Question AMD new system

reed hingst

Prominent
May 30, 2019
Im a 16 year old boy that is looking to build his first build. My friend and I have a budget of $800. my parts list so far is, is there any advice?

Last edited:

reed hingst

Prominent
May 30, 2019
Spend a little less and get a B450 motherboard and take that savings and buy some 3000 or 3200mhz RAM. Oh, and make absolutely sure you get a better power supply.

If that takes you out of budget, I'd still drop to a B450 board and get a better power supply.
Cant thank you enough for repsomding and I need a wireless set up my routor isn't available for a lan.

Here are some updates for your system
This is faster in gaming and general performance - never cheap out on the Power Supply - it's what makes everything work!

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($145.78 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - X470 Master SLI/AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($76.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel - 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($62.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - RE 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.73 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake - Versa N24 ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - B3 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.32 @ OutletPC)
Total: $813.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-31 10:32 EDT-0400

g-unit1111

Titan
Now's not the best time to build a PC. On July 7th AMD is going to be pushing price/performance a good deal higher.

Yeah that might be a good idea but the X factor there is how much the motherboards are going to cost. I've seen most of the X570 boards that are going to be available, but right now NOTHING is known about B550 which would be better suited for this budget. Apparently mainstream Ryzen 3 boards might not be available for another year at best if this article is accurate:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-asmedia-chipset-pcie-4

Hopefully we will see some details but we could be waiting a lot longer for that.

That OP build is decent but I would sub an RX590 for a GTX 1660TI, and that PSU is dumpster fire quality.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($116.48 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($67.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($42.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB XC GAMING Video Card ($269.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks - P300 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $937.41
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-31 12:19 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($116.48 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($67.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($42.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB XC GAMING Video Card ($269.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks - P300 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $937.41
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-31 12:19 EDT-0400

You are now 20% over his budget - he only has $800

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Saving up a bit more makes sense given there's a new generation; even if he doesn't go for a new Ryzen, it'll increase the downward pressure on older parts. Since the PSU absolutely needs to be replaced with something appropriate anyway, he'll already need to increase his budget by a bit.

Apparently mainstream Ryzen 3 boards might not be available for another year at best if this article is accurate:
"A year at best" seems quite unlikely. By that point AMD should be getting ready to launch their next generation of processors. : P

B350 boards were available around the launch of first gen Ryzen and B450 boards came out within a few months of the second gen processors. So, I would expect B550 to also be out within a few months of Ryzen 3000's launch, if not earlier. Even that article suggests that could be the case.

Those mid-range boards will probably just lack full PCIe 4.0 support. They'll still undoubtedly get access to PCIe 4.0 on the slots connected to the CPU, but the other lanes powered by the chipset will only offer the bandwidth of PCIe 3.0. It should be the same as how some existing motherboards are getting BIOS updates to enable PCIe 4.0 on certain slots when paired with a 3000-series processor. PCIe 4.0 is an enthusiast feature at this point that likely won't provide much benefit to most people for at least a few years, so only including full support for it on all slots of the higher-end boards makes sense.

Of course, Ryzen 3000 would certainly cost more at launch. The 3600 is set to launch for $200, while the 2600 can currently be had for under $150. So you would be paying around 35% more for a CPU that will likely offer somewhere around 20% more performance per core. That's arguably a reasonable trade-off, but for a gaming system in this price range, it might also be worth putting that money toward graphics hardware instead, unless one is seeking optimal performance on a high refresh rate screen.

As for the graphics card, I wouldn't pay $220 for an RX 590 when a GTX 1660 can be had for the same price. A 1660 should be a little faster on average, while drawing far less power and in turn outputting less heat. And the 1660 Ti will be faster still. AMD will be launching new, more efficient graphics cards soon as well, though it's still unknown what prices of the initial models will be like, and whether any might fall into this price range.

g-unit1111

Titan
"A year at best" seems quite unlikely. By that point AMD should be getting ready to launch their next generation of processors. : P

B350 boards were available around the launch of first gen Ryzen and B450 boards came out within a few months of the second gen processors. So, I would expect B550 to also be out within a few months of Ryzen 3000's launch, if not earlier. Even that article suggests that could be the case.

It's funny I've been trying to search Google for information on B550 boards and I've found next to nothing. I've found plenty of information on X570 on the other hand.

Those mid-range boards will probably just lack full PCIe 4.0 support. They'll still undoubtedly get access to PCIe 4.0 on the slots connected to the CPU, but the other lanes powered by the chipset will only offer the bandwidth of PCIe 3.0. It should be the same as how some existing motherboards are getting BIOS updates to enable PCIe 4.0 on certain slots when paired with a 3000-series processor. PCIe 4.0 is an enthusiast feature at this point that likely won't provide much benefit to most people for at least a few years, so only including full support for it on all slots of the higher-end boards makes sense.

Is that going to be a huge draw though? I can't imagine too many GPU manufacturers are going to jump on the PCI-e 4.0 bandwagon if it's not going to be fully native on mainstream boards.

Of course, Ryzen 3000 would certainly cost more at launch. The 3600 is set to launch for $200, while the 2600 can currently be had for under $150. So you would be paying around 35% more for a CPU that will likely offer somewhere around 20% more performance per core. That's arguably a reasonable trade-off, but for a gaming system in this price range, it might also be worth putting that money toward graphics hardware instead, unless one is seeking optimal performance on a high refresh rate screen.

I think what would seal the deal there would be the performance difference between the CPUs. If the performance difference is worth the extra $50 then by all means go for it. But if it's 35% more cost for not a lot of performance difference between the 2600 and the 3600 I can't see too many people who are building sub-$1000 machines wanting to pay the extra cost.

As for the graphics card, I wouldn't pay $220 for an RX 590 when a GTX 1660 can be had for the same price. A 1660 should be a little faster on average, while drawing far less power and in turn outputting less heat. And the 1660 Ti will be faster still. AMD will be launching new, more efficient graphics cards soon as well, though it's still unknown what prices of the initial models will be like, and whether any might fall into this price range.

I agree. AMD may be killing it with their CPUs right now, but there's no way I would buy one of their GPUs. They've got a lot to build on in order to compete with NVIDIA there again. I'd definitely go for a 1660TI over an RX590 right now.

It's funny I've been trying to search Google for information on B550 boards and I've found next to nothing. I've found plenty of information on X570 on the other hand.
I think that's because AMD hasn't really said much about B550 yet, and it's probably not coming right at launch, whereas X570 boards should be available for purchase within the coming weeks. B550 will probably come out within a few months of X570 though. The lack of B550 immediately at launch could affect the value proposition a bit for those wanting to build a more budget-oriented Ryzen 3000 system this summer, though it's very possible that we may see some lower-end X570 boards for not much more than $100.

Is that going to be a huge draw though? I can't imagine too many GPU manufacturers are going to jump on the PCI-e 4.0 bandwagon if it's not going to be fully native on mainstream boards.
Again, the graphics card slot will be connected to the CPU's PCIe 4.0 lanes, so it will almost certainly get 4.0 support. Probably an NVMe slot will as well. Just the other slots that are reliant on the motherboard's chipset might not.

And either way, it shouldn't really matter all that much. As far as graphics cards are concerned, only the highest-end models are beginning to see any notable performance limitation from even PCIe 2.0 x16 or 3.0 x8, and 3.0 x16 will likely be able to handle the highest-end cards just fine for years to come. And of course, PCIe standards tend to be both backward and forward compatible, so a 4.0 graphics card should run just fine on a 3.0 interface. Even if it doesn't have any notable impact on performance, you can be sure graphics card manufactures will want to advertise their cards as offering 4.0 support.

Fast 4.0 NVMe drives could show some immediate performance benefits though. The additional bandwidth isn't likely to help performance much in most common tasks, but it will be there for those tasks that can utilize it. Most other kinds of add-in cards probably won't see much benefit from PCIe 4.0 though.

AMD may be killing it with their CPUs right now, but there's no way I would buy one of their GPUs. They've got a lot to build on in order to compete with NVIDIA there again.
In the sub-$200 range they have been doing fairly well. The RX 580, 570 and 560 are all offering rather good value right now compared to the competition, even if their power draw is somewhat higher for a given level of performance. Anything above that I would agree with though. Vega's need for expensive HBM2 memory prevents it from being as competitive in terms of pricing, and the design of its architecture doesn't scale well, limiting maximum performance levels of higher-end parts. And the RX 590 is essentially just a higher-clocked 580 that doesn't perform all that favorably against the similarly priced and lower-power 1660. AMD's new Navi cards should also be launching next month though, and will hopefully bring some better competition to at least the upper-mid range segment.

junglist724

Honorable
Apr 10, 2017
Yeah that might be a good idea but the X factor there is how much the motherboards are going to cost. I've seen most of the X570 boards that are going to be available, but right now NOTHING is known about B550 which would be better suited for this budget. Apparently mainstream Ryzen 3 boards might not be available for another year at best if this article is accurate:

There's always the option of getting a previous gen motherboard and asking AMD for a bootkit to update BIOS. Come 7/7 prices of previous gen CPUs will drop as well.

reed hingst

Prominent
May 30, 2019
I’m a first time builder with a 800-900 max budget and I have recently watch a cpu video where for the $60 upgrade it’s not really worth to build with 3600 over a 2600 so what would u guys recommend? And would that $60 be better spent on a gpu

Last edited:

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I hate to tell you this BUT ALL the current BIOS versions for the 3000 Series CPUs on every X470 and B450 MB from every manufacturer seems to be Very buggy and are only working for some people and even those that are working tend to have some issues.
My advice is to wait a month or even 2 and see which MB's get stable BIOS updates for their X470 and B450 MB's before you buy.
OR
You can buy that MB and a Ryzen 5 2600 and use an older BIOS that s optimized for the 2000 series CPU's (with AGESA 1.0.0.6) and then upgrade to a 3700x or even 3800x next year or so.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2
I hate to tell you this BUT ALL the current BIOS versions for the 3000 Series CPUs on every X470 and B450 MB ...

And X570 boards too, this is just like any other brand-new architecture launch even if it is tagged 'Gen 3'. That always makes for a lot of headaches for early adopters.

The most recent example was 'Gen 1' Ryzen launch which was even more hectic until the BIOS and AGESA code got sorted.

Last edited:

reed hingst

Prominent
May 30, 2019
I hate to tell you this BUT ALL the current BIOS versions for the 3000 Series CPUs on every X470 and B450 MB from every manufacturer seems to be Very buggy and are only working for some people and even those that are working tend to have some issues.
My advice is to wait a month or even 2 and see which MB's get stable BIOS updates for their X470 and B450 MB's before you buy.
OR
You can buy that MB and a Ryzen 5 2600 and use an older BIOS that s optimized for the 2000 series CPU's (with AGESA 1.0.0.6) and then upgrade to a 3700x or even 3800x next year or so.
Would u recommend any changes to my parts list?

Go for something along these lines and you won't regret it.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($139.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B450M PRO-M2 V2 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA - Ultimate SU650 960 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Black Video Card ($449.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($42.00 @ B&H)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $888.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-14 15:39 EDT-0400

TRENDING THREADS