AMD: OpenGL 4.1 Arrives On Windows, Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I just downgraded from 2 GTX470's to a single Radeon 6850 because of heat issues that caused the pc to crash..

More drivers = better from this point onward for me :D

G

I won't ever buy another Ati card again. The 2D performance is dreadful and Ati has done little to help this issue. Is as if they think all people do is game. I cannot believe how they throttle back their GPU's in 2D.

[citation][nom]jescott418[/nom]I won't ever buy another Ati card again. The 2D performance is dreadful and Ati has done little to help this issue. Is as if they think all people do is game. I cannot believe how they throttle back their GPU's in 2D.[/citation]

You're so right, because using the 3D API for 2D rendering is a sin. God will kill a kitten if you even think about it!

Cheers!

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]jescott418[/nom]I won't ever buy another Ati card again. The 2D performance is dreadful and Ati has done little to help this issue. Is as if they think all people do is game. I cannot believe how they throttle back their GPU's in 2D.[/citation]

Part of it was linked into how they save power if I recall correctly. They power down a large section of the chip and unfortunately 2D acceleration was one part that was effected.

By the very nature of them realizing their mistake (and probably too late to change silicon), they have an incentive to make newer models better.

If you keep "never buying a x product again" to every company that does that, I have some lovely cave space to sell you.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
If you're referring to the poor hardware acceleration in Photoshop and other Adobe Creative Suite products, I believe that problem was dealt with, or at least minimized, with one of the early Catalyst 10 driver releases almost a year ago.

I remember being perplexed by the unusually poor performance I was getting out of the HD4200 in comparison to my 7800GT. I originally thought the discrepancy was due to the HD4200 being, well... an HD4200. Toms wrote a good article at the time which confronted this issue, and after a few driver updates my HD4200 performed noticeably better, still not great but CS4 is at least usable.

What surprised me more then anything at the time was how little attention the problem received, and how long it took to solve, given the maturity of many of the affected GPU's. And as for your statement about gaming, there's probably a good deal of truth to this. There's no way anyone who had just bought a high end HD5000 series card wouldn't have noticed this problem if they actually used Photoshop or AfterEffects for serious productivity, it was very obvious. ATI/AMD also doesn't put as strong of an emphasis on the professional market as Nvidia, so I don't think it's a stretch to say that most ATI cards (and users) are primarily gaming oriented, at least more so then Nvidia.

murdoc

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]If you're referring to the poor hardware acceleration in Photoshop and other Adobe Creative Suite products, I believe that problem was dealt with, or at least minimized, with one of the early Catalyst 10 driver releases almost a year ago. I remember being perplexed by the unusually poor performance I was getting out of the HD4200 in comparison to my 7800GT. I originally thought the discrepancy was due to the HD4200 being, well... an HD4200. Toms wrote a good article at the time which confronted this issue, and after a few driver updates my HD4200 performed noticeably better, still not great but CS4 is at least usable. What surprised me more then anything at the time was how little attention the problem received, and how long it took to solve, given the maturity of many of the affected GPU's. And as for your statement about gaming, there's probably a good deal of truth to this. There's no way anyone who had just bought a high end HD5000 series card wouldn't have noticed this problem if they actually used Photoshop or AfterEffects for serious productivity, it was very obvious. ATI/AMD also doesn't put as strong of an emphasis on the professional market as Nvidia, so I don't think it's a stretch to say that most ATI cards (and users) are primarily gaming oriented, at least more so then Nvidia.[/citation]

can you really say that nvidia doesn't care about games as much as ATI when they have tons of games with their logo on it? What about "The way it's meant to be played" slogan that they slap on popular titles? Games get the most attention because most people buy nice graphics cards for games but I think that ATI should also pay more attention to 2D and windows applications.

With the rise of Nvidia's femi to push tessellation, I think ATI should take a look into this as their cards don't seem to match up against Nvidia in that aspect. Being an avid fan of the 5800 series myself, I think that ATI offers great value for the power it offers but driver improvements are only at its infancy.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]murdoc[/nom]can you really say that nvidia doesn't care about games as much as ATI when they have tons of games with their logo on it? What about "The way it's meant to be played" slogan that they slap on popular titles? Games get the most attention because most people buy nice graphics cards for games but I think that ATI should also pay more attention to 2D and windows applications. With the rise of Nvidia's femi to push tessellation, I think ATI should take a look into this as their cards don't seem to match up against Nvidia in that aspect. Being an avid fan of the 5800 series myself, I think that ATI offers great value for the power it offers but driver improvements are only at its infancy.[/citation]

nvidia, way its meant to be played, usually involves locking code that should be multi card compatable to only run on nvidia, and than ati has to make a work around for those games in future drivers to improve gameplay.

and nvidia pays for it too, as in cash. no game company would gimp a game for one card if there wasnt a pay off.

kanaida

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
I'll never ever, ever, ever buy an ATI card. Why? The cards are probably great, but they have the crappiest most buggy video card drivers ever. It's been like a decade and they still have problems of one sort or another. With an Nvidia card, I get quality driver updates, rarely getting any problems and if there are any, there's usually a new driver right around the corner quickly. If nvidia developers made drivers for ATI they would probably be incredible cards but the software really kills the hardware.

kanaida

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
I'll never ever, ever, ever buy an ATI card. Why? The cards are probably great, but they have the crappiest most buggy video card drivers ever. It's been like a decade and they still have problems of one sort or another. With an Nvidia card, I get quality driver updates, rarely getting any problems and if there are any, there's usually a new driver right around the corner quickly. If nvidia developers made drivers for ATI they would probably be incredible cards but the software really kills the hardware.

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]I just downgraded from 2 GTX470's to a single Radeon 6850 because of heat issues that caused the pc to crash..More drivers = better from this point onward for me[/citation]
awhhh man i hate that! last time it happened to me i ripped the guts out and broke out my dremel put some rear panel ducting straight in to the cpu intake and added a mesh speaker grill to a new 120mm exhaust out the top of the case on my tower sserver case and a new psu with a fan on the bottom to grab 1/2 the cpu exhaust.
the things we (ok ok I) do for component love!

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]Enzo Matrix[/nom]Too bad their linux drivers suck.[/citation]
I agree. That is the only reason I don't have an ATI/AMD card.

[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]will opengl ever take on directx?[/citation]
In Windows games, probably never. In anything else, DirectX hardly figures, and it is all OpenGL.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]If you're referring to the poor hardware acceleration in Photoshop and other Adobe Creative Suite products, I believe that problem was dealt with, or at least minimized, with one of the early Catalyst 10 driver releases almost a year ago. I remember being perplexed by the unusually poor performance I was getting out of the HD4200 in comparison to my 7800GT. I originally thought the discrepancy was due to the HD4200 being, well... an HD4200. Toms wrote a good article at the time which confronted this issue, and after a few driver updates my HD4200 performed noticeably better, still not great but CS4 is at least usable. What surprised me more then anything at the time was how little attention the problem received, and how long it took to solve, given the maturity of many of the affected GPU's. And as for your statement about gaming, there's probably a good deal of truth to this. There's no way anyone who had just bought a high end HD5000 series card wouldn't have noticed this problem if they actually used Photoshop or AfterEffects for serious productivity, it was very obvious. ATI/AMD also doesn't put as strong of an emphasis on the professional market as Nvidia, so I don't think it's a stretch to say that most ATI cards (and users) are primarily gaming oriented, at least more so then Nvidia.[/citation]

You should also be aware your comparing a really low end card with what use to be a top of the line card.. honestly their performance should be somewhat smiler with the 7800 being better ( but thats just from some logical thought ) By the way ati does make a line of cards for professionals.. If you buy a low end video card expect it to perform like one. If you need professional get it but don't complain when your $40 video card cant do what the one you should be using does. (now this is assuming it is used for as you put it serious productivity.)

quote: In Windows games, probably never. In anything else, DirectX hardly figures, and it is all OpenGL.

Simple answer no.. To many people have to much say in what can and cant go into it. one of the major flaws in the "open source" approach. #1 reason imo linux hasn't done anything its promised to do against windows since i read about it before even xp came out. to many people to little standardization to much time messing around.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]kanaida[/nom]I'll never ever, ever, ever buy an ATI card. Why? The cards are probably great, but they have the crappiest most buggy video card drivers ever. It's been like a decade and they still have problems of one sort or another. With an Nvidia card, I get quality driver updates, rarely getting any problems and if there are any, there's usually a new driver right around the corner quickly. If nvidia developers made drivers for ATI they would probably be incredible cards but the software really kills the hardware.[/citation]

nvidia drives account for more windows crashes than ati or intel, and nvidia has had more hardware destroying drivers than ati.

all in all, i may not get the cutting edge drivers, but i get solid, non hardware destroying ones.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]EnFoRceR22[/nom]quote: In Windows games, probably never. In anything else, DirectX hardly figures, and it is all OpenGL.

Simple answer no.. To many people have to much say in what can and cant go into it. one of the major flaws in the "open source" approach. #1 reason imo linux hasn't done anything its promised to do against windows since i read about it before even xp came out. to many people to little standardization to much time messing around.[/citation]
Currently, DirectX is barely used for anything outside of Windows games. I agree that OpenGL will not replace DirectX for Windows games, though.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]PreferLinux[/nom]Currently, DirectX is barely used for anything outside of Windows games. I agree that OpenGL will not replace DirectX for Windows games, though.[/citation]

IMO direct x is garbage and i do remember when opengl was alot better. dispite the fact dx cant be used outside of windows games even if people wished i really kinda hope it does. dx is whats keeping systems like linux and mac out of the gaming. opengl can do only so much but if ms was forced to give up dx to other systems games would be all platform vary easy.

But i do wish the opengl people will stop bickering and just make a dx killing api like it use to be.

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]EnFoRceR22[/nom]IMO direct x is garbage and i do remember when opengl was alot better. dispite the fact dx cant be used outside of windows games even if people wished i really kinda hope it does. dx is whats keeping systems like linux and mac out of the gaming. opengl can do only so much but if ms was forced to give up dx to other systems games would be all platform vary easy.But i do wish the opengl people will stop bickering and just make a dx killing api like it use to be.[/citation]

If open GL becomes a standard,microsoft'll lose a lot of customers. The only reason I'm still using windows is that I'm a gamer :(

Scott2010au

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]will opengl ever take on directx?[/citation]
OpenGL used to be the API of choice back in the Quake III era. By the time DirectX 9 came out and Shader Model 2.0b, or 3.0 was the norm -even if the cards were far too weak to use it- DirectX (well Direct3D) started to take off.

There was a large transitional period from about DirectX 6.3 where a lot of titles supported both rendering APIs, and sometimes also a software rendering mode in addition to this.

Those were truly the glory days of PC gaming!

Status
Not open for further replies.