News AMD, Nvidia Shortages Also Hurting System Builders

I had to pass on some great Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals due to the CPU and GPU I wanted being out of stock! They're out of stock EVERYWHERE I would buy from. Sure, I could've bought all the other components for my build, but was worried I wouldn't be able to get the CPU or GPU I wanted for several months, so I decided to just wait. I know I'm not the only one who had to put off their plan for a new build.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I think the failure of AMD and Nvidia to produce sufficient chips have a knock on impact to everyone in the supply chain. AIB don't get enough chips to sell as well for example, so they jack up the prices of "non-reference" models to make up for the lost in revenue. AMD can't produce enough CPU means motherboard sales will also tank since potential buyers may postpone their purchase

mikie tim t

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
If you want an AMD 5800X, which seems to be all that's available this year, you can find them at MicroCenters in the middle of the country. The coasts only have a single available, and it's in New Jersey. All 3 stores in OH have 25+ in stock this morning each, as well as Houston and also Madison Heights, MI, so the midsection of the country's MicroCenters are surprisingly well stocked this morning.

mikie tim t

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
For the first time ever, the Madison Heights, MI MicroCenter actually has all 4 Vermeer SKUs in stock. They are the only store other than Houston, TX to have more than 2 SKUs in stock, but I'd have to say this is a milestone of availability now.