AMD Overclocking Club

Page 68 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

David119

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017
HI there. I am a new newbie in the oc catagory. Got my new build this monday with a ryzen 5 1600x and the asus crosshair 6 hero, cooled by the x62 kraken. The ryzen is now oc'd to 4ghz on all cores with 1.375v and the dram is on 3200mhz with 1.35v. Oh the ram i am using is the corsair vengeance lpx 3200 cl16. Quastion is should i try to lover the voltage of the core or just leave it the way it is? any tips are welcome :)

h2opoloplyr11

Prominent
Aug 18, 2017

I would say try to lower it one step, and see if it runs stable. It doesnt hurt to try. But 1.375v at 4ghz is on the low side, considering people have been using 1.4v to run 4ghz OC initially.

Vellinious

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013

Use LLC settings to lower droop....will likely be able to lower voltage. My 1600X runs stable at 1.275v with LLC lvl 3. That's a REALLY good sample, but I would think 1.35 or 1.34 should be easily doable.

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Need 1 on 1 help with overclocking my A10 6800k @4.1ghz. I want to get at least 4.6ghz, but I don't know what to increase. Thank you, please help.

rob.salewytsch

Prominent
Sep 6, 2017
I have a Ryzen 5 1600 and was only able to get it to OC to 3.7 at 1.3v (which is the first thing I tried). Nothing faster works with any voltage I tried. I have an MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC and 8GB of LPX Vengeance 3200 RAM.

Do I just chalk this up to losing the silicon lottery?

Vellinious

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013

Run your memory at the default clock settings, and then try your CPU overclocks again. The IMC on Ryzen is incredibly weak, and it may not be your CPU that's causing instability, but your memory running at 3200 making it appear that it's your CPU.

I'd start there....figure out what's causing the instability for sure, before you write your CPU off as a bad overclocker.

amaury.oliveira15

Prominent
Dec 11, 2017
Looking for some advice here.

System:
Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI PLUS
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 (Stock cooler)
Memory: 20 GB (G. Skill 16gb 3200mhz + Corsair 4gb 2133mhz)
GPU: GTX 1060 6gb
VBIOS: 7A33v36

Hey, OC noob here. Just build my first system ever. That said, with everything at stock, fresh out of installation, i launched Cinebench test and scored 1536 with 3.0Ghz. Then i finally went to overclocking after watching some videos, reading a little bit, etc. In the first try i changed memory speed to 2400mhz and cpu to 3.5ghz the result was no booting, no bios, no nothing. No choice but to clear cmos, and so i did. After that everything seemed to go back to normal, and i proceeded to overclock, this time only the cpu. And i was able to go 3.5 without messing with the voltage. But unexpectedly my cinebench score was much lower. Now at 3.0Ghz i'm only able to reach 1406. At 3.7Ghz with 1.2375V (stressed in AIDA64 for 3h, 78C max temp), my best score is 1478. Now i'm aware this RAM situation is not the ideal and i have another identical G. Skill arriving someday this week, but as i mentioned, i already had much better scores with the same temporary kit. As for general performance, i haven't had much time to test stuff (i plan on video editing, some 3d and gaming), so i can only speak for the last game i played on my previous cpu (i5-6500) - Deus Ex: Mankind divided - and that it is doing a little worse now. So anyone have any ideas as to what caused the performances to drop so much?

Vellinious

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013

Ryzen processors use memory to increase performance. The infinity mesh is rumored to run at the speed of the system memory. So, with lower clocks on the memory, even with slightly higher clocks on the CPU, it's possible to get lower scores.

The best way to get the best performance out of Ryzen, is to overclock the CPU first. Find where it likes to run, keeping temps from jumping too high under AVX loading, and then work on the memory. As I stated in the post above yours. The IMC (integrated memory controller) in Ryzen is pathetically weak. So, in order to get decent clocks out of your memory, you may need to increase memory voltage and use a little slower timings. The SoC voltage may need adjusted too, slightly. The Samsung B die memory tends to run the best.....but it's also quite pricey....you get what you pay for.

amaury.oliveira15

Prominent
Dec 11, 2017

The thing is that now, even overclocking i can't get a performance nearly as good as my first and clueless Cinebench test. I scored 1536 at stock speeds on CPU and RAM. After failling my first memory overclock (and also after upgrading drivers, bios, etc) i'm now kinda of stuck on 1230-1280 points at stock. I tried installing older versions of the bios, clearing cmos, overclocking ram (wich i got comfortably to 2667, will need more tweaking to go beyond that), and it made almost no difference on the scores. Now the only thing that actually impacted after all my attempts was a clean boot, it took my scores to 1398 at stock and reduced my temps around 8 to 10C. But that's still not close to that first score. I just thought i'd fix this weird stock underperformance before going further with overclocks, but i just can't figure what i messed up after that first test. I'm now about to reinstall Windows 10 as a last resort. If that doesn't work i'll be out of options.

Vellinious

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
These Ryzen processors don't like heat very much. They tend to run worse, the warmer they get. You're using the stock cooler and overclocking.....I'd really advise against that.

I hit in the 1400s with my 1600X....lower temps and try again.

rob.salewytsch

Prominent
Sep 6, 2017

This is a very helpful suggestion. I assumed that since the system was stable at 3.2 and 3.7 (with the ram at 3200) that it meant that it was the cpu that was the issue when trying to go to 3.8

Since I have read that ryzen loves it's fast RAM, does lowering my ram speed to increase my cpu by 100-200 Mhz seem like a good trade off? My RAM sticks are rated at 3200, and while I understand that technically that speed is an overclock, what would I set the RAM to for it's default?

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017
If you actually have a Ryzen chip that will do more than 4GHz on a 24/7 safe voltage you'd be one of the lucky few. Most even fall a little bit short of that. 3.8-3.9GHz seems to be the norm for most chips although the 1800x is more than likely going to be capable of 4GHz.

Vellinious

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013

I think 2400 is base, but....just reset the CMOS and then don't change the memory settings until you find your stable CPU clock. Once you find your stable CPU clock, then try bumping the memory to 3200. If it remains stable, you're good to go. If it doesn't, them back the memory off a little. Even on my Sammy B-dies, I've found that 2933 still offers good performance and runs much more easily, and without extra voltage to keep it stable.

Vellinious

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013

I think motherboard selection, and overclocker skill plays a LOT into that. I've personally owned 3 different 1500X and 4 different 1600X and every single one of them would hit 4ghz. I've noticed that a lot of the people that end up having issues hitting decent clocks are using boards on the B350 chipset, or lower quality 370s.

Is it possible I hit the lottery and every single one of those chips? I guess...but I have NEVER been that lucky in my entire life. lol

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017

That for me is really hard to believe??????? 7 CPU's???? No way, you should go play the lotto..Example this guy we try to help he hit a wall too https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/856783-ryzen-5-1500x-overclocking/..

You could expect 3.7-3.9GHz on the stock cooler on most ryzens but after that yeah you could buy a better cooler and of course a better board(and all that trouble and extra money is not worth the extra 1GHz), Specially i have heard people here complaining about the i7 8700K that doesn't have a cooler but it can actually hit 5GHz so do u thing they will get a better coler for only 1GHz?.. a 1600 I tested I got 3.75GHz stable with decent temps and noise on the stock cooler, maybe could have handled 3.775GHz with worse temps and noise.
While the 1500X has less cores, it won't actually go any further than the 6 or 8 core Ryzens, I have a Ryzen 7 and it hits a TITANIUM wall after 3.9GHz (note I have a custom liquid set up XSPC EX360 High Performance Radiator (Supports 3 x 120mm Fans just for the CPU)

Vellinious

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
Ya get what you paid for. If your CPU needs $400 worth of cooling, and you buy $100 worth of cooling, you're not going to get what you could out of it.

I use custom loops on all my builds, and have a very good setup for my test bench.

Sometimes the difference between a very good overclock and a crap overclock is a matter of adjusting voltages correctly. SoC voltage, memory voltage, LLC settings, CPU input voltage, etc, etc, etc.....it's not all just slamming the CPU with core voltage, running up the multiplier and pressing the start key. lol

rob.salewytsch

Prominent
Sep 6, 2017

Well...for those of us who don't know anymore than just slamming, and running and pressing, do you have a guide of some sort? B/c I literally don't know what I am doing and just followed tips to get to 3.7 @ 1.3. Technically I don't get to open my computer until xmas so I am trying to prepare.

Does resetting the CMOS undo my BIOS flash also? Or does it just undo the changes to the settings that I manually changed?

Vellinious

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
Resetting the CMOS just reverts the bios settings back to default.

Settings can be different from one motherboard to the next. Even among the same model of board.

As a general rule of thumb, using LLC at medium settings is the best for daily clocks. Too high puts undue stress and heat on the VRM. Too low and it doesn't account enough for droop on the core.

CPU input voltage around 1.9 for most daily clocks is all that's really needed. If you start running higher vcore, then bumping the CPU input voltage can help maintain stability. I'd never run more than 1.95v for input voltage, though....and even then, only with good cooling.

Alot depends on your setup....just gotta get your manual out and learn what the voltages and different settings do. Use google to see if there's an overclocking guide with your specific motherboard. MSI, ASUS, ASRock, et al, all have a tendency to call all of these different settings something just a little bit different. So learning the terminology that your board manufacturer uses is quite handy.

TLDR: I can't really tell you what to set to make your overclock stable....every system is different, even systems with the exact same parts.

waveriderj

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018

Hmmm possibly. I have the 1600X on the Wraith Spire cooler (even though everyone says it won't work for OC'ing) and my chip is set at 3.9 and a resting temp of 33*C. I can;t remember my voltage as I have it on auto, but I think its around 3.75

Vellinious

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013

3.75 vcore would melt the board, the cpu and...just about everything in the system. I don't think that's it. lol

waveriderj

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018

3.75volts?

waveriderj

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018

Says VDDCR CPU voltage is 1.337V so yeah I was off