AMD Opens Up Wraith Max Cooler To Retail For $59

Status
Not open for further replies.

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador

And do you have the actual benchmarks to prove this?

Techspot was able to get the Ryzen 3 1200 from 3.1GHz to 3.9GHz with the Wraith Stealth cooler that came in its box (normal Boost limit is 3,4GHz), & were able to get the 1300X from 3.5GHz to 4.0 GHz with the Wriath Spire cooler (normal Boost limit is 3.7GHz), & they described them as being "quiet" (https://www.techspot.com/review/1455-ryzen-3/page4.html). That's pretty similar to Tom's Hardware's results (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-3-1300x-cpu,5149-8.html). Do you have any link showing the CM 212 EVO being tested yet with a Ryzen 3? Until then, it's just opinion.

Not to mention that it manages to do that with a smaller fan (92mm being smaller than the CM 212 EVO's 120mm fan). & it's a horizontal-mount down-blowing cooler, vs. the vertical-mount side-blowing CM 212. That could make it more attractive for those who have less headroom in their cases, or who don't want their CPU cooler to blow its hot air directly onto the GPU (or vice versa).

waltsmith

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
So, almost everyone agrees that AMD's new bundled coolers are an immense step up from the basement dweller OEM cooler they've had for years.
It's fairly quiet: confirmed by benchmarks and reviews.
It's smaller than a 212 EVO: confirmed by reading specs
It blows air down instead of to the side: whether that is good for a particular build or not varies. Confirmed by piecing together more than just one of things that we all know and love!
It cools as well as a 212 EVO: unconfirmed by benchmark or review(and probably never will be. While it's a great little cooler for what it is, it is never going to win a apples to oranges comparison against the 212. The 212 has a far bigger heatsink and the larger fan moves more air. Educated guess: the 212 will move more BTU's per mm² on the same size chip.)
It costs to darn much to be competitive: confirmed by checking prices of air coolers at your favorite retailer.
I can only assume that AMD doesn't really want to get into the CPU cooling market with that kind of a street price.
Oh wait,,,,they just did tho....
OK AMD, you are sending those confusing signals again!!!! And here I thought you had learned your lesson!!!!! Serves me right for thinking again! lol

AMD is paying Don too much ... :lol:

I suspect 'Retail' and "Street-price" may differ BUT those old AMD Opty 140w solid-copper base w/heat-pipe coolers were sweet, and some folks do love that fancy RGB-lighting these days ...

edit: For the nay-sayers & unbelievers ...

AMD Athlon 64 (i.e., Opty 165) Stock Heatsink with 4 Heat Pipes Tested

AMDRetailPackHSF-4-Heatpipe-lazyman-9977.jpg

alextheblue

Distinguished
The performance it commands (especially given the low noise and relatively compact dimensions) should put it around the $40-50 mark. No higher. BUT... The price is probably artificially high to not piss off aftermarket cooling OEMs.

Anyway, they need to make an Intel-compatible version! LMAO... with the AMD badging and everything.

He's the guy that polishes the base plates. :p

$45USD might be closer to the value of this cooler but I'm guessing. There are some pretty good $60USD coolers that I'm pretty certain are much butter.

Cyrorig Universal or Ultimate is about $45. Noctua NH-U14S is about $60. Be Quiet DR 3 is $60 to $65.

Pompompaihn

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
My guess is they aren't intending to sell a TON of these, but they have these manufactured in pretty large quantities to bring costs down, and this gives them an outlet to sell overstock if their sales of CPUs to mate them to doesn't mesh.

NoUntakenNames

Prominent
Mar 31, 2017
And they want SIXTY dollars for that? I picked up a Cryorig H7 for $35 so for this I might be willing to pay $45 (only for dem RGB blings).

AMD's gonna have a rough entry into the cooler market.

NeoSpudly

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015
I bought the 1700 that came with the wraith spire, i have an Cryorig H7 but i don't want to give up the RGB now...looks sweet with the RGB memory and motherboard....

Danny_s

Prominent
Jul 28, 2017
Honestly, try finding a 140w TDP downdraft cooler outside of this one... One of the issues I had looking for upgraded cooling is that I have an ITX build, minimual footprint heatsinks on my VRM/Chipsets and not a ton of space around my memory. Without a downdraft CPU cooler its really hard to get the right cooling for the rest of the surrounding MB components which on a ITX (Or mATX) are generally very near the CPU socket. I know that's a corner case... but I'll probably buy one for my R5 1600 because I know it'll fit, it's downdraft and 140w TDP is pretty awesome as I like tinkering with overclocking with my TT Core V1 nano build.

If Noctua or someone else made something like this, I'd go with them... but they're all either too small for ultra slim HTPC builds like Noctua NH-L9x65 (20mm shorter than the Wraith Max) only support 95w on AM4 platforms per their TDP guide, or they're Front/Rear airflow designs that just really don't work for me.

Cheers AMD, appreciate you letting us have the option!

Status
Not open for further replies.