[SOLVED] AMD, not again.........?!

Solution
What do you guys think about that?
It sounds pretty rare and mostly affecting people using VR headsets. Reverting PCIe to Gen3-only seems to fix their problems so it's affecting X570 and/or B550. If it is affecting X470/B450 disabling Gen 4 is a zero loss action, but even on 500 series Gen 4 hasn't proven to offer any significant performance uplift.

AMD's looking into it. I expect there will be something in the near future; either chipset driver update or AGESA/BIOS update.

The bottom line is it seems a tempest in a teapot to me. But haters are gonna hate so I expect a lot of nonsense to filter through the fog.
Agree with Djoza. Such things are unfortunate, of course, but can happen at launch of new product (chipset in this case, as it seems). It's good AMD is investigating the case, so we don't blame the "usual suspect" (Windows) or user settings.
I think there's no need to blow up this issue out of proportion ("AMD, not again..?"), which usually leads to pointless AMD-Intel fight.

Reactions: Dj0gany
It sounds pretty rare and mostly affecting people using VR headsets. Reverting PCIe to Gen3-only seems to fix their problems so it's affecting X570 and/or B550. If it is affecting X470/B450 disabling Gen 4 is a zero loss action, but even on 500 series Gen 4 hasn't proven to offer any significant performance uplift.

AMD's looking into it. I expect there will be something in the near future; either chipset driver update or AGESA/BIOS update.

The bottom line is it seems a tempest in a teapot to me. But haters are gonna hate so I expect a lot of nonsense to filter through the fog.

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 25, 2021
As I am in the midst of a platform change to AMD, I am both immersed and worried about this situation.
I've already purchased a Ryzen 5- 5600X, and have an X570 Mobo set aside at the shop, so I am feeling some apprehension about all of this.
My hope is that since my interest is only in gaming, and the only extraneous perifs I use is a joystick & throttle (aside from KB/mouse), I will be okay.

Reactions: Dj0gany
As I am in the midst of a platform change to AMD, I am both immersed and worried about this situation.
I've already purchased a Ryzen 5- 5600X, and have an X570 Mobo set aside at the shop, so I am feeling some apprehension about all of this.
My hope is that since my interest is only in gaming, and the only extraneous perifs I use is a joystick & throttle (aside from KB/mouse), I will be okay.
You are all good.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
I really think there's nothing to get worried about. It's pretty rare but if the problem should rear itself disable PCIe gen 4 (revert to gen 3) in the BIOS until AMD comes out with a fix. Keep aware of chipset driver and BIOS updates to be sure to pick it up.

And don't fret losing gen 4 in the interim as it's never been shown to provide any significant performance benefit in actual useage. Only highly artificial synthetic benchmarks like the one in 3DMark show it's effect.

What do you mean by "not again?" This is your very first post on the site (at least using this account), and you signed up specifically to link to an article that already has its own integrated discussion thread here, without adding anything whatsoever to the conversation.

I get the distinct impression that this is a troll post.

Reactions: CountMike