Amd phenom 3.4 quad v.s 6 core ?

bonzabouy777

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
and what diect benifit it would have on programs that cannot see nor were specificaly written to use the power of the multi-core cpu be-it intel or amd. personally am fan of amd same tech for half the cost , secondly i understand that if i had to of the new 6 core cpu and found a mobo that supported two cpu and either sli or crossfire id wet my pants any idea's lookin for a mobo that has iether sli/crossfire northbridge/chipset and supports iether intel/amd and accomadates two phsical cpu's now were talking

Solution
The Phenom and x6 have the same cores, so for single or lightly threaded apps they should behave the same at equal clock speeds. Most people if they could would get the x6 as they tend to OC to the same levels, or close enough. (not sure if the x6 can hit 4GHz, but I've heard of 3.6GHz or so and those extra 2 cores probably help make up that 400MHz.)

Multi socket mobos are pretty much only found in the server space. Consumer apps just aren't written to have that many threads. If you want more then 6 cores, you'll have to grab a server setup. Problem there is you have ECC ram, and possibly limited support for GPUs. My advice is to stick with a normal setup. 4 or 6 cores is more then enough for anything you can throw at it.

4745454b

Titan
The Phenom and x6 have the same cores, so for single or lightly threaded apps they should behave the same at equal clock speeds. Most people if they could would get the x6 as they tend to OC to the same levels, or close enough. (not sure if the x6 can hit 4GHz, but I've heard of 3.6GHz or so and those extra 2 cores probably help make up that 400MHz.)

Multi socket mobos are pretty much only found in the server space. Consumer apps just aren't written to have that many threads. If you want more then 6 cores, you'll have to grab a server setup. Problem there is you have ECC ram, and possibly limited support for GPUs. My advice is to stick with a normal setup. 4 or 6 cores is more then enough for anything you can throw at it.

Solution

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Me you understand complitlee, I upgreydid from X4 9fyefye to Thoobon wit sick cors and my rendereeng tymes deekreez by allmose fitee per cent. Is goot if u uze moastlee apps like rendering video,

not sure how to answer u wetting pants were talking but maybee u need use water closet firz

bonzabouy777

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
ok so pound for pound 6 cores over 4 i get that part but here is a ? i have for ya all i have currently a 3.4 qud core w a 790 or nvidia chipset think its 780 but not sure anyway 4 gigs ddr2 sli ram and 3 250 series xfx cards now ? is if i wanted to build anothr sytem amd or intel ? crossfire or sli tech amd ,y dream board would be a 2 physical cpu board that fits amd phenoms w 8 ram slots ddr3 or better north bridge would b based on the current fastest chip and the board would have 6 pci-e slots for outright gpu rendering but programming has not even caught up yet most advanced games only see one core so why all the hpe i mean sure is fast as hell but really

You need to understand this part first.. No desktop CPU(s) can be paired.. They can only work individually i.e. single processor on board.. If you wish to build up a rig with two or more processors onboard then you've to move towards server grade CPU's namely the Xeon's (Intel) or Opteron's (AMD).. Those processors may be based on the same pin count as their desktop versions but have necessary arrangements/changes made to their architecture which enables them to be paired with another processor of the same make on the same board.. For example, the EVGA SR-2 Classified motherboard supports the use of two LGA 1366 Xeon processors together.. It might suit your requirements as it has 12 RAM slots and 6 (possibly more, not sure on this) pci-e x16 slots..