Question AMD "No graphics driver is installed" as well as code 12 on my gpu

Sep 6, 2019
I recently got an eGPU and decided to go with a Radeon RX 5700 XT. I've downloaded and re-downloaded the drivers for this graphics card for about two hours. I always get "No AMD graphics driver is installed" when I try to open the Radeon Settings. In addition, the card also throws a code 12 in Device Manager (but I think that is driver related). Any feedback would be much appreciated.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
While I am not sure if the issue, or not, I am concerned that the included 400w PSU can provide ample power to the 5700 XT (when used in a PC, AMD recommends a 650w PSU, and even that should be a quality model).

Do you have access to another GPU to install in your eGPU box to see if it is recognized properly?

Sep 6, 2019
While I am not sure if the issue, or not, I am concerned that the included 400w PSU can provide ample power to the 5700 XT (when used in a PC, AMD recommends a 650w PSU, and even that should be a quality model).

Do you have access to another GPU to install in your eGPU box to see if it is recognized properly?

Unfortunately, I do not have a spare card. I think that would be a good test and sourcing one shouldn't be that hard.

As for the power issue, the power supply can be swapped out easily. I just wanted to see if everything worked before I tore into it.

I think the issue is all driver related. Device Manager recognizes the card by name whereas before I downloaded the driver it only recognized it as a USB device.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Unfortunately, I do not have a spare card. I think that would be a good test and sourcing one shouldn't be that hard.

As for the power issue, the power supply can be swapped out easily. I just wanted to see if everything worked before I tore into it.

I think the issue is all driver related. Device Manager recognizes the card by name whereas before I downloaded the driver it only recognized it as a USB device.
Understood. The 5700 XT is a new device and one that consumes a lot of juice. A known working, lower power requiring GPU would be great to swap in to attempt to isolate the issue.

Does an unknown video device show up in Device Manager at all? Or does it "see" the 5700 XT but throws the error mentioned earlier?

Sep 6, 2019
Understood. The 5700 XT is a new device and one that consumes a lot of juice. A known working, lower power requiring GPU would be great to swap in to attempt to isolate the issue.

Does an unknown video device show up in Device Manager at all? Or does it "see" the 5700 XT but throws the error mentioned earlier?

Before I initially downloaded the AMD drivers it saw an unknown video device. After I downloaded them it sees the 5700 but throws a code 12.

PS This might be a long shot but I'm going to update my windows and see if that has any effect.

TRENDING THREADS