AMD Outs Official Statement On R9 Fury X Pump Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Amd just can't win. Make a card run cool. "Urmagerd so noisey, muh nvidurs was so much more quiet!"
Make the card quiet. "Urmahgerd so hawt, muh nvidurs ran so much cooler." Goes with water cooling using a cooler master....
Yea I see where they goofed. GG AMD.

Revan1

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014
This statement reads like it was written by a first year Corporate Communications co-op.

Yah reading that whole statement made me sick to my stomach, AMD is complete garbage.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
AMD is not willing to take 100% blame of a faulty product. This is reminiscent of Jobs telling iPhone users "you're holding it wrong," but Apple is sitting on 9 digits of cash and AMD is in debt to their eyeballs. IMHO, lack of maturity at AMD corporate and the complete lack of enthusiasm to better their products is what is putting them behind Intel and Nvidia. Huang and Cook can be arrogant, only because they can back it up technologically and financially. AMD corporate's arrogance is just an attempt to cover their complete inadequacies to compete. For the sake of Radeon products, I really hope someone buys them out and cleans house, otherwise we might see a slowdown in technological advancement of GPUs.

Reaver192

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
It seems to me that amd is letting the same thing that happened to them with cpus happen with gpus. They are pushing that architecture to hard instead of refining it the way nvidia does. I like AMD and want them to catch up but that seems highly improbable on the cpu side and starting to become a problem on the gpus as well. They can probably stay competitive with nvidia but they necessary to step it up. HBM is cool and all but it seems that instead of improving the architecture being the focus, they are relying on others innovations to make up for their own inadequacies. I know they do not have the cash flow but they need a clear win somewhere

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
It's a water cooling pump stuffed inside a beautiful little resonating chamber. It is going to make noise no matter what AMD does to the pump. Then there is coil whine that many people are complaining about that so far has not gotten any response from AMD. I gave up on my closed water cooling CPU cooler. It was just too noisy. Not an ideal solution for AMD and an expensive one to boot.

Nothing to address..... this has been true for all R series cards since they were 1st introduced. See 8:40 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djvZaHHU4I8

And it didn't get better as was expected (actually got worse) when water cooled (4:30 mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqaHh-y51us

It's not that they don't overclock well, it's that compared to the 7xxx series, they are essentially pretty well overclocked in the box.

Amd just can't win. Make a card run cool. "Urmagerd so noisey, muh nvidurs was so much more quiet!"
Make the card quiet. "Urmahgerd so hawt, muh nvidurs ran so much cooler." Goes with water cooling using a cooler master....
Yea I see where they goofed. GG AMD.

Agreed, you can't have the best of both worlds.

They can't make a win because Nvidia wins in both departments. There's no reason to get an AMD card. Doesn't perform, doesn't have the driver support, makes unusual noise. Card is a fail, and their stock shows it.

It doesn't win anything and isn't going to make my "buy list" but they are in a better position now than they were before. At the right price it could be attractive but right now they are selling all they can ship so it won't happen until the pent up demand for a red card has been satisfied.

OTOH, remember when nVidia was frying eggs with their 4xx series,... future didn't look so rosy, but what they learned there paid big dividends with the 5xx series which has continued to help them today. Since then they have been dominating. In sports they call it "a rebuilding year" :). ... it might happen. If it doesn't we all suffer when competition vanishes.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
It doesn't win anything and isn't going to make my "buy list" but they are in a better position now than they were before. At the right price it could be attractive but right now they are selling all they can ship so it won't happen until the pent up demand for a red card has been satisfied.

OTOH, remember when nVidia was frying eggs with their 4xx series,... future didn't look so rosy, but what they learned there paid big dividends with the 5xx series which has continued to help them today. Since then they have been dominating. In sports they call it "a rebuilding year" :). ... it might happen. If it doesn't we all suffer when competition vanishes.

i call it right now nvidia is evil, and amd is competitive so i go with the competitive card
intel is in the same area of evil, but amd isn't competitive in single core (multi core they are) and hopefully the zen brings them up so its not so big a gap that i would be forced to go intel.

AMD cards fit in to that big price hole between the GTX 960 $200 and the GTX 970 $325. Gamers buy a lot of cards in that range so I think they can survive this rocky launch on the FuryX. Honestly AMD fan boys will buy them any way and how many high-end cards like the FuryX and the GTX 980 Ti really sell in a month. Many more cards in the $150 to $290 price range sell for gamers, and AMD is right there. Their cards in that range are mature and and their drivers have been out for awhile. Nvidia's moves has stolen the luster of AMD's FuryX launch, but I expect them to come out with a good dual GPU card that will help with the top end segment. Just curious is that 4GB on the FuryX really 4GB or 3.5? ;^D

Unfortunately, I haven't found an AMD card that is performance competitive (overclocked "bawlz to the wall") in any cost categories I'm interested in. Only category I'd look at AMD is as an alternative to the 960....

I'm a hardware whore ... no loyalties, no fan like adoration .... my money goes to whomever has the best numbers and features on non-reference cards overclocked as far as they will go. AMD hasn't been able to be competitive in generations in the upper price categories and has slipped a bit more with each one. There is a reason why their market share has dwindled to 20% and the 970 has outsold all of the R7 and R9 cards combined ... and by a significant margin. With Intel squeezing from the low end and nVidia at the high end, AMD is in a tough spot.

Technological innovations tend to stumble in the 1st iteration, I'm hoping they can recover and put some competition into the next one..

The problem is the failed launch of the R9/R7 2xx series, no rebound with the 3xx and who knows what coming from nVidia for the Xmas season and is / when AMD equipped to answer that ? Unlike the draft in sports where the worst team gets 1st shot at the new talent, the best team gets more money and time to spend on developing new products. I'm really hoping that by basically writing off the playoffs for this year with the recent rollout, they can use this as a rebuilding year and come out strong next season. Dual GPU cards have a tough sell when two of the GPUs on separate cards are cheaper, faster, cooler.

How many $300+ nVidia cards sell in a month ? ... almost 3 times as many as all AMD R7 / R9 cards combined. The entire R7 market combined adds up to just 23% of what the 970 has all by itself.

I think few realize the market impact of a marginally over $300 GTX x70. When we expected $400+, by lowering the price point of the x70 card from $400 to just over $300, much of the $200+ market has evaporated due to the small incremental jump for a 970. $250 => $400 gives pause... $250 => $309 does not. In addition the 960 is the 1st x60 card that in SLI, can't kick the x80s tail. I think the greatest impact of the 960 is convincing peeps to go for the 970.

970 has 3.45% market share
980 has 0.98% market share

Total = 4.43%

All R9 series cards combined have 1.04 % market share
All R7 series cards combined have 0.58 % market share

Total = 1.62

4.43 / 1.62 = 2.73 times .. and this is in just over half the time on market.

It would appear with integrated GFX eating up much of the lower end, I think we'll soon see the end of < $100 discreet cards.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

the reason is purely marketing.

nvidia has put drivers out that killed gpus on at least 2 occasions, something amd doesn't do.
to my understanding nvidia is willing to downgrade their old gpus to make new ones more attractive, see the 780 line where a driver upgrade made it perform worse in old benchmarks.
they are also willing to soft gimp their old cards through extreme tessellation that has no effect on visuals because its sub pixel, though this may be more an eff you to amd as amd performs tessellation worse than nvidia (or at least nvidias implementation of tessellation) but it has the added benefit of screwing over the older cards to make the newer ones look better even if the fact if they turned it to a reasonable level they would perform much better as a whole... something amd lets you do in drivers that nvidia does not.
than you have nvidia blatantly lying about 4gb cards... you know if i buy a car with 6 gears and it was sold to me as a 6 gear car, and the moment you shift into 6th gear the thing stalls out i would want a full refund if not sue while not getting another car from that manufacture, but somehow nvidia does this and people say screw the 970 ill just get a 980 instead.

hell, the worst thing that amd did in screwing over competition would be they made mantle that had an end goal of opening up to everyone so long as they used the standard... they did not actively remove parts of a game because you don't have their hardware.

see for me its not that im a fan of amd, i just hate nvidia with a fiery passion and anything shy of getting a 980ti for sub 200$ would ever make me use their stuff, intel isn't competitive in graphics, but amd is.

on the cpu side intel is arguably worse than nvidia in the shady crap they pull, but they have such a large lead that if i got a new cpu today, i would go intel... im holding out on the zen largely because of an immense disdain for intel and their current and prior business practices.

just like the rest so big a hurry to get it out it ends up being a mess - its like they don't use any R&D just draw it up sent it to a manufacture tell him to use the cheapest available parts to make it kinda work get it to market sell all we can then worry about the issues at the end users expense..

but then I guess the guy that tested this at AMD did not see or hear anything on the one he had to play with - ''no problems here boss'' ship it !

and it anit like its just AMD

tomc100

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008

Give the guy a break. He was listening to Metallica while testing the Fury X.

Status
Not open for further replies.