Ozzit

Distinguished
May 24, 2003
What is best for a "non-gameing" work computer?
AMD XP 2000 with DDR memory pc3200 or Celeron 2,4 Ghz Memory pc2700.

SonComet

Distinguished
May 19, 2003
the xp2000 would be faster. And why get pc3200 with it? Unless you wanna overclock you could just get some cheaper pc2700.

TTZX

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2003
If you want a solid, stable and RELIABLE system then get the Celeron since you're not gonna be gaming. You're not gonna notice the speed difference.

<b>P4 2.4C @ 3.0GHz 1.525V Stock HSF * Abit IS7 BIOS v1.3 * Corsair XMS 2x256MB PC3200 2-3-3-6 * GeForce4 Ti4200 AGP8X 128MB * SB Audigy 2 ZS * Logitech Z-680 THX 5.1 * Seagate Barracuda 80GB SATA</b>

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
AMD has not had any reliability problems since before 2000. Why in hell someone would recommend a cely is beyond me... 'hey dood get the more expensive, slower product cause its leet an it rawks'.

<font color=blue>
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not " <b>--</b> <i><font color=red> George Bernard Shaw</i></font color=red></font color=blue>

TTZX

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2003
AMD not having qulaity problems is like saying KIA doesn't either. BTW the 2.4Celeron and 2000XP are the same price so the Celeron doesn't cost more. Ozzit, if you get the 2000XP make sure the retailer has a money back guarantee cause you'll probably end up going with the Celeron.

<b>P4 2.4C @ 3.0GHz 1.525V Stock HSF * Abit IS7 BIOS v1.3 * Corsair XMS 2x256MB PC3200 2-3-3-6 * GeForce4 Ti4200 AGP8X 128MB * SB Audigy 2 ZS * Logitech Z-680 THX 5.1 * Seagate Barracuda 80GB SATA</b>

Goof

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2003
If there's any chance that you might ever need BALLS in ur system, get the Athlon. In terms of stability, you probably won't even notice the difference between them - I don't know anyone who hasn't overclocked their Athlons and who's experienced stability issues.

Athlon XP 2400+ @ 2160 180 FSB
GF4 Ti4200 @ 275/575
GA-7N400Pro2
1GiG Kingston PC3200 @ 432MHz (Dual Channel)

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
WTF if have seen benchies with a celron at 3ghz (oced) being beaten in benchmarks by a axp 1600+ cut the crap man amd has NO quality control problems and offer a solid warantee on their retail products.

Newbies reading this forum dont listen to this guy he is obviously an intel fanboy.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
You must be either drunk or plain stupid. There is no other explanation for someone recomending a Celeron over an Athlon XP. And what's that all [-peep-] you are talking about? AMD has quality problems? Do YOU even believe what you are saying or are you just trying to get a little bit attention here?

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
In fact, I don't know anyone who did overclock an Athlon XP (and knew what he was doing) and had any stability issues for that matter!

TTZX

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2003
I'm not a fanboy dude. AMD, been there done that, paid the price for it. Just letting people know what they are getting into. There is nothing wrong with the Celeron for a non-gaming system. Of course the athlon will be better for a gaming system. If you want a nice furnace for your room and case that sounds like a leaf blower then by all means get the AMD.

bandikoot

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
Leaf blower? Having used both a leaf blower and several computers I can assure you that both AMD and Intel fans are quieter than leaf blowers. They are also quieter than hair dryers, washing machines, and the loose belt on my neighbors car that screams every time they start it up. Several months ago when my boss asked me if he should get a celery or an AMD for his office I told him to go AMD and he hasn't had a problem. There isn't anything to worry about.

G

You are a fudding fanboy; no one else would recommend crappy Celeron over an AXP for *anything*. Its way, way waaay slower, and it feels even more slower with its tiny cache, its more expensive and unlike your claims, its hotter. TDP of a 2.4 Celeron is 59.8W, while a 2000+ tbred is 55.9, and a 2500+ barton is 53.7W. Noise and heat will be a result of the HSF you use, but the celeron is hotter (slower, and more expensive).

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

CaptainNemo

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I have a PAL XP2100+ in my system; a good copper heatsink and a undervolted fan keep it nice and stable @ 17 degrees C above ambient. If I need to do anything intensive, I will up the voltage slightly on the heatsink fan and switch on the 120mm 'refresh' fan on the side of my case. That is quiet too; the loudest thing in my system is the HDD.

AMD's reliability/heat issues are a thing of the past, just like fanboys & idiots.

"Some mice have two buttons. Macintosh has one. So it's extremely difficult to push the wrong button." - Apple ad. circa 1984.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
a thing of the past, just like fanboys & idiots.
While you're certainly right that AMD's problems (reliability/heat ones that is) are long gone, sadly fanboys seem to still be enjoying their blinkered existence, and idiots... well I don't think the human race has ever been without them :smile: ... But at least they tend to make you laugh from time to time.

Another vote for AMD here... Seriously the choice given in the thread topic is a severe no-brainer.

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
> Newbies reading this forum dont listen to this
> guy he is obviously an intel fanboy.

Don't insult the intel fanboys most of THEM aren't THAT damn stupid.

Shadus

Ozzit

Distinguished
May 24, 2003
Thx for all replyies...
but i still don´t know what to but, i guess it will be a celeron because i don´t want a gameing computer just a stable computer, Some of you thinks the AMD is beating the celeron and some celeron beats AMD.
I guess it is not very big difference and i have a pentium now and it works find (just to slow), I think celeron is good for me

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
There was ONE <i>idiot</i> who recommended a cely. This post was'nt legit from the beginning.

<font color=blue>
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not " <b>--</b> <i><font color=red> George Bernard Shaw</i></font color=red></font color=blue>

Only one person on this thread recommends a Celeron over an AMD XP. Given the choice, I would also take an Athlon XP over a Celeron any day.

Stability is NOT an issue... so long as you get a decent motherboard. If you go with a cheap mobo... you get what you pay for. You'll want a nVidia nForce2-based board for sure... I'd stay away from Via (stability issues from things I've heard) or SiS (too slow).

With this in mind, you'll be able to build a decent system that will do EVERYTHING (including gaming). It will be stable and fast... what more could you ask for? Don't tell me you don't want a gaming machine... everyone plays the odd game... so why not build yourself something with that in mind?

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
If you are so stupid, to choose a Celeron over an Athlon XP, because only one person reccomended it, then be my guest. It's your money and it's your choice how to spend it. But honestly I feel sorry for guys like you. It is VERY easy to find the answer to your question by visiting a couple of webpages. When I spend my money, I make sure I get the best I can with that money, especially when it comes to computer hardware. Btw, may I suggest an FX 5800 Ultra along with that excellent CPU you got yourself there?

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Hmm, some people in this thread have been getting too emotional. Sorry if anyone's called you stupid or been insulting...
Here's the bottom line: the AMD will outperform the Celeron hands down and it is as stable. I have owned an AMD 1.2Ghz computer since 2001 and it has never had an issue b/c hardware (hell, I even got the new AMD760 chipset when it came out and all was fine!) Since then I have built several systems for friends, and beleive me I don't have time to go help em so anything less than stable is out of the picture. In all cases I have used AMD- 1 XP1700 syste, 2 XP1900 systems, 1 XP2400, 1 XP2500, and several others that won't come to the top of my head. Also, some time ago I was asked to build an AMD system as a sort of test for a trading company...it's still there and they are loving the FPU.
I'd go with the AMD since you get more out the product for the same money.

The one and only "Monstrous BULLgarian!"

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Ehhhh....ONE PERSON SAID TO GET THE CELERON. I have never heard of any recent (as in the past 3 years) AMD reliability issues. Aditionally, a Celeron is one of the worst computer products money can buy (except a Mac). Athlons are good processors (oh yeah, I'm an Intel fan [as long as it isn't a celeron], too), especially for a low-priced, low-performance computer. Listen to the majority of the people here.

RDRAM = (ENEMY)^2

G

Did you come here for advice ? or just to troll ? You got your advice, do with it what you like, but if you arent going to listen, then why ask in the first place ? Oh well, enjoy your celeron.. make sure you get a matching pair of SDRAM modules with them and a 5400 rpm harddisk.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =