AMD or PentiumIII

G

Hi,
I would like to ask what you recommend to me about the following:

If i had to choose between the two following combinations what would be the best choise:
An AMD K7 1100MHZ Athlon socket-A 200MHZ with an ASUS A7V133A Socket-A Mainboard

or an Intel Pentium III-933 MHZ FCPGA 133 MHZ FSB with an ASUS CUV4X-E PentiumIII-FCPGA ATX Mainboard

?

Please reply

Bye

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Ohhh let the battles begin!!!

It's up to you really, the AMD is a faster performer but if your going to go the Intel route get the CUSL2 board, it's faster than the CUV4X board, and you wont get half the configuration problems with it.

If you take a truth and follow it blindly, it will become a Falsehood and you a Fanatic.

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
I would say that if you go the AMD route, you would be foolish to get the 200MHz (100MHz FSB) T-bird. Go for the 266MHz (133MHz FSB) version - you definitely want your CPU to run at 133MHz FSB with the KT133A!

On the Intel front, Pettytheft is right on the money with his CUSl2 (or CUSL2-C) advice. It is one of the best mobos available (the ultimate for stability and compatibility)! Here however, I would recommend the 1GHz P3EB. IMHO, it's a better buy than the 933MHz.

I prefer the latter combo (I have it)! BTW, my wife has the former combo (but with a 1GHz 133MHz FSB T-bird).

G

The AMD system will be a little faster then the Intel but Intel systems are certainly more stable with almost zero compatibility problems. However, the Asus Cuv4x is a motherboard with the VIA chipset and I strongly recommend against it... i assume you want your system to be stable.. get a motherboard with the Intel 815E chipset. The Asus Cusl2 is a good board.

G

Yaaaaa fugger yer back!!! Need to do some serious monkey business *spud trying not to laugh* Time has come where intel is letting the world know they are the best and thats the only thing that we need to know.

SPUDMUFFIN

<font color=red>Being Evil Is Good. Cause I Can Be A Prick And Get Away With It.</font color=red> :lol:

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you go with Intel, be sure you use an Intel chipset. A VIA based MB introduces the same stability issues that plague VIA based AMD systems. They are not insurmountable, but must be addressed.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

G

Sounds like this round goes to Intel. Not a single person recommended AMD.Imagine that.
That was easy.

G

The Athlon 1100 is much faster (the Athlon with SDR and the Coppermine P3 are pretty much the same, clock-for-clock).

The KT133A means you will be able to upgrade to a 133MHz DDR chip later on if you want (i.e. Palomino). The 133MHz DDR version of the 1.1GHz isn't any more expensive, you could try and find one of these instead.

This means the upgrade path for the Athlon will take you to at least 2GHz. I don't think there's much life left in the socket 370, what with the P4 using the 462 and 468 sockets for Willamette and Northwood versions.

~ The First Formally Rehabilitated AMD Lemming ~

IntelConvert

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
I guess it's no surprise when I vote for the P3. While they still cost a little more than a T-bird, there are some things I just don’t like about most T-bird systems.

A T-bird rig consumes a lot more power (T-bird 1GHz = 48.7 watts vs. Coppermine 1GHz = 26.1 watts) and therefore dissipates a lot more heat than a P3 system. And it's not just the CPU that consumes more power; with a T-bird you definitely need more case-cooling (fans) which further increases power consumption. I don't know about your electricity bill, but here in California it's especially hard to ignore that 'big-hit' every month!

If you are building your own T-bird system, you have to be extremely careful mounting the heatsink. It doesn't take much to crack a T-bird's core. Speaking of HSFs, since T-birds have no thermal protection, they will quickly fry if the heatsink fan craps-out (unless you have implemented other measures for power shutdown in that event).

Last but certainly not least, with a P3 you can avoid all VIA chipset compatibility issues by going with a fully compatible and stable Intel 815 chipset. With a T-bird, you are pretty much stuck with VIA*. This is even true with the AMD760 (DDR) chipset which was severely compromized when the VIA686B Southbridge was substituted for the AMD766.

*With a T-bird, the only way to completely avoid VIA is with the ALiMAGiK DDR chipset.

paulcalmond

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2001
Could you please specify what 'compatability problems'
you are refering to with Via 686B Southbridge chip

I haven't experienced any problems with my AMD 761 / Via 686B based system.

Unless getting a higher performance and reliable system that also costs less than a high end Pentium system is undesirable.

Please respond with your experience of problems with AMD 761 / Via 686B based systems.

IntelConvert

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
OMG, where have you been living??? Users have been reporting various types of VIA problems in all of the hardware forums for quite some time! If you really want to get educated on these issues, do a search on "VIA" in Tom's Mtherboard and Chpsets section, or AnandTech's, or Ace's, or wherever.

But just to save you some searching - re: VIA's most recent screw-up in their 686B, just click <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">HERE</A>