[SOLVED] AMD or Intel?

Nov 9, 2019
Hello! I am potentially looking at getting back into Desktop Gaming this upcoming year and I am kind of stuck on what kind of system I want to build. my budget is going to be between $1500 and $2000. I have an intel i7 lenovo gaming laptop that I love. I haven't build a gaming pc since back in high school (2009) and I was using an AMD machine. What hardware would you recommend from experience?

Solution
AMD CPUs are absolutely amazing. They offer for the most part much better value all while nearly matching Intel at every tier. The 9400F is an interesting contender though, since at 150USD is its the cheapest 6c/6t CPU however the Ryzen 3600 at 190USD (usually cheaper on sale) offers 12 threads along with usually cheaper motherboards.

Personally If I were to build a computer right now I would go with a Ryzen 3700 build. Just be sure to get 3200mhz or faster dual channel memory with Ryzen.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Hello! I am potentially looking at getting back into Desktop Gaming this upcoming year and I am kind of stuck on what kind of system I want to build. my budget is going to be between $1500 and $2000. I have an intel i7 lenovo gaming laptop that I love. I haven't build a gaming pc since back in high school (2009) and I was using an AMD machine. What hardware would you recommend from experience?

Personally, I'd go with AMD, only because Intel isn't really competing in the graphics department, and AMD has been making some really moves as of late. They are finally starting to get their act together. I've recently went all AMD with my PC. Other than that, whatever your heart desires the way I see it.

Nov 9, 2019
Personally, I'd go with AMD, only because Intel isn't really competing in the graphics department, and AMD has been making some really moves as of late. They are finally starting to get their act together. I've recently went all AMD with my PC. Other than that, whatever your heart desires the way I see it.

How is there hardware lately? The last PC I built back in High School had an AMD antholon x4 cpu (lol I'm dating myself). I was looking at getting AMD cpu /gpu combo but the last I heard was that the radeon GPU had driver issues.

AMD CPUs are absolutely amazing. They offer for the most part much better value all while nearly matching Intel at every tier. The 9400F is an interesting contender though, since at 150USD is its the cheapest 6c/6t CPU however the Ryzen 3600 at 190USD (usually cheaper on sale) offers 12 threads along with usually cheaper motherboards.

Personally If I were to build a computer right now I would go with a Ryzen 3700 build. Just be sure to get 3200mhz or faster dual channel memory with Ryzen.

Solution

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
How is there hardware lately? The last PC I built back in High School had an AMD antholon x4 cpu (lol I'm dating myself). I was looking at getting AMD cpu /gpu combo but the last I heard was that the radeon GPU had driver issues.

Well I have the new 3rd Gen Ryzen 7 3700x, and it has given a major improvement in my games. I never thought I'd get 60 or more frames in games like Squad or Hitman 2 for instance. This is obviously attributed mainly to my CPU.

At the same clocks intel is about 10% faster in games as long as the GPU allows.
If you get an unlocked intel CPU you get another 20 to 25% in clocks on top of that...
ALL CORE overclock for ryzen tops out at about 4.1-4.2Ghz if you get lucky and get a top golden chip,intel tops out at 5.1-5.2 for a very golden sample,4 for ryzen and 5 for intel are pretty easy to get stable for at least games.
If you want a CPU that will be a top CPU for future GPUs as well and not just for this gen of GPUs then get an unlocked intel CPU with a minimum of 6 cores.

Youtube link
haDrc0I.jpg

Nov 9, 2019
At the same clocks intel is about 10% faster in games as long as the GPU allows.
If you get an unlocked intel CPU you get another 20 to 25% in clocks on top of that...
ALL CORE overclock for ryzen tops out at about 4.1-4.2Ghz if you get lucky and get a top golden chip,intel tops out at 5.1-5.2 for a very golden sample,4 for ryzen and 5 for intel are pretty easy to get stable for at least games.
If you want a CPU that will be a top CPU for future GPUs as well and not just for this gen of GPUs then get an unlocked intel CPU with a minimum of 6 cores.

Youtube link
haDrc0I.jpg

From my understanding, while AMD typically offers more CPU's, they are usually not as strong as Intel's CPU cores.

TRENDING THREADS