AMD + NVIDIA / crossfire amd

paulofuertes

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
Hello,

I have a three questions. Ive been trying to search the internet for answers but the answers I read are like, not 'complete' or not the answer Im looking for:

- What would happen if I add an AMD card with a NVIDIA? I currently have a R9 270 but I also like some of the things that NVIDIA offers (physx). (driver errors? compatibility? crashes/ random black screens or "No signal" monitor?)

- What happens if I add another R9 270 (CrossFire)? I read the memory wont stack (to 4gb), but will I get an improvement in maybe FPS? Let's say that I currently have 20 FPS in "X" game, after installing another card (CF) will I get, I dont know, maybe 30 FPS?

- Same question as above, but with the R9 270 and a NVIDIA, (instead of 2x r9 270.)

Regards!

Solution

You could get a 970 as a nice upgrade for around $350, or you could get a 780ti for around 400$ and still get almost all the features and gaming performance of a 970. The 780ti is also even getting cheaper, it may sell for around the price of the 970 in a few weeks.

Iankiller99

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
As i'm interpreting it you want to know whether you can have an nvidia card and an amd card work together at the same time sort of like crossfire or sli, well... you cant.

Next, you would get an improvement in fps in games but honestly maybe consider upgrading to a newer gpu instead of going the crossfire route, you will see more fps gain and better performance at higher resolutions.
Also its not a good idea to crossfire two low end cards compared to getting one higher end one.

If you want suggestions on what to upgrade to or what benefits certain cards/configurations are i'd be happy to help.
Firstly if you are looking to upgrade I would ask you what your current specs are and what games you would like to play at what quality, and what else (if any) things you use your computer for besides gaming. Hope I answered your questions.

paulofuertes

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
Currently I have:

-MSI Z97 Gaming 7
-i5 4590 @3.3ghz-3.7ghz
-32GB @1600mhz
-120SDD
-3TB HDD
-Gigabyte R9 270 OC
-Power Supply: 750w

I am more focused on trying to upgrade my graphic card, playing at about very high- ultra. What would you recommend?

Regards

Iankiller99

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014

You could get a 970 as a nice upgrade for around $350, or you could get a 780ti for around 400$ and still get almost all the features and gaming performance of a 970. The 780ti is also even getting cheaper, it may sell for around the price of the 970 in a few weeks.

Solution