AMD or Nvidia?

alexswede

Reputable
Apr 26, 2017
Ive been an Nvidia fan-boy through and through, but lately ive been wanting to get a new rig cuase of some trouble that upgrading seperate areas would cost me. So as im looking for new PC's i found that most 1440p 1ms monitors (im also looking for a new one of those) come in Adaptive/Freesync and not g-sync. Is it worth switching to AMD just for a great monitor? Whats the pros and cons of Nvidia and AMD? I would really appreciate an unbiased opinion, and thanks in advance.

Monitor im looking at currently: https://www.webhallen.com/se/product/289657-MSI-Optix-MPG27CQ-27-VA-1440p-HDMI-x2-DP-1ms-144hz-Curved-FreeSync

Solution
D
As of right now, to really take advantage of a 1440p monitor on AMD, you really would need a Vega card. They're very power hungry and tend to lag behind Nvidia's price equivalent, but the Freesync monitors are quite a bit cheaper. If you really want a Freesync monitor, go with a Vega card, but otherwise, I would buy an Nvidia card and just go for a G-sync monitor. This also ensures that you have an upgrade path as AMD's roadmap for GPUs is not overly promising at the moment...
D

Deleted member 2121781

As of right now, to really take advantage of a 1440p monitor on AMD, you really would need a Vega card. They're very power hungry and tend to lag behind Nvidia's price equivalent, but the Freesync monitors are quite a bit cheaper. If you really want a Freesync monitor, go with a Vega card, but otherwise, I would buy an Nvidia card and just go for a G-sync monitor. This also ensures that you have an upgrade path as AMD's roadmap for GPUs is not overly promising at the moment...

Solution

alexswede

Reputable
Apr 26, 2017

Is there any Vega card that is equal to a 1080?

D

Deleted member 2121781

The Vega 64 is pretty much equal to the 1080, but AMD doesn't have anything beyond that right now.

D

Deleted member 2121781

I personally do not notice a difference, but if you are serious about gaming down to the precise movements, 1ms if probably better. Otherwise, I'd go for the 4ms monitor, assuming there is a price difference. If not, you may as well grab the 1ms monitor.

Looks like a very nice monitor.
When you have a mismatch between the ability of the monitor to display frames and the ability of the pc to generate then, there can be some issues like screen tearing and input lag.
The best way is to have the monitor control when it can accept a new frame.
AMD does this via freesync.
Nvidia does this two ways. G.sync is hardware in the monitor to do the control.
It adds cost to the monitor.
But, there is a second way that is implemented in the newer GTX10xx cards called fast sync.
Here is an article that explains:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/13

I might point out that a response of 4ms is equivalent to 250 per second.
I do not know what graphics cards you are considering or the processor you will use.
You may be more limited in your FPS by the processor than your graphics card.

If you are a nvidia fan, buy nvidia.
If you are looking at a very high class card, you have little choice today.

alexswede

Reputable
Apr 26, 2017

Well i mean most of the computers im looking at are around 8th gen i5 with 6 cores aswell as 1080's. Would you recommend anything in particular for a 1440p gaming experience that wouldnt interfere with the monitors capabilities?

GTX1080 is going to run any 1440P games reasonably well.
My suggestion is to buy your monitor first, then decide what, if anything you need to run it as you wish.
Much depends on the types of games you play.
Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.