Amd or intel for gaming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

darknirvana21

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Hey I am kind of new at all of this, but I am looking into getting a gaming computer. A friend of mine has been a die hard intel fan since creation while my brother is a fan of AMD. I've looked at benchmarks and read up on both platforms, but I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions. This pc will be used primarily for gaming, things like skyrim, swtor, or MW3. How do these benchmarks translate into gaming performance?

darknirvana21

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012

Thanks for this information. Do you see any reason to wait for ivy if its for gaming only?

sonexpc

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
For Over $2000 budget ... For sure suggest you go for the new i7-3930K.... is just so fast ... not just in game but in all the application ..... if you will do Photoshop that kind or AutoCad... you will feel significant increase while you doing rendering...

For Game is a little bit over power ... but if you have budget why not?... It may last for another 5 year... The benchmark of this CPU is almost Double as i5-2500K.... and this is also easy overclock!

mahin1islam

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
It matters a lot. overall, intel is the best at gaming for their high end processor. almost all gamers will recommend an i5-2500k. but for those who cant afford it, there is always the Pentium G620, which performs better than almost all amd chips in terms of gaming.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I like AMD but Intel is the CPU of choice for gaming.

I do still prefer AMD GPU's over Nvidia however because of the efficiency. And no, it doesn't cause an issue to run and AMD GPU with an Intel CPU.

darknirvana21

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012

I was planning on getting a 7970, unless Nvidias Kepler comes out sooner, which was a whole new issue for me, whether it was worth the wait on their cards.

G

i think the price point of intel/amd really isn't only money but also the configuration performance.
based on a budget w/o heavy (bf3, crysis 2) gaming.
cpu with a discreet: i3
cpu w/o a discreet: amd llano

Headbomb

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Hmm, Would an AMD video card work best with an AMD CPU or does it not matter?

I did the research and have considered the 3570k i5 processor.
although I still want to buy an AMD HD Radeon 7870.
I would buy a Nvidia card buy they are more expensive than AMD.

What would work best?