mobo, asus hd4870, 2x2gb corsair ddr2-1066.....)

do u think that AMD's new processors are going to make a huge difference??
do u think that i should wait til that day?!! :bounce:

(and i have to say that im not going to oc anything!! :D )

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
1. Noone knows 'exactly' likely sometime late this year, but as I said, who knows...

2. If your not gonna OC, it might be worth the wait, but the best performer is going to be the Intel chips at equal speeds.

^What he said. But there has been no date released by AMD of when and to tell you the truth so far it seems that Deneb (AMDs 45nm part) is putting it on par with Kentsfield (Q6XXX) and still a bit behind Yorkfield (Q9X50)

So in gaming terms the E8600 will be your best bet since it will OC higher. A quad is only good if you want to have the machine for say 2-3 years.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
So far it looks like 45nm Deneb will be worthwhile only if it is overclocked or the builder realizes that he is building a budget quad core system.Faster Denebs will most likely come out though and this may change the situation.

However there is rumor of a Dual CPU motherboard enthusiast Deneb system and if it come to fruition that it's true, a possibility stands that one could build a system with 2 -$250 or so Denebs and a $300 or so Dual CPU motherboard and be able to possibly have a more powerful system than the upcoming high end $999 3.2 Ghz Intel Nehalem CPU and its $300 or so motherboard.

But this is still very much a rumor so far and I wouldn't count on it.
Still we could be surprised.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Yes I think that it would be the only thing that would capture a large marketshare of the performance enthusiast crowd or those desiring a super high end system for a very inexpensive price.Considering the low TDP of the Deneb (Phenom FX) it seems quite possible that this rumor could be true.
I too would rather spend only $500 on 2 CPU's than $999 on one high end CPU.
However one would have to have 2 performance heat sinks on the system.

I think that such a system would be AMD's only real chance at doing extremely well against Intel other than its good performing graphics card business.