AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition - A New Hope?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hehe
I don't get why Britney is so popular (and sappy). Artists like Kate Walsh or Dido are sooo much better.

I don't understand why Bratney is popular either, except for her value for keeping the entertainment news industry in business. I can't say I've even heard of the other artists you mention, but I somehow don't think they sound anything like what I listen to unless one of them did a cover of "For Whom The Bell Tolls" or "Man in the Box."

My brother has an orange beetle He has that classic one with the trunk at the front and the engine at the back.

Now those are a different story. They were ubiquitous way back in the day because they were cheap and ran forever. There were still a few people who drove those when I went to high school, although by that point there were more new Beetles on the road than the 1950s-1970s originals like your brother has.

and drives it while listening to Britney Ewww .

Somebody needs to get that boy some real music STAT. You should run out and get him a copy of Alice in Chain's Best of the Box, The Offspring's Greatest Hits and Godsmack's Good Times, Bad Times: 10 Years of Godsmack. Throw in some Metallica (just not the St. Anger album, which SUCKED) and Black Sabbath for good measure.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
While we're at it also toss in some Megadeth, Cannibal Corpse, Pantera, Danzig, and maybe some Jag Panzer/Nevermore... Oh and for good measure from Avenged Sevenfold and BFMV.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
yeah, nobody mentions the fact that the memory controller is on the cpu instead of on the motherboard with amd, making the proc slightly higher in cost, but taking the mobo down a little bit in cost. and when you do oc an amd it's all on the proc, so your mobo won't get fried unless you decide to oc the mobo too... i kind of like it, and intel is supposed to be going with (they stated themselves) an onboard memory controller, but i have yet to see this as there is a big market of people who don't mind running up their mobo components. and HOW THE HELL DO YOU GET AVENGED SEVENFOLD in with Cannibal Corpse? OMG, I saw CC live in cleveland oh, it was awesome.. i also saw arch enemy there, they were the best, i was sooo close to the guitarist i could smell his breath... he came over and jammed with me for an entire song... i could smell his feet on the table between us for the entire solo! (needless to say i wasn't in the mosh pit, i was kind of up on stage... :p

and back to the subject... i'll buy amd just for competition sake... i know you guys really like the latest and greatest processors... but if you really want your next build to be even better... buy amd, dump money into the competition and it will serve you in the long run... just like right now someone stated there should be 3 not 1 45nm procs coming off the line... but there is not because intel doesn't have someone breathing down their necks... it's a simple principle if you really think about it... and who knows... a few hundred thousand black editions later... and amd might finally afford to reward us with a wicked awesome quad black edition that will stomp anything you know and hold dear to your heart... just think...$150 dollar quad core BE from amd at 2.4ghz, $40 cpu cooler, ocing to 4.0ghz on air? priceless! :p hehe.

BUT this is all just basic economics, i'm sure you all know how this works. :p

I understand the economics portion but if you can get a Phenom to 4GHz on air let us know. Most sites have been lucky to get it to 3GHz let alone beyond that.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
that was purely hypothetical... pending after the economics part kicked in, :p ( the "few hundred thousand black editions later" meaning that we all buy the good amd procs. hehe)

and i expect you to understand the economics... the point was, support competition... i have yet to come up with a good analogy for the situation, but i'll be sure to keep you posted for whenever i do come up with one. :p

well, secondary point was the price vs. what comes with the proc too... hence the mem controller part and mainstream performance is good on amd's side, it's just bad press (5000+ BE is a good eg) and the quads aren't quite at the right stage for us yet.... but i know... nobody really cares about the long term and where most of the profits come from, it's all about top end and hype (hence dell dumping amd like douche bags). not many of us can see that far ahead, we all assume that there will ALWAYS be competition to drive it out.... it's actually written into law that there cannot be a monopoly in the us... so, umm... if there is a monopoly, your tax money (if you're a us citizen or buy anything from the us) will just go to pay for amd to get back on their feet eventually... the only saving grace if nobody supports amd and they go under is a company as large as samsung buying out amd... and even then, it's not a good financial move on their part in the short (2-6 years) term, and will drive prices up on a TON of electronics. (samsung is one major provider to hold prices down, especially memory) or maybe google? but what's that spell for us? one more massive company plowing over another. I wouldn't doubt it if we started seeing "ibm" processors if they weren't partially in bed with intel, and i hate the fact that they work with sony, and trying to not tick off amd just in case something drastic happens... it's all business economics and nobody wants to help out the small guy except for the small guy... and who wants to admit that they are the small guy except me and you...(another post entirely: why amd constantly rises and drops on the stock market and why they want to become private) the small guys? I build pc's for a living, it's a hard market... but I do it anyway. it is kind of sad really, and if i see amd go under, i won't touch a pc after my last amd proc dies or a new microchip company opens up business. I'm serious, and everyone should be... because if not, you'll be playing crysis at low settings for the rest of your life. and if you decide to say ignorantly "fanboy" or "fanboi" or however you decide to say it... i'd to the same if the tables were turned or if they ever do. and i'll quote the words of someone that was not portrayed as the most intelligent person in the world, but yet seemingly wise. "and that's all i have to say about that" good night...

Well IBM doesn't care. Either way they are getting money. They help develop on both sides but are mainly software. Don't forget that IBM helped AMD with their IMC and their 64bit and their dual cores.

AMD will not go under. They now have ATI as a crutch. Yes that will hurt ATIs parts severly and instead of getting a constant flow of great GPUs we will see a mediocre flow. I guess NVidia will be the better performer for now and then later ATI will develop another 9700Pro(R300) to blow NVidia to Pluto. Hopefully the R700 does that.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007

after i posted this i read an article that pits IBM as the most logical choice to buy amd if it would at all be possible due to reserving the right to the x86 architecture. and IBM has their hands on a LOT of stuff... I live right down the road from one of their offices, and i totally see shady looking people going in and out all the time (not really). So, I don't think that anyone has mentioned the fact that the 790fx northbridge is generally noted as being one of the best on the current market. I forget why, I didn't make a hard note of that for some reason... Speaking of which... how's the 770 northbridge? And I highly doubt they will go under, it's really just not possible due to monopoly laws. ANYWAY.... it's pretty simple, and I think I will be enjoying an amd quad core in the future... just not at the moment because I can't afford to dump 200 bucks on a proc and 200 bucks on a mobo, and 200 bucks on a video card... that's just too much money for me at this point.

caveira2099

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008

If you can understand anything there:

http://www.spec.org/cpu2006/results/res2008q2/

I was just tired of trying to provide some good tech here, after all.

These spec.org results are not there to provide "non real world" performance comparissons. It is there to show how crappy are the software you all are running. The CPU's have a wasted potential when running sub-optimal apps (maybe everything on your pc?).

I am not a fanboy. I just know the facts. Common use software falsely claims to "fully" support multi-cores. They actually don't. If they did, results posted here and in many other sites would be far different.

You may now ask why everyday softwares don't support multi-cores properly, or why are they "aparently" optimized for some branded cpu. But that was never my point here. My objective was to show you how wrong was to blame amd's new tech without looking at the apps' kernels. And that was the stupid propaganda THG and many others have been into.

Times change, and you must accept the fact that multi-cpus can't be explored with previous "single cpu" minded knowledge.

Oh BTW, I am sorry to disappoint you. I'll hardly contribute to a community (THG) like this. You probably believe that the best thing on this planet is Micro$oft-made or a crappy game that needs top OC'ing, not that there's a lot, a great lot of crap-like, badly written software around.

Funny thing is I work right next to IBM at their site here in Arizona. I have talked to a few of the people there and they told me about a few things.

You should do what I do. I build a new system every 2-3 years. I mean completley new. None of this putting a new CPU into a 3 year old board that wont take advantage to the new CPUs true power. I mean ground up new. And I don't go with the highest end parts when a high end part does the job just as well.

Like the X38 chipset from Intel. I was thinking of getting it. But the P35 chipset had been proven a good chipset and for much less. So why spend more when the part ha sbeen proven to be good?

caveira2099, Sorry but thats all the server side that you linked to. Doesn't matter to me as I wont use those apps. In the real world such as games and DivX and so on is what matters to me.

Microsoft is not that bad and bashing them makes no sense to me. They helped to push the technology world we have now by offering an easy to use standardized OS. So instead of having 5 or more OS's to learn and be developed on we have one that the mass uses.

caveira2099

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008

Then I tell you, it is not only about server side. Those spec.org benchmarks show what's inside an architecture/cpu, not how they run some apps.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough: people are writing "this or that cpu is crap", when they actually should be blaming the software.

I didn't say that MS's or common apps are bad (evil?). They are bad written, or "careless built" if you prefer.

If you still feel like blaming something, please blame the software first, all of them (including the benchmarks), and the OS too, for obvious reasons (it "drives" many important thing under the hood). They are responsible for at least 80% of your "computing" experience, not the cpu alone.

It is a pitty that you agree to pay a lot of money for something (software) that doesn't deliver what it should, in terms of performance and/or quality. You might note that some people do care for their money spent on software, and trying another OS is an alternative. Should this statement be wrong and we would not see so many people trying some user-friendly gnu/linux like Ubuntu. But if you don't want/can/feel like learning something else, that's your choice.

Um I didn't pay a lot of money for XP or Vista. Paid $120 for XP Pro 2 years ago and $130 for Vista Premium in 2007. Thats not bad. And I have used Linux and Unix type OS'es before. Don't like that you have to turn all the parts on in some and I have caused them to crash and lock me out and pretty much die before. Of course I do crazy amounts of things all at once but it was the software not the hardware.

And you are right. 80% of the experience is the software. But when you take 2 CPU's on the same program and one does better on that app than the other you can then say that one is better. As for it being called crappy, Precott P4's are still recognized as bad CPU's since they used more power and didn't perform that much better.

You can say it all you like but software is how we compare. Yes it may be badly written but still that means each CPU tested has the same conditions therfore whichever one does the best is better in that app.

caveira2099

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008

Ok, that's your point of view. Personally, I think that there's a lot more and better things to do with $120-$130.

You missed a crucial point, that you might not be that familiar with. Concerning computing, the conditions under wich a program is written and/or compiled most certainly do a great influence on the cpu performance. It is perfectly possible to "tweak" a code to perform better on one kind of cpu (that's exactly what I work with). What would you expect knowing that the (internal, architectural) differences between Intel's and AMD's main products are wider than before?

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
Much better for developers as well. I still remember the pre-VESA days when you had to hand-code support for any video chip you cared to support. WinG and DirectX alone were godsends (nods to OpenGL as well, but I'd rather have one dominant API.).

Maybe I'm being overly paranoid, but again from a developer's perspective I've always been a bit leary of the prospect of having to support a product for users that have access to the OS source code. :??:

Sorry for that... back on topic folks...

cyberscribe

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
The AMD website states that due to processor design limitations only 2 DDR2-1066 ram modules can be used.

If you try to use 4 DDR2-1066 memory modules they will automatically default to DDR2-800 speed operation.

Quote from Asus website (M3A78-T specs):

"Due to AMD CPU limitation, DDR2 1066 is supported by AM2+ CPU for one DIMM per channel only. "

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
This is a really old thread. What's the purpose of thread necromancy? Are the recent spate of old AMD threads brought back to a semblance of life due to people wanting to lower expectations for Phenom II? As in "look at how much you guys expected it to all work ten months ago, and look how B2 turned out".

Status
Not open for further replies.