[SOLVED] Amd or Intel?

Emericafan94

Reputable
Nov 4, 2015
Specs That Matter: Strix 1080ti
16gb Ram
1tb Ssd
I am upgrading my computer because I am giving a friend my i7-7700k and my motherboard because his died on him. Anyways the question is what processor should I go for I am not really looking for a giant upgrade my PC is honestly pretty good at everything I do I just game in 4k at 60hz and do all my graphic design on my tablet. Should I go 8700k, 8700, or 2700x? I am going Asus mobo to keep my Asus aura going and the only thing I use my PC for other than gaming is emulation which is more gaming so is a 2700x good with emulation and at least do emulation and 4k gaming better than my old i7? I would normally go Intel but with everything lately and the cheaper price of the 2700x is it even worth the extra costs of an i7 currently?

Solution
If your use is for multithreaded batch apps, ryzen gets you lots of threads for a good price.
If your main use is for gaming, go with the higher intel clock rate.
I think you would be pleased with a i5-9600K and an overclock.
The 6 thread $250 9600K has a passmark rating of 13473 and a single thread rating of 2684.
The single thread rating is usually the most important for games.
By comparison, the 8 thread i7-7700K has a rating of 12,037.

The 9th gen intel K processors will all oc to the 5.0 range. For ryzen it is around 4.3.
9th gen intel has soldered heat spreaders so they can usually oc better than their 8th gen counterparts and will run cooler.
Pick the number of threads you actually can make good use of.
9600K has 6, 9700K has...
If your use is for multithreaded batch apps, ryzen gets you lots of threads for a good price.
If your main use is for gaming, go with the higher intel clock rate.
I think you would be pleased with a i5-9600K and an overclock.
The 6 thread $250 9600K has a passmark rating of 13473 and a single thread rating of 2684.
The single thread rating is usually the most important for games.
By comparison, the 8 thread i7-7700K has a rating of 12,037.

The 9th gen intel K processors will all oc to the 5.0 range. For ryzen it is around 4.3.
9th gen intel has soldered heat spreaders so they can usually oc better than their 8th gen counterparts and will run cooler.
Pick the number of threads you actually can make good use of.
9600K has 6, 9700K has 8 and 9900K has 16.

You could experiment with removing one or more cores/threads. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

Solution

Anarkie13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2015
I might suggest looking at a 8700k build, since that nets you 6 cores 12 threads and the higher single core performance Intel is known for. The 9700k is better single core and has more cores but less threads and costs about $50 or so more.
While AMD has the core/thread per price ratio well covered, you're talking gaming and design. The 8700k is the happy medium of core speed with thread count that makes it more ideal for both tasks.