AMD Northbridge error (HyperTransport Watchdog Timeout)

vittau

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Sometimes my computer will randomly freeze, the screen goes black or messed up with colored stripes, and then reboots by itself. Event log says this:

[fixed]A fatal hardware error has occurred.
Component: AMD Northbridge
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: HyperTransport Watchdog Timeout Error[/fixed]

It usually happens soon after the computer was turned on (sometimes even inside the BIOS Setup). After this period passes, it can stay up for hours and hours without problems (though it has crashed after several hours too). I am not overclocking, though I have tried to OC my graphics card (from 700/1150 to 800/1300) just to test it's stability, and had no problems with this.

Here are some of the facts I considered important to the case:

■When the crash happens inside the BIOS Setup, the VGA fan goes 100% for a few moments.
■One time I was listening to music, and the music kept on playing for a few seconds after the screen went black, and then it rebooted.
■Ran memtest for ~2h without problems.
■Ran Prime95 and FurMark for a few minutes. I didn't let the tests go for hours because it seems unnecessary (most of the crashes happened while idling anyway).
■My PSU is an OCZ500SXS, should be more than enough.
■Tried increasing the NB and HT voltages a bit, didn't help.
■BIOS, drivers and OS are updated.

So, does anyone have any ideas? :??:

Thanks.

ASUS M4A785TD-M Evo, AthlonII X4 620, Sapphire HD5750 1GB, 2x 2GB Kingston 1333MHz DDR3, Windows 7 x64 PRO SP1

Tristan_72

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
This might be a little late, but I was having the same issue. I ended up finding an article about the ATK0110 ACPI Utility. I went and updated Windows with the one on my motherboard manufacturers website. The one Windows installed was from 2004 and the one on the website was from 2009.
So far I have been running a few days without any issues. I went from having lock ups every hour or so to not having any problems.

My motherboard is an Asus - M4N72-E

treaken

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015
x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x .

SOLVED ok I had same issue felt my northbridge felt warm but my video card felt hot to so I installed extreme tunner hd turns out idle my video card was running at 85c and well over 100c trying to play game or watch video thus causing the crash so I took it apart thermal paste dried removed it put new on boom runs at 40c idle no more error

treaken

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015

all you had to do was add new thermal paste