News AMD, Nvidia GPU Prices Continue Downward Turn

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
2-year old GPUs are still too expensive at 10-16% off MSRPs. 25% seems more appropriate at this point.

I'm also not seeing a significant number of PC games that demand high performance graphics hardware. Indie and small developers have been coming up with a lot of great content. There's been a pivot to gameplay, mechanics, story, and AI lately. The big AAA studios have struggled to finish and release good games outside of the console space.

Awev

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020
90% of MSRP means something like 90% of $100 = $90. 90% off MSRP means $100 - 90% = 100 - 90 = $10. Same thing with 90% below MSRP - that suggests 90% less than MSRP. Big difference. Kind of like when they got their decimals and commas wrong in the Intel article about market share and profitability. Click baiting it is.

InvalidError

Titan
2-year old GPUs are still too expensive at 10-16% off MSRPs. 25% seems more appropriate at this point.
The MSRPs were already beyond insanity back at launch IMO, little more than the byproduct of a transient demand surge in the middle of an already existing chip shortage situation magnified by COVID. I'm looking forward to market correction with ETH GPU-mining possibly going away next month to make things even worse for greedy AMVidia. We may get to see what gamers are actually willing to pay for GPUs when supply isn't limited by chip shortages, planetary scale supply chain disruption, crypto, out of control scalpers, arbitrary gouging and other similar factors.

I'm somewhat hoping we'll see a drop on the RTX 3060/Ti and RX 6600/6650 XT in the next couple of months in the UK (mainly because I want to replace my GTX 970, and we haven't really seen any sign of drops anywhere in the nVidia range here, yet)

Indie and small developers have been coming up with a lot of great content. There's been a pivot to gameplay, mechanics, story, and AI lately.
Agreed. :) Although I have high hopes for STALKER 2 next year (mainly because I really enjoyed the first 3 games in the series!)...

Reactions: bigdragon
Aug 23, 2022
lower-end options, such as the GeForce RTX 3060 Ti, have risen in price, with 3D Center’s figures showing a five percent boost.

This is the true bit of news. The GPUs we could potentially afford are STILL too expensive for what they are and their price is RISING, as it's the only market segment that has a shred of demand.

Sorry for the error, it was not an intentionally misleading headline, just a simple error. And most of the team had yesterday off so it slipped past. Anyway, it reminds me of the time I went to Tijuana, and there were a bunch of stalls yelling, "Special deal! 100% off!" My dad goes up to the guy and says, "100 percent off? In that case, I'll take the whole store!" At which point the guy goes cross-eyed and can't figure out the problem. LOL. But the headline has been updated.

Reactions: JimboCA

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
My dad goes up to the guy and says, "100 percent off? In that case, I'll take the whole store!" At which point the guy goes cross-eyed and can't figure out the problem. LOL. But the headline has been updated.
Reminds me of why I hate Kohls. Family members used to say "it's 70% off and I have a 30% off coupon" thinking they're going to get something for free. That's not how that works! That promotion would still bring people in who were too embarrassed at checkout to not pay up.

D

Deleted member 2783327

I don't know if waiting for the rtx40 series launch is a good time to buy a rtx 30 series card.
Retailers jack up the prices of the previous gen rather than drop them to clear stocks. The new rtx40 series will probably be at an inflated premium giving retailers room to up the 30 series prices. At least it works that way here.

Jul 20, 2022
I'd love to upgrade my RTX2060 Super. However, the prices are insane. I hope the RTX 40 series brings prices down for the 30 series. Either way, I'd like to keep the GPU budget to under $400 US if possible :)

Giroro

Splendid
I think it is unhelpful to look at the average of all card prices right now. It's all being thrown off by "unobtainable" $2000+ RTX 3090 Ti's being marked down to "nearly equally unobtainable" $1300 prices. Personally, I would argue that the 3090 Ti was not really a gaming GPU, in the first place.

For most people, we care that the cheapest RTX 3050 is 23% over it's way-too-high MSRP, cheapest RTX 3060 is still $370 (12% over) and the 3070 is 18% over.
And that's just the recent cards. GTX 1650/1660 cards are all still over MSRP. Even the 5 year old "terrible at everything" GT 1030 is 56% over its $80 launch price.

Awev

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020
Reminds me of why I hate Kohls. Family members used to say "it's 70% off and I have a 30% off coupon" thinking they're going to get something for free. That's not how that works! That promotion would still bring people in who were too embarrassed at checkout to not pay up.

Yep, I used to work retail a couple lifetimes ago. Those people would forget to look at the fine print as well - can not be used on clearance items (which that 70% off is), nor on Levi jeans or in the cosmetics department, etc. And that is 30% of the remaining price, so $100 - 70% = $30. $30 - 30% = $21. CVS is almost as bad, and the customers are just as bad, as they will say something like Buy One Get One Half Price on this brand of soda, assorted/select items only. You may have 20 different products from Pepsi in one size, say the 2 litter bottle, yet only one or two of them are on sale - why can't the flyer just say which two of the twenty, and when you point out the wording to the customer, and that one of the other 18 items they are interested in is not one of the assorted, they get up set because they did not read the fine print.

Lawyers get paid big money to be English teachers, and catch all of the gramical errors, such as using a comma instead of a period, etc.

Reactions: bigdragon