AMD: OpenGL 4.1 Arrives On Windows, Linux

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott2010au

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
[citation][nom]Enzo Matrix[/nom]Too bad their linux drivers suck.[/citation]
Since SP1 for SUSE Linux ATI driver support has improved dramatically.

It's not 'steadily' getting better, but it sure as heck isn't getting worse either.

Scott2010au

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
[citation][nom]EnFoRceR22[/nom]But i do wish the opengl people will stop bickering and just make a dx killing api like it use to be.[/citation]
The OpenGL 'people' used to be SGI, they're not really in business any more.

In some respects 'id software' used to lead the pack once it became open-sourced. I don't know if anyone is really teaching people how to use it any more.

Open source developers aren't exactly as friendly towards teaching as they claim to be.

... Now in 2011 DirectX has won.

G

It's about damn time. nVidia drivers have supported OpenGL 4.1 since July 2010.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]nvidia drives account for more windows crashes than ati or intel, and nvidia has had more hardware destroying drivers than ati. all in all, i may not get the cutting edge drivers, but i get solid, non hardware destroying ones.[/citation]
Where are your sources for that?

lazymangaka

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]Enzo Matrix[/nom]Too bad their linux drivers suck.[/citation]
I felt so very lucky that I had an Nvidia card when I was working with Ubuntu. From everything I've seen with the computers I've worked with, it's night and day.

nvidia drives account for more windows crashes than ati or intel, and nvidia has had more hardware destroying drivers than ati. all in all, i may not get the cutting edge drivers, but i get solid, non hardware destroying ones

been using nvidia cards since the 90's and not had a windows crash ever because of nvidia drivers. im guessing it's user error or he has a crappy PC.

fuzzyplankton

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
[citation][nom]kanaida[/nom]I'll never ever, ever, ever buy an ATI card. Why? The cards are probably great, but they have the crappiest most buggy video card drivers ever. It's been like a decade and they still have problems of one sort or another. With an Nvidia card, I get quality driver updates, rarely getting any problems and if there are any, there's usually a new driver right around the corner quickly. If nvidia developers made drivers for ATI they would probably be incredible cards but the software really kills the hardware.[/citation]

To bad that Nvidia sells bad video ram.... I would take a bad driver that can be fixed over a class action lawsuit any day.

wikiwikiwhat

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]I just downgraded from 2 GTX470's to a single Radeon 6850 because of heat issues that caused the pc to crash..More drivers = better from this point onward for me[/citation]

I have 2 MSI GTX 470 Twin Frozr II's. I don't have your problem. Maybe its the airflow in your case. An awesome case, NZXT Phantom. No card is long enough.

457474hdfhd

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
ati drivers suck? not sure what peopel are smoking.

I was an avid nvidia fan from the original TNT up till the 6 series. The 6 series was killer performance for the money at the time. But you know what? I had more driver problems with that 6600 then i ever had, more issues then the all the previous problems combined. Problems that were NEVER fixed. For instance there were half a dozen games where the cut scenes completely refused to work with most of the drivers, with a few drivers they would work but then it would cause bad performance, or screw up something else. There was never to this day a a driver that fixed it.

Even with the issues that card was still a great deal performance wise. But it left a sour taste in my mouth, enough to make me seriously consider ati when the next upgrade came around.

So, when the 4000 series from ati came around with hands down better performance for the money, i switched. Ive been using that 4850 since and havent had a single problem that i can think of. I havent had to upgrade the drivers at all since getting it, everything just works. Tho i have switched drivers versions once when a hard drive crash forced a reinstall, but even that was almost a year ago now.

When its time to switch again ill look at both companies. Not now since i can play every game i own on max settings already... Stupid counsel games holding back pc games sucks.

Both companies have put out absymal drivers from what ive heard. But the worse issue ive had by far was with a nvidia card.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]EnFoRceR22[/nom]IMO direct x is garbage and i do remember when opengl was alot better. dispite the fact dx cant be used outside of windows games even if people wished i really kinda hope it does. dx is whats keeping systems like linux and mac out of the gaming. opengl can do only so much but if ms was forced to give up dx to other systems games would be all platform vary easy.But i do wish the opengl people will stop bickering and just make a dx killing api like it use to be.[/citation]
OpenGL can be used for anything DirectX can be, and more. The difference (AFAIK), is that OpenGL is at a much lower level than DirectX, and therefore is harder to work with.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]EnFoRceR22[/nom]You should also be aware your comparing a really low end card with what use to be a top of the line card.. honestly their performance should be somewhat smiler with the 7800 being better ( but thats just from some logical thought ) By the way ati does make a line of cards for professionals.. If you buy a low end video card expect it to perform like one. If you need professional get it but don't complain when your $40 video card cant do what the one you should be using does. (now this is assuming it is used for as you put it serious productivity.)[/citation]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't sound like you're familiar with the issue that mikem_90, jescott418, and I were talking about as your argument seems to be in response to a misunderstanding of the problem. The OpenGL acceleration issue a year ago wasn't limited to low end Radeon's, as it affected the recently released high end HD5000's as well.

At the time many ATI cards experienced unacceptably low performance in many Adobe CS4 programs such as Photoshop and After Effects when hardware acceleration was enabled. The problem was so severe that the Geforce 7300gt managed to outperform the HD5870 in Photoshop. As I stated in my previous comment, Tom's published an article at the time that brought attention to the problem. You're free to search for it if you want.

The FirePro line is beside the point here, as many cards in ATI's Radeon line should at least be able to deliver decent levels of performance in these programs (as in at least equal to a 7300gt). And in fact after a couple driver releases my HD4200 performed noticeably better, to the point where Photoshop was actually usable with OpenGL acceleration enabled. Again, this was all mentioned in my previous comment, perhaps you should try reading through it again. For the most part, the major problems appeared to be driver related.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]murdoc[/nom]can you really say that nvidia doesn't care about games as much as ATI when they have tons of games with their logo on it? What about "The way it's meant to be played" slogan that they slap on popular titles?[/citation]
No... I actually can't find any evidence of me even hinting at that in my previous post. What I'm saying is that ATI (AMD) doesn't care about professional GPU applications as much as Nvidia. Please reread...

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Yuka[/nom]You're so right, because using the 3D API for 2D rendering is a sin. God will kill a kitten if you even think about it!Cheers![/citation]
wtf are you talking about?... honestly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS